Suggestions for Getting Started

TestPilot

New to LR shooting. Have read tons on this forum but there are so many choices and aspects that are not familiar yet. Looking for suggestions for entry level package to get started with. I would like to go with the 6mm BR cartridge. Savage seems to have a few offerings chambered for this round. Would I be better off going with a custom package initially given I really want something that will provide the capability to shoot .2's when my skill is in place? With all the custom gunsmiths, any suggestions on where to start if that's the route I choose? Budget is probably $3K or so initially for rifle/scope. Besides those, what other things are essential?
Appreciate all your input.

TestPilot,
I think a Savage in 6BR would be a great place to start. Personally, I have had a hankering for a Savage LRPV Left Port in this caliber with the 1-8" twist barrel ever since they hit the streets. This is one accurate little cartridge and the Savage rifle is no slouch.
It probably would not be the optimum LR big-game rifle, but for targets and varmints, you would be set. What a great cartridge to learn shooting form and ballistics on and you could shoot more, cheaper. It burns, on average 35gns of any one powder, or less.
I just bought my second Savage rifle and the first group out of it measured .3". If it produces this level of accuracy during barrel break-in, it can only get better. I'm getting 2.5" (and less) groups at 500yds. Savage shoots. :) JohnnyK.

Thanks JohnnyK...I've read nothing but good stuff about the Savage rifles and given that chasing Cape Buffalo phase of my life is for sure behind me, seems like the 6br would be a great hole puncher as well as give a pdog or two reason for some concern...What scope do you use? Seems like a lot of scopes have 1/4 MOA adjustment...Is that sufficient or do you really need 1/8 or less?

I use 1/4 MOA (both Leupolds) on my 6.5x284 and 7Mag and 1/8 MOA (both Nikons) on my .243 and .300WinMag. I think the 1/4 MOA will get you close enough to your intended target. JohnnyK.

JohnnyK is on the money IMO. I bought my first savage a few weeks back and love it. Very accurate and good value and can do a lot of the barrel swapping etc at home. You've got a good sized budget there. You could get a custom, but I would say get a stock savage, see how it shoots, then maybe upgrade it if nessasary. Remember, the budget has to include a bipod, rings, and base which are easily another $200.

I'm not sure how much reloading gear you have but guessing by the arsenal of pistols, you probably have some gear. You will need dies, shellplates, a case trimmer, priming device, etc. So remember that when you decide to buy.

A savage in .308win or 300wsm would also be good options. Those would also allow you to take light skinned game out to eventualy 800 or 1000+ with the wsm as your skills develop (I'm talking LOTS of practice, but you probably know that.) just looking ahead. For scopes, don't skimp. Leupold Mk4s, and NF are the favoured ones around here. I am ordering my first sightron SIII currently based on loads of positive reviews. A great rifle can really be held back by low quality optics.

Thanks OliverAlan...I think the Savage F Class in 6mm Norma BR might be the choice...As you guessed, I do have quite an array of reloading stuff and leaned to go slow in picking the components...I think that really applies to the rifle calibers given the accuracy sensitivity to COAL and all...Still got a lot to pick up on in that area and will be picking the brains of all the experience available here. I've been looking at the NF 8-32 x 56 Precision Benchrest...What mounting system would you recommend to put it on top of a Savage F Class? I'd also be interested in your thoughts on reticules. Lots of choices there and without any experience, hard to figure out the pros/cons of the different configurations...
Thanks again for all the info...

I dont have a 6br or target but i do use a savage for long range i built mine piece at a time form a stevens. Alot of people on savageshooters like the 12bench stock over the f class because it sit in the rear bag better i guess this is personal choice. I have stockade paire dog on my stevens i like it people have had him build custom savages for about 1500 this a little more than a target savage just an option. You being new to this stuff the 12 target would be great starting setup. What range are you trying to reach? is this bench rifle or hunting or both? If hunting then a good bipod such as harris i use the a caldwell and like it. If your looking at high end optics i would use farrel or bench source, NF or M4 for rings and a base. If you plan a Anti Cant and/or Angle Cosine Indicator i would go NF these are probly not needed for begining but maybe later on down the road. I would keep it very simple to begin with alots of practice and good form then add things as needed

Thanks Mopar440...I'll investigate the Target a bit...Who are you referring to when you mentioned the guy that builds custom savages for $1500? I don't really know what range I'm looking for...I'll use it for target initially to get a feel for LR shooting and will also be going after a pdog or two. My thoughts initially were to just get a good setup that was accurate and built in a way that I can expand/modify when that seems appropriate. From reading, it seems the savage action offers a pretty good starting point and with the apparent ease of swapping out barrels with that action it seems attractive. I don't know what to make of all the different stocks. I definitely will want to put a bipod up front for the pdog excursions. Can you explain what an "anti cant" and "Cosine" indicator are and how they are used? Probably something to do with keeping things vertical I'd guess. Also, back to stocks a minute...is bedding pretty much a given to do? Do most setups use a fully free floating barrel? I've read about some that have a contact point at the end.f
Appreciate all the info...

