Stiff Bolt Turning New Gun

When you dont have your die adjusted down enough to actually bump the shoulder you make the cases longer because your just squeezing them. Make sure your actually bumping the shoulders back.
It does sound like a sizing issue to me also - you said you are using new brass (not yet fire formed). If you have a tight chamber on your new rifle the new brass may have a snug fit giving you the stiff chambering. It's difficult to know how far you have to actually set the shoulder back on your brass until it has been formed to your chamber. Once fire formed you should be able to set shoulder back .002 and hopefully the issues you're experiencing will disappear

It does sound like a sizing issue to me also - you said you are using new brass (not yet fire formed). If you have a tight chamber on your new rifle the new brass may have a snug fit giving you the stiff chambering. It's difficult to know how far you have to actually set the shoulder back on your brass until it has been formed to your chamber. Once fire formed you should be able to set shoulder back .002 and hopefully the issues you're experiencing will disappear
That sounds logical.

Everyone who mentioned bumping the shoulder back were right. You guys are the best! Never had a short chamber before.
I can get the bolt closed on the initial rounds I loaded but it's tight. Think I should pull all those 20 rounds or is this gonna spike pressure on me?

Everyone who mentioned bumping the shoulder back were right. You guys are the best! Never had a short chamber before.
I can get the bolt closed on the initial rounds I loaded but it's tight. Think I should pull all those 20 rounds or is this gonna spike pressure on me?
Just shoot them. I have done the same before too.

You can bump the shoulder on loaded rounds by removing the decapping stem if its a bushing die. Tight bolt close is how locking lugs get galled.
I'm going to pull them anyway. The neck tension is tighter than any case I've loaded. Got a Lee Collet Die showing up to relieve that tension after FL sizing. Basically flare the neck. ****, this 243 is getting to be a PITA! LOL

Had a similar problem. Sent my rifle to Savage to have their gunsmith take a look. They slighlty resized the chamber as it was a little too small. Nothing drastic. Bolt moves eaily now.

Last edited:
Friend had the same issue on a rifle and took it to Bill Weismann and he immediately told him the chamber was to tight after inspecting it. He cleaned it up and now runs as smooth as ever.

Well, guess I should try this experiment on factory loaded ammo. Or cases that haven't been through my FL sizer. If it does the same thing then I need to call Remington Warranty if that is even a thing anymore. I could also try a different set of dies. Maybe this used set I got off Gunbroker was sold for a reason...

Well, guess I should try this experiment on factory loaded ammo. Or cases that haven't been through my FL sizer. If it does the same thing then I need to call Remington Warranty if that is even a thing anymore. I could also try a different set of dies. Maybe this used set I got off Gunbroker was sold for a reason...
I had two bad sets of dies in my time....could well be....however as you said..try a factory shells, or empty brass.... eliminate a bunch of guessing... Another thought.....does your die have crimping capabilities.....you may have it down a tad and its compressing your shoulder....and bumping would make it worse....run your fingers up and down at the shoulder and see if you feel a slight bulge...happened to me!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.