The “other” hpbt bullets for hunting?

This is the blood trail from the bull I posted in 56, every time he hit the ground he blew blood out his nose and mouth, he was running and only made it 30 yards or so and piled up there was blood blown out very where!

1416977964301.jpg

This was a little bit of the blood trail from a mule deer buck I shot at 500 yards with a 215 Berger starting out at 2460 fps from my 308, heavy quartering just missed his hind quarter entering his flank and exiting just in in front of the of shoulder. My daughter was 8 I think and she tracked him by herself, she was running the range finder and picking which buck got wacked that day. blood streaming out of him, chunks of organs falling out of him.

1417324836031.jpg

I've not taken a whole ton of deer with them behind the shoulder, but wouldn't hesitate. Low tech softpoints are maddeningly effective for most hunting, boringly reliable. Not good for shooting stem to stern and not very emphatic at lower impact velocities compared to true frangible bullets. But for 90 percent of real world hunting nothing more is truly needed, if you're waiting to take unrushed broadside shots (shoulder or not) at ordinary hunting ranges (I'm intrigued by long range hunting but have never needed to shoot further than 300 yards nor do I seek an excuse to do so when hunting). They do the two things you need to get done, penetrate enough, cause massive trauma along their way. Also, they're easy to load for, easily accurate. Sometimes low tech is low stress.

Thanks Sir, appreciate it

Lots of interesting food for thought and feedback here, I've learned a few things and/or heard viewpoints I hadn't before.

I do notice however that we are not discussing the subject of this thread at all anymore, which is the experiences with and behaviour of non-berger otm/bthp bullets when used for hunting, notably the hornady bthp match, the lapua scenar, the Sierra matchking, the nosler rdf, and as some have referenced earlier the nosler custom competition would fall into this category, as would the Barnes match burner, speer bthp match, and no doubt several others.

Lots of talk about the effectiveness of bergers, which i appreciate and feel helps reinforce their status as the yardstick against which we measure the terminal effectiveness of other projectiles of comparable design, BUT right in the first sentence of my original post I affirmed my understanding of bergers being established as proven hunting bullets, that wasn't in question.

No criticism or anything, I myself participated in conversation about bergers, about monometals, softpoints, tipped bullets, bonded bullets, pretty much everything besides the otm/hpbt bullets I was asking about (as I have some experience with the other conventional hunting bullets but not with these) and have found the conversation informative and productive, but I'd like to reset this talk to the original inquiry and redirect things back to experiences, opinions, and even theories about these "non-berger hpbt bullets".

I have had good success using the JLK 142 VLD Match in my 6.5x284 for about ten years with a few dozen deer/antelope/coyote out to 1200 yards. I was fortunate to acquire a lot of 1200ct lot several years ago. With Swampy's passing, I'm not sure what has happened with JLK.
http://www.swampworks.com/jlk/
Shown: recovered JLK(62%) from a mule deer at +500 yards
0227D235-46D2-4C67-B1D7-DDC0ECFF3C22.jpeg

Last edited:
I have had good success using the JLK 142 VLD Match in my 6.5x284 for about ten years with a few dozen deer/antelope/coyote out to 1200 yards. I was fortunate to acquire a lot of 1200ct lot several years ago. With Swampy's passing, I'm not sure what has happened with JLK.
http://www.swampworks.com/jlk/
Shown: recovered JLK(62%) from a mule deer at +500 yards
View attachment 139883
Almost forgot about those jlk bullets! Thanks for the report. Are you able to upload a photo of the tip of this projectile for comparative purposes?

I just built a 26 wssm AI and I am shootin the 139 scenar with very good accuracy at just around 3100, I may try it this year, if I can find some stinkin RE26 :(lolView attachment 139886

That's a funky looking round, I like it. With the improved shoulder it makes the wssm look even more like a square! Do let us know how that goes If it comes to pass. As for the rl26....we'll pray for you? Or you could buy some rl 25 and use a sharpie to turn the 5 into a 6?

I have about 25 pounds of 25 but it is a lighter powder by volume and to get it up to pressure it is way compressed where the 26 is perfect in that volume case.:)

I have about 25 pounds of 25 but it is a lighter powder by volume and to get it up to pressure it is way compressed where the 26 is perfect in that volume case.:)

Right. I suppose that's a big consideration in a case that short. The enduron powders are denser than the older imr stick powders, perhaps 4955 or 7977 or 7828 ssc would do as a replacement. Or 4000mr? Or ramshots new lrt? It's a ball powder with a burn rate similar to retumbo but much much denser.

Ahhh!!! I realize I'm doing it again, taking the conversation away from my own question! I just find all this stuff so blasted fun to talk about (and do legitimately have adult adhd, so I'm distractable at the best of times)

I am right there with you lol thanx for the advice none the less! I do have a bunch of 7828 ssc ..sorry for the hijack

No hijack, no apologies, and actually on the subject of these match type bullets and their terminal performance, I see in your photographs of the loaded rounds that the particular scenar you're loading seems to have a decently wide hollowpoint, not pointed or closed or hard to see the hole. That should be a good thing I would think. I've been reading a ton of stuff about this subject on old threads and other forums as well and the scenar seems to be loved or hated, some saying it just punches holes and others saying it's the best of the bunch, the most polarizing one being the 155 30 cal. I find myself thinking that even if you could guarantee fragmentation, if hunting anything bigger than a deer I'd want more projectile mass/sectional density in a 30 caliber using bullets that utilize this method of killing.

I HBN coat them so I will have to make sure I get them clear. I really didn't build the 26 to hunt with , I don't have a rifle I can go put 20 rounds down range in a group,so I built this one. It is a very good shooting rifle and I may try it.

That is one thing I pay attention to is the SD. One rifle that I have that I have not mentioned is a big 7mm ultra rogue that I shoot the 195 eol in at 3200fps, I killed some deer it with last year but it blew the bullet up, no exit. now they were all DRT but messy. I think that bullet would do better at 2900 launch, I do notice the thin jacket on that bullet mainly when I have to pull them, they dent super easy.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.