Getting Started

JD338,

The nice thing about the Rem 700 receivers is that any receiver chambered in a standard '06 class round or standard magnum(7mm Rem Mag, 300 Win Mag) are the same length as the 300 RUM length receivers. This is why you can build so many different chamberings on the Rem 700 receiver.

In fact, my 2000 yards rifle in 338 Kahn(338-378 Wby Improved) is built on a Rem 700 ADL that was originally chambered in 270 Win.

Bullseye pretty much told you what you needed to know. There are a couple little things I highly recommend for rechambering a factory rifle such as the Rem 700 from 300 Win Mag to 300 RUM.

First and formost, even with all the machining in the world to true up the receiver and barrel, you are still dealing with the factory pipe. IF you want a sure thing in your finished rifle, get a new barrel fitted.

If you simply want to rechamber your rifle to try a more potent round, go for it. Most often they shoot very well rechambered, a few never will.

If your rifle shoots well now, it will probably shoot at least as well after being rechambered properly to the larger caliber.

As far as the Rem 700 300 win to 300 RUM conversion. There is no much to it. Only modification that may be needed on teh bolt is to increase the bevel on the inside lip of the bolt face. I have seen a few instances where this area was not releaved enough for the larger RUM case head. Even though the rim fits easily in the bolt face, the body contacts the bolt nose. Some will actually chamber this way if the case is close to touching the bolt face but acccuracy generally suffers badly. In severe cases, the case will be driven back into the bolt and stick there. Nothing dangerous but a little spooky for a rifle owner that is not sure why it happened.

This is one of those small things that need to be checked. May only see it once in a 100 rifles but that one time will save headaches when you catch it.

Other then that. SOme Rem 700s chambered for standard magnums need a few thousands taken off the feed rails to widen them. Again, I have seen some that needed nothing done at all to them, just an area that needs to be function checked before shipping the rifle out.

I also like to change the standard mag box with a RUM mag box which is significantly different. This simply aids feeding by holding the cartridges in proper stager angle with each other. Some Rem 700s with standard mag boxes with spit the first round in the mag when teh bolt is opened without a REM mag box being fitted. They are cheap so I just do it, again to prevent headaches down the road.

The final addition I highlyrecommend is to fit the rifle with a Holland Comp Recoil Lug. These lugs are nearly twice as thick as the factory lug and simple will not flex or bend under recoil. The dramatically increase the rigidity of the entire rifle system. They are also easy to fit to the barrel but the barrel needs to be pulled.

I do all my chambering on pulled barrels anyway so this is not a problem to set the barrel shoulder back the proper amount when you have the barrel dialed in on the lathe.

An upgraded recoil pad is also a common request when going from a standard magnum in the Rem 700 to a RUM round, especially on the older rifles where the stock will be reused.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

JD338,

As far as loads go I intend to start off with 200gr Accubonds and a full charge of Retumbo and see where it goes from there with the accuracy. The 200 accubond seams to have it all... high bc, decent weight retention and over 2000 ft/lbs at 700 yards.

I'm not sure exactly what I'm going to use it for. For whitetails and pronghorns in North Dakota it will probably be set up as my long range option since I really like my 264 Win mag (not a bad long-bomber either) and just got a Kimber 84m in 260 Rem. I'm half-Alaskan too (I sometimes cant believe I moved back to the lower 48) and can think of lots of uses for the RUM up there, although the Sendero is not my first choice for packing up the mountains.

I stole my Burris Black Diamond 4-16X50 off my 264 to put on it. I thought the posi-lock might be nice with the recoil of the RUM and it has the ballistic mil-dot and decent eye relief. It's also a rather heavy and bulky scope (3.1 inches longer and 5.9 ounces heavier than a comparible VX-III) so it seemed to make more sense to have it on the RUM and now I can get a lighter scope for the 264.

Good luck in your pursuit,

Neal

Kirby,

Thanks for setting me straight. I am really hoping to fins a 300 RUM Sendero. I've been kicking myself because I didn't buy one a couple of years ago.

Neal,
Thanks for all your help. It sounds like you are set to do some serious LR hunting. I agree with your choice of the Nosler 200 gr AB. Let me know how she shoots.

Regards,

JD338

300 RUM Sendero

JD338
I got a new 300 RUM Sendero I was intending to send to Kirby to accurize, Holland QD muzzle it and Lilja barrel it - but it shoots too **** good the way it is. So it's getting the work sans the new tube - for the new tube I bought a Savage 300 RUM - they are dirt cheap. Kirby will do all the same work to the Savage 300 RUM but it gets a new 30" Lilja heavy 1:12 twist tube.