the savage 6br is a good choice. also a good nightforce or leupold . i use burris rings *** align with the plastic inserts to get the 10-15 moa to get to 1000 yards. cheapest and best way to mount a scope for long range

anti cant is simply a level to keep everything plum so when you adjustments make scope adjust they are just windage or elevation not both if your rifle is canted left you dial in 20 clicks to move to a far target you also have move the bullet impacted left

Angle Cosine Indicator is a protractor it gives you the angle of your rifle used alot for people that hunt in mountainous areas angle will change the way bullet drops shooting up hill your bullet drops more down less drop used with a ballistic chart or software

Kevin Rayhill @ www.stockadegunstocks.com is who i was referring to he has not build one for me i got my stock form him great stock and right on time of what he quated me. He has built rifle's very affordable it depends alot on what you want some people will have him build it and they will finish the stock and bed it to save some money give him a call I'm shure he will quate you what you want their are several people that build off savage actions www.SharpShootersSupply.com he makes the best aftermarket trigger for a savage, makes nice stocks, and a of master Trueing and Timing savages also i know www.centershotrifles.com has built some nice savages and makes a really nice muzzle break i'm shure thier others but these are the ones i have exsperence with

bedding and a free floating fore arm are standard most do's for accuracy among other things

Can't believe I almost missed this one. The Savage target action is a great option whether in the built rifle or buying just the action and mounting an aftermarket barrel. I currently own the Mod 12 Low Profile in 300WSM. The thing is a real shooter. I have nothing but good things to say. The target action that is on the precision varminter and F-class can be adjusted 1.5# to 6oz if you want a trigger that light. 10 to 16 oz is where I would want it. Just remember, no gunsmith necessary. The barrels are generously floated with good solid steel pillar bedding.

The 6mmBR is definitely a good starting point as stated. I have a feeling the HS stock that the BR comes in is all you will need until you want a different feel. Do a good break in on the factory barrel and you will probably squeeze out a .2 group with the factory tube. I know with mine, I shot a .233" group when it was still a 308 before it was rechambered. I did not have the action glassed at that time either.

The 6BR is a cartridge I plan to get some day or one of its variants. It is a very good varmint and target round. You should be able to take deer size game within a reasonable distance.

As far as optics are concerned, my suggestion would be the 8-32 or 10-50 Sightron SIII. I was able to look at one at the Williamsport benchrest competition. The clarity in overcast weather on 50x was phenomenal. It was raining and some very light fog and heavy clouds. I had no problem using the side focus and adjusting to perfect clarity at 1K. I know that there were Nightforce and Leupold's there as well. That was the majority of optics being used. There was only one family there using both the 8-32 and 10-50 scopes.

Burris rings and an 20MOA EGW base would be my choice. I use the Signature Zee Rings. This combination offer a ton of adjustment for me out of my Nikon scope. I use a 300yard zero.

Welcome to the addiction,
Tank

Many thanks to all for the great info...I've come across a deal that I'd like your opinions on...Here's the specs on this...$2700 is the asking price...What do you think?

-6mm PPC rb/lp, .262 nk.
-Polished Farley action.
-McMillan stock,
-Jewell Trigger,
-Farley rings, -
-Weaver 36-T scope - fine cross hairs
-Krieger 1-14 4 groove bbl with less than 100 rounds down the tube.
-Barrel smithed by Dietz.

Many thanks to all for the great info...I've come across a deal that I'd like your opinions on...Here's the specs on this...$2700 is the asking price...What do you think?

-6mm PPC rb/lp, .262 nk.
-Polished Farley action.
-McMillan stock,
-Jewell Trigger,
-Farley rings, -
-Weaver 36-T scope - fine cross hairs
-Krieger 1-14 4 groove bbl with less than 100 rounds down the tube.
-Barrel smithed by Dietz.

I like everything but the twist in the barrel. A 1:14 twist won't allow you to shoot the heavier bullets. You will be stuck with shooting a max weight of 75grns. For shooting 600+ yards you really need to be able to shoot the 100+ grain bullets. There was one guy using the 36x weaver when I was in Williamsport, but I would prefer an adjustable power. The 6PPC is a great caliber though. Everything else is pretty good for the deal. What model McMillian is being offered in the deal?

Tank

Thanks Tank...the stock is a McMillian light BR...forgot to mention that the deal also comes with a Kreiger 6mm BR barrel in 1-8 twist so that should allow using the heavier bullets I'd think...

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.