Tell me about the 338 Ultra Mag/ please

DixieFreedom

My world up until now ends at the 30.06
I have never even fired a 7mm rem magnum. Don't know a thing in the world beyond the 30.06 but lately I have been toying with the idea of one big boomer.

50 BMG is TOO expensive. So...

Toss up between a 338 Lapua and a 338 RUM

Please educate me a bit. I intend to slowly and methodically work my way into the ranks of the long range hunters here in PA. A whitetail at about 1500 yards is my long range goal here. I know I have a lot to learn but I have to start somewhere!

Thanks

The Lapua will push a 300 gr MK about 150-200 fps faster, has better brass and will give a bit more reach. But takes a bit of work to go into a Remmy action.
If I was to choose a RUM I would do the 7mm or the 300 RUM.

Aren't the 7mm projectiles a little light for the ultra long range game? Don't the heavier 338's have better BC's in the heavier bullets? 220 grains and up?

John Burns is using a modified 7 STW and have seen him take one shot kills out to 1000 on elk with it. Past that I would opt for a 300 RUM or the 338 Lapua. The Cauterucio 7mm 176 has a BC of .750, I don't think the 240 gr 30 cal is that high. Energy does play into it but I believe shot placement is the most important thing. The 300 RUM is a little bit flatter than the 7 WSM at 1000. Haven't compared it to the 7 RUM yet. But the big thing is the 7mm RUM won't beat you up as much as the 300 RUM or the 338 Lapua.
The best way to beat the Lapua is to neck up the 300 RUM and ackley improve it. The 300 RUM is a bigger case than the 338 RUM.

As an add on- I re-read your original post- you mentioned whitetail at 1500. In that case the 7 would be more than enough, there is guys on here that have taken deer at 1000 with a 243 Ackley.
Don't take me wrong, the Lapua is a great round as is the 300 or 338 RUM. I am just suggesting that that big of a boomer isn't needed for deer. Those are more longrange elk rounds. just giving another perspective on it is all.
I have built and shot all of the calibers mentioned and you will be happy with any of them.

[ 08-15-2004: Message edited by: chris matthews ]

"The 300 RUM is a bigger case than the 338 RUM."

Really? Man! I did not know that.

Remington still has the Sendero in the 300 rum but not the 338.

Thanks!

Maybe I will start to take a long hard look at the 300rum.

Do you have a ballistics computer program? Anybody out there got some numbers to toss in here???

Thanks again.

"The best way to beat the Lapua is to neck up the 300 RUM and ackley improve it."

HEY! Maybe I will do just that...

What I am thinking is this. I can get an off the shelf Sendero at a fairly modest price compared to full blown custom. Then I can fiddle with it over the next several years getting it like I want. If the 300RUM Improved beats a 338 Lapua then that is the ticket for me for sure.

Thanks very much for the info.

Got any hard an fast trajectory and horsepower numbers on comparing these?

i did just that got a sendero in 338 rum and sent it to www.rwhart.com for a new barrel and the works.it shoot great now and i love the brake.if i do it again i will get a used gun in 300 rum the cheapest one i can find.then have the work done on it.even a 300 win mag will work as long as all you need is a single shot.the stock was good on the sendero the trigger is now a jwell 1 pound.the lugs were lapped the action is now true and it has a skim bed and a hart break.also it is a switch barrel gun as well.the only thing i forgot to do was have the recoil lug pinned.i shoot it with a hart accuracy assist it makes the gun ride the bags like a bench gun love it thanks,keith

forgot to say im shooting a sierra 250 sbt or mhpbt at 3100 fps .the load is so accurate i have not even tried to find a better load.it's a max load but it shows no pressure at all .it has a 28.5 inch hart barrel.i use exbal with a palm and a LRF 1200 works great out to over 1200 yards.

Dixie,

Search all of the long range hunting board for the 300 Tomahawk, it is an improved version of the 300 RUM. There should be tons of info on it.

Andrew

Dixie, at 1500yds, I would still opt for the heavy bullet weights that the 30 and 338 bring. Personally shooting a 300RUM and 240gr MK. Impact energy at 1000m is impressive.

I have a friend who shoots a 280 with 168gr MK. At the same range, he puts light dents in the gong. The 240 almost shoots through it.

The big case 7's will launch the same bullet 200fps faster which gives you an extra 100 to 150yds of oomph. At 1000m (1100yds), the 7mm bullets do not impress me. For punching paper, no problem. For big game, I would err on the heavier side.

I am building my 338 Mystic. Very similar to the 338 Tomahawk. The benfits are better preformance over the Lapua, much cheaper brass, more available action choices.

Will consider the Lapua if it becomes a NATO cartridge.

Jerry

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.