New build. New bolt or factory bolt.

robdaniels

I have a Remington 7oo 270 WSM I am building. So far I have the Bell & Carson Alaskan II stock and have ordered a Broughton 5C barrel, fluted, to be finished at 24"

I want to make this a light rifle. I am getting too old to pack a heavy rifle around the woods anymore.

I know now is the time to put in a new bolt also, so my question is how much difference will a bolt with new firing pin assembly make to the build compared to using the factory bolt?

If a new bolt would be better what is the opinion of PTG bolts and which extractor should be used.

Funds are limited, but I want to make this a great shooting rifle I can keep for a long time.

Thanks all.

I would think the money is better spent some place else, but that's just my opinion. I cant offer any technical insight. Wish I could and I look forward to hearing the answers you get.

I have a Remington 7oo 270 WSM I am building. So far I have the Bell & Carson Alaskan II stock and have ordered a Broughton 5C barrel, fluted, to be finished at 24"

I want to make this a light rifle. I am getting too old to pack a heavy rifle around the woods anymore.

I know now is the time to put in a new bolt also, so my question is how much difference will a bolt with new firing pin assembly make to the build compared to using the factory bolt?

If a new bolt would be better what is the opinion of PTG bolts and which extractor should be used.

Funds are limited, but I want to make this a great shooting rifle I can keep for a long time.

Thanks all.

Thanks, I understand. Hopefully somebody with a bit more gunsmithing custom builds will share thier input.

I forgot to mention I also put in a Wyatt's extend center feed mag. box. It didn't want to feed real smooth and this fixed it up nice. With the added bonus of I can now load VLD bullets.

Rob, what bolt face does the rifle have now? If it's a std belted magnum .535" face, the .270 WSM will work with it. If it's a .473" (.30-06, .308 etc,) it can be opened up and have a Sako or M-16 extractor installed. A gunsmith should do the job for less than a new bolt will cost. Remington will not sell you a bolt, so PT&G is your best choice if you decide you want a new bolt. I have installed 3 PT&G bolts over the last few yrs, and was impressed by their quality.

You have to have a RUM box and follower, or the Wyatts, to make them feed. The factory RUM boxes have a weird elongated teardrop-shaped cut-out in both sides. Don't remember what the follower looks like, but you have to have both to make them feed. The Wyatt's centerfeed box and follower are good, but a little pricey. I think the extended box only holds 2 rounds, unlike the factory staggered box.

Even so, I still prefer the centerfeed setup.

Hope this helps, Tom

Last edited:
The gun is already now a 270 WSM. I am rebarreling with a new barrel. Just wondering if a new bolt would make a big difference compared to the factory bolt that is in it now.

Or just add a new firing pin assembly and have my gunsmith lapp the lugs and square the bolt face. I have already added the Watt's extended center feed mag box and it works great.

Thanks

He'll need to square the receiver face also. Squaring the bolt face can't hurt if it's done right. I don't normally do it unless I'm opening the face and installing a M-16 extractor. Absolutely lap the lugs. Remington 700's regularly have light or no contact on the bottom locking lug. If the recoil lug mikes flat, I use it. Otherwise I'll put in a .200" thick lug. Brownell's has them, but I don't remember who makes them. I don't like the .250" or thicker lugs. They make the tenon (reduced diameter) longer.

The Remington trigger can be adjusted to a nice crisp break, but nothing I've used is cleaner than a Jewell. If you've got a spare $230 or so, it's a good investment.

I know some guys like to install an aftermarket firing pin assembly, but the Remington pin assy works fine for me.

One last bit of advice. Choose a 'smith that has a lot of references, has a lot of tackdrivers to his credit, doesn't ask for the full build price in advance, and delivers when or before he promises. That'll come up in his references. A deposit is normal, but should be about 1/2 the build price unless he furnishes everything.

Good luck with your project. The .270 WSM is a fine cartridge.

Tom

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.