Suggestions for Getting Started

Stable Just grew by One...Pulled the trigger on this...
McMillian BR Stock
6mmPPC and 6mmBR Kreiger Barrels
Farley Action with Custom Farley bolt
Jewel Trigger
Weaver Scope

6PPCFarleyRightSide.jpg

6PPCFarleyLeftSide.jpg

6PPCFarleyAction.jpg

I'd say if it comes with a good barrel in 6br, you will have a fast short range varminter, and a long range range rifle. Do you have the ability and skill to set head spacing and change the barrels? If so this sounds like a deal to me. Nice looking rifle.

Tank

I'm a pretty mechanical guy...setting rimless cartridge head space involves setting the distance between closed bolt face and the prescribed datum line on the case shoulder by how far the barrel is screwed on to the action...Go/No Gages are a coarse check and to set, I think you can determine actual from measuring fired cartridge cases....

My friend made a suggestion to me prior to me buying my current rifle.
I wished I had listened to him.
His suggestion was simple:
Find a Remington Model 700 action that is in good shape.
Rebarrel it with a custom match grade barrel from a top house, precision stock too.
Put a good optic on it, like a Zeiss or nightforce, etc...

Then you have a perfect rifle, and your done. All professionally assembled, and ready to start load developement.

I bought a factory rifle. It had a bad barrel and had to go back.
I got the new barreled action. I had to fire lap it and went through two scopes till I realized I did not have the optic I needed to get to where I wanted to go.

Start off right, and you will finish right, with a mimimum of crappy rides home from the range (man thats a long drive).
Just my suggestion.

Oh, ans I fired 350 rounds before I realized I had a bad barrel. It was marginally bad.
350 rounds, 10 trips to the range, 350 primers, plus powder, plus lube, sizing, cleaning between experimental rounds, range fees, gas, sleepless nights, dejection, questioning my own skills (I now shoot 5 through the same hole at 200 yards....).
Dont let me leave out the HOURSS of solvent breathing joy of cleaning that MF all those times too (Full bottle of Sweets, shooter's choice, 1000 patches, 12 brushes...)
I would not wish that on my worst enemy.

Factory rifle???? Dont do that to yourself.

Oh, ans I fired 350 rounds before I realized I had a bad barrel. It was marginally bad.
350 rounds, 10 trips to the range, 350 primers, plus powder, plus lube, sizing, cleaning between experimental rounds, range fees, gas, sleepless nights, dejection, questioning my own skills (I now shoot 5 through the same hole at 200 yards....).
Dont let me leave out the HOURSS of solvent breathing joy of cleaning that MF all those times too (Full bottle of Sweets, shooter's choice, 1000 patches, 12 brushes...)
I would not wish that on my worst enemy.

Factory rifle???? Dont do that to yourself.

Rrg...go HERE...or a couple posts up in this thread to see what I decided on...I took this advice...

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.