Storing gun cases

I should add the open floor joists
I hang mine vertically behind a door on ladder hooks. You can hang several on cases on a single ladder hook.
My brother in law gave me the idea. He uses the ladder hooks in the open floor joists of his gun room to store guns.
Depending on the size and configuration, he can store 2 or 3 guns per pair of ladder hooks.
I should add the the floor joists I referred to are over head from the floor above...

Not the best but I have a plastic 55 gal barrels that I put the soft cases in. I like the idea of hanging but depends on the quantity you have. I can put 50-75 cases in each barrel and still see what is in there.

Not a solution for everyone, but I intend to give away most of my soft cases along with rifles I want to sell at the next big gun show I get tables at. The cheap plastic hard cases are going as well. Seems like I always use hard cases these days when going to the range or hunting. I've bought four SKB single-rifle hard cases in the last few years and these are about all I use for transporting guns. Far easier to handle for my purposes than the bulky, awkward, and heavy two gun hard cases and much better than soft cases and cheap hard cases.

Last edited:
I use both ends of older wood suit hangers. Easy to arrange and you can add a 3rd on the hook.

I have all my soft cases in the safe with a rifle or shotgun inside them.

I have one collector rifle inside a hard aluminum case in the safe too.

The two or so other hard cases I have are stored in the basement out of the way.

Seeking ideas/ opinions. I'm in the process of creating a trophy wall in my shop/reloading room. It' leading into a reorganization and cleanup project. The pile of soft cases on top of the safe has to go. (I probably need to rehome several of these. :rolleyes:) Wall space is limited, although I can go higher on a wall. Any useful ideas on the soft case storage? Thanks!
I have my soft cases (and there are many) hanging from nails along the wall in my reloading room. Keep them cool and dry like your firearms and ammo so you don't have to worry about dampness and rust;

i use a Sammy all-thread 1/4"x 3" lag by 3/8 female all thread pipe hanger and cut a 8" piece of all thread. I can have about 6 soft cases on one piece of all thread. I really like the soft cases for bringing my rifles to the range or a match. It's much easier than carrying around my 4 rifle 52" skb case. My f class rifle weights 22 pounds and the case is another 25. I use all my nice skb cases for when I go hunting and are 4x4 into my spot. Here's a picture of the Sammy.
Best,
Jason

Attachments

• 66FC7620-F8BC-451F-9222-254369B702FA.png
    66FC7620-F8BC-451F-9222-254369B702FA.png
    166 KB · Views: 21
i use a Sammy all-thread 1/4"x 3" lag by 3/8 female all thread pipe hanger and cut a 8" piece of all thread. I can have about 6 soft cases on one piece of all thread. I really like the soft cases for bringing my rifles to the range or a match. It's much easier than carrying around my 4 rifle 52" skb case. My f class rifle weights 22 pounds and the case is another 25. I use all my nice skb cases for when I go hunting and are 4x4 into my spot. Here's a picture of the Sammy.
Best,
Jason
That's awesome! I'm occasionally finding amazing hardware I didn't know existed. This is one of those. Very interesting idea! I agree with your assessment of hard verses soft cases. There are places I wouldn't consider using a soft case but many others where my soft cases are perfect. I have some of each and use both. Thanks for the idea.

When I moved from FL to TX 3 years ago, I realize how many soft and hard rifle cases I had. All the cases for the long guns I stored in my safes ended up in the attic in one of those large moving boxes you buy from U-Haul or at Home Depot to pack hanging clothes. Those that are still in their cases are stored in the corner of a closet in my man cave/reloading room. One thing I did was to put labels on each case so I knew what I store in them since many of my cases are identical.