Questions on Savage-style barrel nut

Doozy

If you were to mate an action and barrel that uses a small shank Savage fit,...

1) is there a particular barrel nut you would recommend?

2) would using some anti-seize be a good thing? (I'm assuming the answer is "no" but I'm wondering why.)

The X-caliber Savage nut takes a regular wrench instead of the Savage notched wrench.
http://www.x-caliber.net/savageremage783-barrel-nuts
0002245_barrel-nuts-for-shoulderless-prefit-barrels.jpg

Unless you want to be taking the barrel on and off I recommend not using a barrel nut at all, especially on small shank actions, and hears why. With a barrel nut the barrel shank has to be turned down to the thread size all the way. Without the barrel nut the threaded part of the shank has to fit the receiver ring threads, but the rest of the shank can be 1.200 or 1.250 depending on the barrel size.

This gives you a 1/4" of extra support for most of the chamber. Chambers expand on firing and return to original size after firing. the larger the shank the less expansion takes place and the easier it is to extract the spent case. The larger shank also helps support the barrel and give a better bedding surface. I do it for many other reasons to.

Just something to think about

J E CUSTOM

@J E Custom , I definitely value your input, but I'm so unfamiliar with gunsmithing, I don't understand most of what you said.

For example, I don't understand this sentence: "With a barrel nut the barrel shank has to be turned down to the thread size all the way."

So...The best I can do is figure that you're saying a small shank barrel nut doesn't take full advantage of the threads on the barrel shank, and so I might as well use a system that uses that extra 1/4" and which will give more stability, especially in the expansion and contraction of the barrel.

But I'm super confused because as I compare the large- and small-shank barrel nut, I find that the small nut is actually larger (7/8" vice 5"8")! What? That doesn't make any sense.

Also, I can't access your website from my work/government computer (It gives me an "Access Denied" error), so I can't see if you offer some alternative. I am aware of American Rifle Company's BARLOC, but I admit that I don't understand it. And I am completely ignorant on what other system you may be hinting at; If I don't use a barrel nut, what other option is there? My action says to use a small shank Savage barrel nut.

Thanks in advance for being patient with me.

@J E Custom , I definitely value your input, but I'm so unfamiliar with gunsmithing, I don't understand most of what you said.

For example, I don't understand this sentence: "With a barrel nut the barrel shank has to be turned down to the thread size all the way."

So...The best I can do is figure that you're saying a small shank barrel nut doesn't take full advantage of the threads on the barrel shank, and so I might as well use a system that uses that extra 1/4" and which will give more stability, especially in the expansion and contraction of the barrel.

But I'm super confused because as I compare the large- and small-shank barrel nut, I find that the small nut is actually larger (7/8" vice 5"8")! What? That doesn't make any sense.

Also, I can't access your website from my work/government computer (It gives me an "Access Denied" error), so I can't see if you offer some alternative. I am aware of American Rifle Company's BARLOC, but I admit that I don't understand it. And I am completely ignorant on what other system you may be hinting at; If I don't use a barrel nut, what other option is there? My action says to use a small shank Savage barrel nut.

Thanks in advance for being patient with me.

What happens when you use a barrel nut, the small shank threads are 1.055 diameter for the full length of the shank. The large ring Savage uses a 1.1/6 x 20 thread. the barrel shanks normally come in a 1.250 shank diameter, so the elimination of the barrel nut adds just over .200 thousandths to the shank diameter.

It's just a matter of preference and strength, and it eliminates an added thread joint.

PS: I will check out the web site to see what the problem is.

J E CUSTOM

If you were to mate an action and barrel that uses a small shank Savage fit,...

1) is there a particular barrel nut you would recommend?

2) would using some anti-seize be a good thing? (I'm assuming the answer is "no" but I'm wondering why.)
On most of my projects I use NSS nuts and lugs, especially if I get a barrel from him.
IMHO, the action needs to be squared up if one is really looking for improvements with a ground lug and square faced nut.

I have Savage rifles barreled both ways with a shouldered barrel and as a prefit, same reamer. There is not enough difference in the two to argue. Both are used from 100-800 yards.
A good prefit with good chamber and throating makes as much difference as anything, at least in my findings.

Ah-ha! I understand now. Thank you guys.

Since I already bought a Savage pre-fit barrel, that ship has sailed. (I got a good deal on a Proof barrel). But thank you for the heads up.

@J E Custom , there's nothing wrong with your website; government computers are very picky and they block a lot of websites. I'm at home now and looked you up. That looks like a great muzzle brake! 60%-70% Reduction in recoil sounds amazing! If I hadn't already purchased a pretty good one (on a black Friday sale), I would consider getting the Assassin. So now I know two things for next time...

Last edited:
I also use the Northland Shooter Suoply, Criterion barrels and the supplied barrel nuts. The fit and finish work is excellent, and James is quite knowledgeable and very helpful. I have mounted them three different rifles(2-6.5x47L, 6.5x284). Between the three rifles a have a couple of thousand rounds fired. The are all exceptionally accurate, with consistency equal to my best customs, using them for PRS competition and LRH to 1000* yards. I have used Lok-Tite anti-seize on all three, and have not experienced any issues.

The only barrel nut barrel you have to worry about are the big magnums, build those on a large shank for sure. If it wasn't safe they would be out of business by now.

The only barrel nut barrel you have to worry about are the big magnums, build those on a large shank for sure. If it wasn't safe they would be out of business by now.

None of the savages are unsafe :)
It is just the way I prefer to build them for the reasons I mentioned instead of using the barrel nut.

Different strokes for different folks.

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.