Trouble Gun fires when bolt closes

remcraz

I sent the bolt off to have a mini m-16 extractor installed. I had a jewel trigger in it but put it in my other gun while the bolt was send off for the extractor. I put a Remington trigger in it but when I close the bolt it fires and even when I put it on safety and push it to fire it goes off. I had another Remington trigger and both worked gooD and the other does the same thing. I don't have the stock on while doing this also..HELPP

Rem, take the parts to a licensed gunsmith and have this issue checked. Way too critical a safety issue to try and repair yourself. Good luck and be safe

I know what causes this, I am with Dosh on this... I would rather you seek help.

On the x mark triggers (factory Rem) there is an inspection hole that you can view your over travel from. If you take the action out of the stock, you will see the problem through that hole.

Either your trigger can't be pulled back far enough to allow the top sear to be lifted by the spring...

Or the bottom sear has been adjusted so far back that it never makes contact with the top sear surface.

If someone who didn't know what they were doing was trying to back the tension off the trigger to reduce weight of pull and adjusted the sear engagement, that will do this.

... Or you got one of the recall triggers that had too much epoxy and the excess got lodged in the spring preventing it from returning to loaded state.

There are three adjustment screws on the factory Rem trigger, when you adjust the engagement screws you can see the sears travel accross one another. When you adjust the spring screw, you see nothing, and when you adjust the over travel screw, the trigger just moves further back.

Don't try this at home kids... And I am saying this after I just gave you explicit instruction on how it all works.

We have a saying here at the railroad... If you don't know, don't DO!!!

I ran into this problem when I accidently striped the the top part of the trigger pull allen screw, I thought I was turning the screw in but was only turning the allen wrench. I keep getting an occasional slam fire while testing and sometimes the trigger wouldn't reset. long story short, I was able to remove the screw and completely cleaned out he allen head and retapped the hole. now the screw and spring go all the way down and make proper contact with the trigger and the sear. Lessons learned....
(1) get a quality set of allen wrenches
(2) make **** sure you get all the factory locktight out of the screws
(3) double check that all the locktight is out of the screws!

Hope this helps some one..... E

Sounds like another Remington "accidental" firing, to me. Seek competent help. The internet is no place to try to 'fix' problems like this. Safety is no place to 'experiment'.

Thanks for the good feedback. This is going back to Remington

I know that you will spend your own money on it, but I suggest taking it to a smith only because Remington will have it for 6 months before they return it to you and the smith might be done in a week.

lightbulbSTOP and refrain from loading any rounds until it is resolved by a competent gunsmith before it results to any injury or even worst a fatality. lightbulb

Good luck!

I agree, take it to someone that knows how to adjust a Remington trigger. Most likely it's the sear engagement screw but it could be the over travel, or pull weight screw. If any of the 3 are adjusted wrong it can cause your problem. Remington will most likely take a lot longer to fix the issue then someone local.

Actually, since the rifle has been modified with a different extractor, it's unlikely that they'll even touch it to do repairs - particularly if it doesn't have the original trigger in it either. (Did you put the original Remy trigger back into it, or a different one?)

The problem is most easily solved by installing another Jewell, or another quality aftermarket trigger such as a Timney, etc.

You'll definitely want to solve this problem before shooting the rifle, obviously. Hysterical all-caps billboards aside, there's no reason why a reasonably intelligent person who is handy around tools can't fix relatively minor issues with a gun himself. Once you get into honing engagement surfaces, etc., you do need to either know what you're doing, or be prepared to toss ruined parts in the trash bucket and start over.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.