My Rem 700 FIRED on Bolt Closing!!

Hello Fellas,

This was a one-time occurrence but my Rem 700 fired when I closed the bolt.

The rifle has a Trigger Tech Trigger and the action has been blueprinted. The ONLY thing different about this incident was that I was chambering a round that I didn't FL size down to the base, and I was having difficulty closing the bolt on it. Actually, I had to push the bolt forward very strongly and I was in the process of forcing the bolt down when it went off. It fired the second the bolt was down all the way.

That said, I don't think that it should have fired but I would like to hear what you guys think, and if this is "normal" because of what I did or if there is something wrong with the gun. I have several hundred rounds through the rifle and this has never happened

What do you say??
Had this happen to me when I had a smith install a new trigger, he blamed it on my reloads so I went to another Smith and he adjusted the trigger correctly. Haven't had a problem since

Before going on a hunt I remove the oil from the barrel, swab the chamber and smear moly grease on the locking lugs with a cotton bud. Only when needed, I camel hair brush the scope lenses and clean with an optical approved liquid spray and cloth.

I always clean the barrel after shooting, never leave ii over night without being oiled .
When I arrive home I fully clean making sure there is no copper fouling. Avoid harsh solvents like Sweets except for quick copper removal. If left over night chrome moly barrels will pit. Be aware, of the corrosion and pitting that will occur from burnt powder between the copper and the chrome moly barrel. I use 3 in One oil on a rag to wipe all the metal and swab the bore.

Hope this helps the new shooter.

I haven't read thru this entire thread so forgive me for any possible ignorance, but... if your action is stainless, it's not a scuff mark, it's galling and will only get worse. I would touch it up with something very fine so as to not change the lug contact but it has to be smooth, preferrably on both sides or the surfaces will just become gritty over time.

If it's carbon steel, don't worry about it unless you can feel it when closing the bolt. Carbon steel wears, stainless usually galls instead. Google stainless galling, it will scare the pants off ya!
Cheers,
crkckr

In the future instead of slamming bolt to check, you can bump the butt of the stock on floor fairly hard and if trigger is going to malfunction and go off it will. Then after adjust to wherr it will not go off this way, try to get to slam with bolt a couple of times just for pice of mind. I know this is a little late but for others and if you have another issue. I have had a savage 17 hmr slam fire from after market trigger lossing over time, so periodical i will check it this way just for pice of mind, blue lock tite it to make sure didn't move but still check before take hunting small game.

Question for ya? I sent one of my rifles into Bartlein for a new barrel, had them true the action, & bolt, recoil lug, and glass bedded. I get the gun back & when I close the bolt the gun goes off. It doesn't do this every time, but it does repeat every 5-6 times I close the bolt. My question is could this be something within the machining of the action, & or bolt? Or the trigger? It's a timney trigger that's maybe 5-6 years old. I'm thinking something to do with the sear engagement? Maybe it was damaged in the shipping process? Or maybe just broke or needs an adjustment? Thanks.

Question for ya? I sent one of my rifles into Bartlein for a new barrel, had them true the action, & bolt, recoil lug, and glass bedded. I get the gun back & when I close the bolt the gun goes off. It doesn't do this every time, but it does repeat every 5-6 times I close the bolt. My question is could this be something within the machining of the action, & or bolt? Or the trigger? It's a timney trigger that's maybe 5-6 years old. I'm thinking something to do with the sear engagement? Maybe it was damaged in the shipping process? Or maybe just broke or needs an adjustment? Thanks.[/QUO

I can only strongly suggest that you contact Bartlein and tell them what is going on with your rifle!! There was a thread on the forum where a guy bashed Bartlein barrel company (not saying that you are bashing by any means), one of the owner's of Bartlein was made aware of the problem, and wrote a response back to the OP asking him to contact the company to make things with the rifle right. Give Bartlein a call I think that you will be very happy with the results. I have Timney triggers in at least six or seven of my rifles, never have I had a problem with any of them. My next rifle will be done by Bartlein just because of their customer service and also their quality barrels; I have two rifles built with Bartleins on them.

