GETTING STARTED

GROB1

I have a steyr pro hunter 25-06 was going to buy a scope for long range shooting was looking at a used Bushnell Elite Tactical 3.5-21x50mm Rifle Scope 34mm for 800 dollars..is this a good price. or should I look at something else. don't want to spend a ton of money that's why I am using a rifle that I already have. Thanks

Odds are you're going to buy lots more rifles and scopes so dont get too freaked out about making the "right" choice. shop it around, make sure its comparably priced and if you like it buy it. Or buy a $4000 to start out with and skip the learning curve. I've had some really crappy scopes, but I always managed to pair them properly with a rifle to make a good combo, even if just a daisy red ryder haha

VX5 HD 3-15 for around $950. Really nice hunting scope. Great glass, very light, low profile turrets. I use several different scopes and I needed something light and less expensive for a specific project. Best decision I have made in a while. Now I need a couple more.

I really like my 25-06 the only gripe is the twist. I wish it was faster but never the less
it shoots 100 Gr. Partitions pretty well. I have killed a lot of deer with it.
I have had good luck with Burris scopes for the money?

The Bushnell scope your looking at is a tank. Very heavy duty and nice glass. Heavy duty means heavy. Look at the weight. For the rifle you have I would look for 3-12 or 3-15 max. 25-06 has the energy and range for deer to about 500 yards give or take. I've shot some of my best 1000 yard groups with my scope turned down to 15. They shoot 2000 yard compatition with 5-25 scopes all the time. Don't get caught up with high magnification. First it's not needed to shoot long range. 2nd mirage will limit how much power you can use. And big power comes with big price and big weight. My .02 cents. Might only be worth .01 cent. Shep

In my less-than-experienced opinion, scopes perform most poorly at their magnification extremes whether that is low-power or [especially] high-power. Therefore, it is my less-than-experienced opinion that a higher power scope should be used knowing that the highest magnification will not be used. The mid-range power of a high-power scope "should" perform better than the equivalent maximum magnification power in a lower power scope.

Please correct me with facts if my opinion and understanding are incorrect.

Doesn't quite work that way. With low cost point scopes the higher magnification is going to suck pretty much. With high end scopes like this thread started about they look dang nice even on full power. The high end 5 to 25 power scopes look amazing even at 25. But now you get into higher target scopes like 50 to even 80 power and thing aren't that great on the top. I've had sightrons and nightforce comps and vortex golden eagles and my buddies have some march scopes and all of them are great to about 40 go 45 power and they start to get a little dark. For that much power to stay bright would take a huge scope tube and giant lens. Basically mount a spotting scope on your gun. But to a point if you buy quality scopes with Ed glass they will perform excellent at all power up to about 25 or so.
Shep

Thanks, 25WSM. Good to know. Maybe I'll be able to take advantage of that high-power in the Vortex Diamondback Tactical 6-24x50 FFP I just bought after all. Was figuring on only using around 8- 20x or so. Expect to mount it next week.

Like the hunter said on a ffp scope the cross hair is going to be thin on the lower powers. But ffp makes long shots so easy because it doesn't matter what power your on all the marking in the scope are the same. Normally the thin crosshair of a ffp is only a dis advantage in the morning or evening but if you have a lighted reticle it works just fine. I have a 3to 15 viper pts2 and the lighted reticle works great in low light.
Shep

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts