Stuck Case

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by JD338, Jun 16, 2007.

1. JD338

JD338 Well-Known Member

Need some help guys!

I was resizing some 6.5 JDJ cases and had a case break off at the neck shoulder junction in the die. The cases were properly lubed so I am assuming that this case had a fracture line that I missed during case inspection. First time I have ever seen this happen!

I disassembeled the RCBS FL die and have carefully tried to tap out the remaining case. No Luck. I don't want to scratch or damage the die.
    [​IMG]
    Any ideas?

JD338

2. britz

britz Well-Known Member

I always take my stuck cases to the local gunsmith

Just did some thinking: .264 resizer should have not much more than .270 outside diameter for your neck. do you have mandrils for a 6.5 mm or .277 that you could use as a punch to drive out the stuck ring? just a thought, good luck.

3. royinidaho

royinidaho Writers Guild

JD,

A "J" lettered drill bit is 0.277"

A 6.7mm is 0.2638"

If the case mouth is visible from the top of the die then the "J" bit, inserted backwards w/a plastic hammer may do the job.

Or the 6.7mm (or so) bit carefully screwed in the bottom with a finger vise and twisted a bit may work.

As far as I know this has never been tried, not even in my garage, where a lot of strange process have been attempted /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

ECHO made, at least 40 years ago they did, a nifty stuck case remover. I have one for my 270 Win but have never had to use it.

Good luck.

4. JD338

JD338 Well-Known Member

I called RCBS and they told me that this is covered under warranty. If I return the die with $5.00 for S&H, they will remove the stuck/broken case and replace the deprimer assby. They will also polish up the inside of the die.
    Pretty good customer service.

JD338

5. royinidaho

royinidaho Writers Guild

Heck, that ain't no fun /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Its a lot more funner go go hackin' on it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Yep, RCBS is pretty good.....

6. JD338

JD338 Well-Known Member

But if I go a hacking, I will surely have to go buy a new one.
    I got one heck of a deal on these 6.5JDJ dies, ssk barrel,
    100 new 225 Win brass, and 40 ff brass for $100.00. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif
    Just the dies alone are close to that!

I was in the right place at the right time. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

JD338

7. 41mag

41mag Well-Known Member

Hey JD,

Just in case for future use, you might look into getting and modifying or building a case extractor similar to this one, Broken Case Extractor from Midway

I have loaded and shot quite a few 303 British rounds in the past and have used a very similar tool for pulling out broken shells in both the rifle and the die. Similar as to what your looking at. Generally in the die I just push it in by hand until it goes over the end of the neck and a quick tug and it is a done deal. One could probably be built or modified easily to your case deminsion.

Just an idea.

While looking I think I found a page from Roy's garage workshop here, Hometools

Sure sounded familiar anyway. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

8. royinidaho

royinidaho Writers Guild

[ QUOTE ]
    I was in the right place at the right time. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Sometimes life just seems to owe ya one!

And it continues w/the RCBS service......... Your on a roll...

Good goin'

9. edge

edge Well-Known Member

Can't beat that for service, but in the future if you keep some "low temperature melting alloy" ( bismuth alloy ), you can melt it in and knock out the whole slug.

edge.

PS it melts below 200 F.