Stuck case removal and Hornady customer service

Bran743

I would like to start out by saying that I am no way affiliated with Hornady in any way shape or form, nor do I know anyone that works there.

I have recently gotten into reloading and my first loads I have made have been for my .204.

After firing my first test loads I went to run the brass through my FL dies and wound up with a stuck case. I looked up how to get it unstuck and found that most folks seem to use the drill/tap method so I gave it a shot. This worked really well except for two things.

1) I broke the decapping pin when the drill bit punched through the primer pocket

2) Although the case removed pretty easily, it actually pulled expander ball off off the zip spindle

I couldn't find the parts I needed online so I called Hornady and told them what happened. The woman I spoke with was very nice and asked if I had registered for the warranty when I bought my dies. I said I thought I had and she looked it up and sure enough I did. She then put in a warranty claim for a new zip spindle, expander ball, and decapping pin. I thanked her and hung up the phone and as I set my phone down I got an email notification saying that the order had been placed (1530 CST on a Friday). The following Monday morning I got an email saying my items had shipped.

The whole process was really smooth and I wish I would have called them sooner. I probably could have had more rounds loaded up. I'm also really glad I sent in that warranty card.

-Brandon