How not to remove a stuck case

birdiemc

Stuck a case this afternoon, first time ever, using imperial wax, not sure what went wrong.... I tried tapping it out with a punch but didnt work, ended up punching through the primer pocket...oops, now I dont have any way to pull it out so tried drilling it out, thinking once I got the body all cut out the shoulder would just fall out, but that didnt happen, talk about a frustrating afternoon. Got a few more ideas to try tomorrow, but probably gonna have to order a new die...

All great ideas had I not blown out the end of the case trying to bang it out with a punch...literally all that remains at this point is the shoulder and unfortunately all my drilling and milling seems to have work hardened that, so I think I'll try to anneal the brass inside the die then ream it out...or just throw it in the trash and not risk dulling a $250 reamer

Try filling the die in some copper fouling removing solvent for a week, like foam inside die, periodically refreshing the solvent, might work to loosen up the boundary between steel & brass case allowing the case to be pulled out, provided something can grip it. Solvents of this type won't touch steel. The heat from annealing the brass might damage the steel die. Sounds like some of the case has been removed so if die with case were to be standing on end the die could be filled with solvent/foam.

There is also the option of returning the die to the manufacturer.

Never tried the above... yet. I have stuck about 3 in the last 54 years but have managed to extract them using the drill, tap, and turn bolt method.

I've done this twice. The first time I got it out with drill/tap process. The last time, no go. I had to send it back to Redding after weeks of messing with it until there was nothing to tap. I was pleasantly surprised that they only wanted $12 for return shipping after removing the stuck cartridge. If I'd known I wouldn't have wasted so much time and frustration on it.

Fill the neck with an ear foam...epoxy a bolt in the case..let'er dry well...should take only a tap in any direction to pop it loose

Run a fine thread tap through the bottom of the die and thread the case neck. Leave the tap in place, set the die over a hole in metal, a vice, pipe coupling, etc., and with a hammer hit the bottom of the tap with a punch.

If you have a lathe or access to one you could just chuck it up and try to drill out the part that's stuck. Use an undersized drill bit.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.