Let's try this again, reply went into the quote last time:

I can only strongly suggest that you contact Bartlein and tell them what is going on with your rifle!! There was a thread on the forum where a guy bashed Bartlein barrel company (not saying that you are bashing by any means), one of the owner's of Bartlein was made aware of the problem, and wrote a response back to the OP asking him to contact the company to make things with the rifle right. Give Bartlein a call I think that you will be very happy with the results. I have Timney triggers in at least six or seven of my rifles, never have I had a problem with any of them. My next rifle will be done by Bartlein just because of their customer service and also their quality barrels; I have two rifles built with Bartleins on them.

Question for ya? I sent one of my rifles into Bartlein for a new barrel, had them true the action, & bolt, recoil lug, and glass bedded. I get the gun back & when I close the bolt the gun goes off. It doesn't do this every time, but it does repeat every 5-6 times I close the bolt. My question is could this be something within the machining of the action, & or bolt? Or the trigger? It's a timney trigger that's maybe 5-6 years old. I'm thinking something to do with the sear engagement? Maybe it was damaged in the shipping process? Or maybe just broke or needs an adjustment? Thanks.
Slam-fire. The trigger is set too light . This can happen when going from one climate to another....fairly extreme weather change causes expansion or contraction in the metal parts of the trigger assembly. It's NOT safe. easy enough to have it re-adjusted.

Slam-fire. The trigger is set too light . This can happen when going from one climate to another....fairly extreme weather change causes expansion or contraction in the metal parts of the trigger assembly. It's NOT safe. easy enough to have it re-adjusted.
Thanks. I did adjust it but it's not consistently going off at the same lb weight pull vs pull. So I'm thinking sear?

I would check trigger adjustment screws and ensure they have not backed out. It sounds to me like you don't have enough sear engagement and you basically had a slam fire. If a trigger is adjusted correctly IMHO there is no way that despite how hard you close the bolt trigger should not go off. Ensure your gun is unloaded and slam your bolt forward and locked hard as you can and fast and see if you can make it slam fire again. Seen this a good bit with triggers adjusted to light for their adjustment range and also with triggers that people do not know how to adjust correct sear engagement. Good luck brother.
I had a friend with Remington 700 that had this problem. His was do to his kid smacking the bolt on some concrete while he was at the range cleaning his gun. It was bent in where the firing pin slides. Anyway he at the time didn't know what happened to the gun just that it wasn't working properly. So he brought the gun to me, and I found the problem of the bolt not moving freely just the one time of his closing the bolt destroyed his trigger. So I ended up getting a basic trigger set it up for him at 1.5lbs and he never had a problem with it ever since. Not to say this is what happened to you. But you might want to check out your bolt for anything that might cause it to be bound up. All it takes is the firing pin to be bound and goodbye trigger. Hopefully this will help you!

I aslo had a older 700 that I adjusted the trigger on and didn't put anything on the adjustment screw to keep it from moving. Well over a couple of years of shooting it it rattled lose and the gun started to fire on bolt closing. Very dangerous... But I was lucky and was aiming in a safe direction. It made me think about how many times I've loaded a gun in my house to see if the round was loaded correctly, and I was aiming upwards toward my upstairs not knowing where every person was at. Could have been a huge problem. Thankfully God was watching over me and my family and friends. I always exercise safely when it comes to firearms and shooting. But let's face it, you can never be to careful. Just thought I share my experience with this, so maybe it could save someone a problem I had that I don't like to admit to. And believe me now I make sure to use a little nail polish or loctite on any thing that I adjust. God bless you and your family!

Probably not. I would say check you search engagement screw. Also your trigger could be damaged. Read my reply down below to see why. Send your gun to a competent gunsmith for him to check it out.

If it is a standard trigger, that goes down to 1.5#, well, they mean it. If you adjusted the weight you have to adjust the sear contact. I have a few Timneys and have had that problem in Winchesters, but I also just acquired 3 Remington 700s in the last 2 years and put Timneys in. You have to check the sear engagement. I have a Calvin Elite Trigger in my most recent 700 and it is amazing. Goes down to 8 oz. ! But I just wanted it set at 1.25#. I had to adjust the sear engagement. If you call Timney they would even send you a new trigger if you want to start over.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.