The “other” hpbt bullets for hunting?

Calvin45

berger bullets are established as match type hunting bullets, with special consideration given to ensuring bullet upset and fragmentation for terminal performance.

I'm looking for input, be it opinion, observation, experience, regarding non-berger hpbt match type bullets and their terminal performance, as the general consensus is, well, nonexistent. I know there's lots of discussions out there about this but I want to see if in recent times anyone here has used any of the following and what happened.

Nosler rdf

Hornady hpbt (not eld, just the plain old match bullets)

Sierra matchking.

You are going down a slippery slope, why use a paper punching bullet on game when there are bullets out there that are made for game. Most game is shot under 400 yards, use the correct tool for the job.
Just curious if there's actually a notable difference between bergers and the others of comparable design. I struggle to see why there would be. For what it's worth the bulk of my hunting so far has been between 150 and 250 yards, mostly with old school hornady interlocks. I'm just an inquisitive type. There's no shortage of reports out there of "paper punchers" attaining more emphatic terminal performance than dedicated hunting bullets.

You are going down a slippery slope, why use a paper punching bullet on game when there are bullets out there that are made for game. Most game is shot under 400 yards, use the correct tool for the job.

Cause it's nice to use a bullet that kills stuff and is accurate, best thing many of us have done is ignore the marketing and use bullets that kill, you realize your on a long range hunting forum right!!

Each bullet is different, jacket thickness and meplat make a difference between manufacture but we've used all kinds of bullets from many manufactures and most work and work well but they do work differently so each one deserves careful study and us.

Cause it's nice to use a bullet that kills stuff and is accurate, best thing many of us have done is ignore the marketing and use bullets that kill, you realize your on a long range hunting forum right!!
Yes I do realize we are on a hunting forum, Not a 1000 yard benchrest forum. Hunting bullets don't mean they are not accurate, do your duty as a hunter and be ethical and always try for clean kills. I have developed at least 4 rifles that shoot 1/4 inch groups at 100 yards with nosler accubonds

I have used the Hornady hpbt 162s in my 284 win. and you cant tell the difference between those and the 168 bergers. also have tested the 225 hpbt in my 30 cal. and will have no problem using either. both of them are running between 2850-3000 fps. now the 140 hpbt in my 6.5 prc acts like a varmint bullet and you can tell when you check the dirt back stop and there is jacket and lead fragments everywhere but they are also running 3140 fps in a 7.5 twist and that is more than likely the difference. now the 153 A-Tips might be something but need more testing

Not wanting to turn this into a debate about the accuracy of "hunting" bullets, or the ethics of hunting with "target" bullets, or the competing philosophies of what constitutes ideal terminal performance, or the question of how far is too far.

Just wondering if anyone has anything to say good or bad about what they've observed or experienced with non-tipped conventional hpbt/otm match bullets, especially the three I've listed.

I doubt anyone on here would have any intent other than the pursuit of fast ethical kills. I doubt anyone on here would be saying that conventional hunting bullets are incapable of accuracy, and of course if there's an implication that they don't kill and aren't accurate our experiences would dismiss that. Let's have an accusation, assumption, condescension free conversation about an interesting subject from as objective a standpoint as possible, please, everybody.

I have used the Hornady hpbt 162s in my 284 win. and you cant tell the difference between those and the 168 bergers. also have tested the 225 hpbt in my 30 cal. and will have no problem using either. both of them are running between 2850-3000 fps. now the 140 hpbt in my 6.5 prc acts like a varmint bullet and you can tell when you check the dirt back stop and there is jacket and lead fragments everywhere but they are also running 3140 fps in a 7.5 twist and that is more than likely the difference. now the 153 A-Tips might be something but need more testing
This is the kind of thing I'm looking for.

I shot a young bear with 30 cal. Hornady 168 Hpbt - 25 yards. Went in behind front shoulder, veered off and lodged itself in his neck just below his head. Bullet never opened up & expanded.

Also friend used same bullet @ 500 yards on a young bull elk, 3 shots all of them penciled through, we caught one bullet in offside shoulder, no expansion.

That was enough for me! Now running tipped bullets with no expansion issues in the ol 30-06.

I shot a young bear with 30 cal. Hornady 168 Hpbt - 25 yards. Went in behind front shoulder, veered off and lodged itself in his neck just below his head. Bullet never opened up & expanded.

Also friend used same bullet @ 500 yards on a young bull elk, 3 shots all of them penciled through, we caught one bullet in offside shoulder, no expansion.

That was enough for me! Now running tipped bullets with no expansion issues in the ol 30-06.
Thanks for the report!

I'd add to this conversation that there's no shortage of anecdotal reports of explicitly labeled "hunting" bullets performing inconsistently or failing to expand, right away it seems if someone has a bad experience with hpbt bullets people say "well that's because they're not for hunting". I've heard many people complain about monometals poking holes and killing slow, and I've seen conventional softpoints fail to penetrate adequately.

Regarding the hornady bullet failing to open...that's great to know. I've read somewhere about guys who love their match bullet load and don't want to change it opening up the hollow point very slightly, enlarging the meplat at the cost of a few points bc value. Perhaps that would ensure this undesirable performance doesn't happen?

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.