I didn't know 300 RUM Sendero's were rare - mines only got 12 rounds thru it - maybe I should sell it to you. I was planning on using the 300 RUM Sendero for heavy bullets and the semi-custom Kirby/Lilja/Savage 300 will shoot 150 - 168 gr bullets.

I define long range as 350 yards to 750 yards - so the light bullets will do fine (except in wind /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif )
750 - 1100 is ultra long range.

JD338

I just got to do some preliminary shooting on that Sendero I had rechambered. The shooting conditions weren't exactly benchrest (laying in the back of a pickup using a bipod) but I am more than happy with the results. I grabbed some loads from my friends RUM (200 Accubonds with Retumbo) and we shot two 3 shot groups measuring .592 and .761 at 100 yards. Not bad for a quick rechambering job. I'm anxious to see how it will do this summer when I can get it on a solid bench and play with the loads.

Neal

Neal,

Thanks for the update.
Thats fantastic shooting. I bet you can't wait until you get the barrel broken in and adjust your load to "your" rifle.
The pick up bed? Reminds me of the time I shot a sub 2" group with my M700 Classic in 35 Whelen at 300 yds off the seat of a Honda 3 wheeler. Its a very good shooter and was an exceptional day I guess.
Thanks again for the update, keep up the good work.

Regards,

JD338

JD

I also have been looking for a sendero and could not find one, three different gun dealers and the local Wal-mart told me that they could no longer get one in 300rum only 300sarum. If you are not set on stainless the rem 700P is another great remington rifle, ordered mine last week, but it didn't come in today maybe tomorrow or Friday. I did shoot my cousins today(break in and zero.) What few rounds I shot today from what little experience I have I believe it will wind up out shooting the sendero as a factory rifle.

BryanD,

Thanks for the note. What is the difference between the Sendero and the M700P? What is the price range for the 700P?

Thanks for any additional information you can provide.

Beest Regards,

JD338

From what Remington said the 700P is actually a better rifle. I have another post about it. They said that both rifles have a H. S. Precision stock, but the 700P has a tactical stock with bipod swival, larger fore-end and palm swell, both have heavy contour barrels, but the 700P has a parkerized action and barrel instead of stainless. Remington also stated that the Police model rifles go through a 21 point inspection for quality and preformance, and have a guaranteed M.O.A. As far as the price difference, I was quoted $799 + tax on the Sendero, and bought the 700P for $710 + tax, there isn't much price difference until you start adding tax, but then again I saw one in Richmond, Va. for $989 + tax, adn my cousin bought one around here for about $900 including tax, but that is still cheaper than Senderos in most gun shops around here ($1099-$1200). If any of this rambling helps.

BryanD,

I found the other post. Thanks!
I plan on going to the gun show in Grand Rapids this comming weekend and hope to find a Sendero in 300 RUM.
Thank you for your help.
Decisions, Decisions.

Regards,

JD338

JD338..

how do you like your LSS?

Im thinking about picking one up in 7mm Mag. That or a Sendero SF also in 7mm mag.

How does she shoot? Did you need to free float the barrel, do any bedding jobs? Im more of a accuracy freak, so Im thinking the Sendero might be the way to go. But, the VLS is heavy, I dont want another tank of a gun to lug around.

Im even open to a 300 win mag, none of my dealers have the LSS in stock. They can special order it for me but I want to hold one. Your the first ive come across on a forum that has one....

sorry for all the questions/comments. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

snipervls,

I really like my M700 LSS. I have only shot reloads through it but everything is sub MOA. This includes Nosler 200 gr BT, 210 gr PT, 225 gr PT and AB, and the 250 gr PT. In fact I have sub 1/2" groups with all but the AB but I haven't put much into it yet. My scope is a Leupold VXIII 2.5X8 with a Duplex retical.
The rifle is stock with the exception of a trigger job (I did myself) and a Pacmyier Decelerator pad. That pad does a great job of taking the sting out of the recoil but the 338RUM will still rock your world. No breaks, please.
No barrel free floating or bedding jobs were needed.

I also own a M700VLS in 22-250, she is a sweet shooter but on the heavy side so I can understand where you are at with the weight issue.

I am looking for a Sendero 300 RUM and hope to have one soon.

I hope I have answered your questions. I am happy to offer any help I can, there are several who have helped me out as well.

Best Regards,

JD338

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.