getting started

Kedron

Hey guys, I've been watching the board for a while and have decided to try and put together a not so very LR rig on a college kid budget. Primarily for punching paper out to 600 yards and maybe for some powerline hunting. (Most deer here can be taken with a short pocket knife.) Regardless, I want a rifle with a big fat barrel, cuz I like um. So I'm thinking I'll probably order a savage 110fp in 300 win mag sometime next week. I've always had great luck with savage and I don't mind that they're considered a touch homely. I've got a tasco 6-24x varmint tactical I plan on strapping to it until I can afford better optics and unfortunately at the moment I am limited to factory ammo. (to be ammended soon) So basically I'm looking for any thoughts and suggestions on this outfit and also maybe some tips on breaking in the barrel. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Ernie,

You're off to a good start. I'd also suggest a good laser rangefinder like the Lieca 1200, or the Bushnell YP1000. Most everything with LR shooting is relative to range.

My brother had the Savage 308win tactical, it was a tack driver! Myself, I never minded the looks of them.

Good luck, and welcome aboard.
smile.gif

Ernie,

I'd suggest you do a search on each question you have in the archives, you'll find tons of info in there.

While these guys in here are quick to help, they sometimes tire of answering the same questions - or perceived same questions. Again, look in the archives.

As for what I can tell you, well here goes. I'm new myself. I got a Remington 700 Sendero in 7 Remington Ultra Mag, added a Harris Bipod, put on a Sightron SII Series 6-24 X scope and have reloaded a ton. On a college budget, this probably isn't possible, I've got about $1200 in it now and it is a "budget" rig compared to the stuff some of the guys in here shoot. I'd suggest you get a rangefinder for sure and an excellant rest - either bipod or a bench rest depending on what you're shooting (targets vs. deer). There are several heavy barrel factory rifles available BUT you might consider getting a used action and put on a custom heavy barrel - you might be able to get a better more accurate gun at a cheaper than factory price MAYBE! Your choice of 300 Win. Mag is a very popular choice with some of the pro's and is what they started with. Others I have seen recommended a lot are the 7 Rem Mag, 308 and a variety of wildcats such as the 6.5 X 284 and others. Plan on doing lots of shooting at every range not just 100 but 500 and 600 as well. Keep records of your shots. How much practice varies but most guys shoot at least 500 rounds. Myself, I've shot 120 rounds out of my new barrel and haven't settled on a load yet! There are other things to consider but as a beginner myself, these are the things that have been stressed time and again.

Welcome aboard, I think it will be a challenging, learning and fun experience.

I'd suggest you do a search on each question you have in the archives, you'll find tons of info in there.

While these guys in here are quick to help, they sometimes tire of answering the same questions - or perceived same questions. Again, look in the archives.

Very well said, there is a lot of info available here and it should make good reading for anyone interested in getting into this game.

Only suggestion I would make would be to switch caliber to the .308 Win. - much cheaper to shoot since $ are a consideration, probably triple barrel life, will easily accomplish what you need out to 600 or longer. Bottom line it is easier to shoot, far better caliber to learn on. All the math and details have been done. If you were talking 700 and longer, the .300 Win. becomes more signigicant.
Just my thoughts. Good luck, hope you get into long range shooting and hunting.

I suppose another option to consider would be to convert my savage 110E in .270 with a new barrel and stock. Cost is probably about the same but I already know the rifle to be a shooter. However I have no idea what caliber would seem like a good idea in an 06 length action. I'd probably rather stay clear of wildcats at this point, maybe .280 remington? or even 25-06?

Ernie,

If you definitely want a long range rig to replace your 270, I'd consider re-barrelling - it's probably the cheapest way to get a dedicated long range rig for your budget. By getting a medium-heavy barrel you'd probably be better off accuracy wise than you would with a sporter weight barrel. Standard sporter weight barrels can work too though. I'd see if your current 270 will work first. Try some shots on targets out to 800 yards or however far you'll be shooting just to see. If that doesn't work, rebarrelling to a medium or heavy barrel will probably increase your accuracy, though at a cost. As for a caliber, a 280 is pretty popular but I'd think a 270, 30-06 or any other long action caliber that would work on your current Savage action could be an option if it were accurate. If you aren't sure about re-barrelling, too much money or don't want to lose your history with your 270, you may consider having it accurized. This would include a trigger job, glass bedding, free floating the barrel, lapping the lugs, squaring the action and a bunch of other things that only my gunsmith can explain! I know it's a lot to think about but choose wisely. Don't rush the process. I've done that myself too many times with gun purchases and got poor results. I'd rather live with the eagerness than the regret!

Good luck!

Hey,
Thanks for the help guys. I just ordered the 10fp in .308, should be in next week sometime. I figure I'll break it in with a few boxes of cheap stuff and then try the Federal Gold Medals. I can't wait to get to the range and start banging away.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts