First Custom bolt gun

Rugerman77

Looking for help input on building my first bolt gun. I'm wanting to do this on my own. What route is best remage style or a prefit? I'll need gauges with both. Action wrench that wraps the action or t handle. I'll probably start by swapping a couple mod 7 and 700 barrels first. Any tips, trick, pointers, other tools needed would be greatly appreciated. Im pretty sharp with figuring out just about anything but would appreciate a little guidance as I don't want to mess an action up.
Thanks
Tim

What route is best remage style or a prefit?
Remage is a prefit- are you referring to a nutted vs shouldered prefit?

I'll probably start by swapping a couple mod 7 and 700 barrels first.
Again, not clear what you're looking for here. It's a crap shoot whether you can simply pull and swap barrels between factory Remington actions. The actions/barrels aren't timed, so they usually won't clock correctly, and headspace may or may not be within tolerances. Learn how to strip your bolts to check headspace.

Yes I ordered a remage for my first one last night.

Yes I understand that I'll have to check the headspace with go/no go. Just wanting to make sure I'm on the right track. I'll build my own barrel vice. Ordering an action wrench and may just build my own of that as well.

I don't foresee anything too overly complicated with this process. Am I wrong to assume this?

Yes I ordered a remage for my first one last night.

Yes I understand that I'll have to check the headspace with go/no go. Just wanting to make sure I'm on the right track. I'll build my own barrel vice. Ordering an action wrench and may just build my own of that as well.

I don't foresee anything too overly complicated with this process. Am I wrong to assume this?
It's pretty simple. I can change barrels in a matter of minutes. I use the action wrench that Northland Shooters Supply sells. It has a notch in it for indexing the recoil lug on remington style actions if the recoil lug isn't already pinned

I headspaced my very accurate, 6 XC Criterion Barrel, to close on, New Norma 6 XC Cases and "set up", the Bolt, on a very, TIGHT fitting, Go Gage !
Using a NO Go, gage was,.. UN-necessary ! Used Forster Dies, coupled with Norma Brass,.. EZ- Peasy, accuracy !

I would Trust, Lapua or Norma Brass, NOT sure about, any other,.. Brass.
I also used, Blue Lithium Grease on the Barrel Threads, only and Blue Loctite on, the De-greased, Crown Ridge BarrelWorks,.. Nut.
Their Nut doesn't require a "Special Wrench" just, a large, Crescent Wrench !
That, way I can get it apart, when the Barrel is,.. worn out !
Good Luck !

I was going to put a touch of grease on the threads. So you just put a little picture on the barrel nut only just as a precaution I assume?

Yes, 2-3 Drops of, Blue Loctite, to keep Nut from UN-winding under, Bbl Vibrations and Chamber, Heat.
I have shot, a couple of Hundred Cart's, thru Rifle with, NO Problems using THIS Method, so far.

IF, using a Rem 700 Action, you can Install, a flat topped, Picatinny Base, on actions, "Top" and use, the Flat Bottom area to "Hold" the action, in a wood, "Soft Jawed" Vise, while installing the greased Barrel and Tightening, the Nut. Watch Location of Recoil Lug ( Must be fairly, straight ).
Pin it,.. if, you can. I glass bedded my Action AFTER Installing,.. Lug / Barrel

Personally, I would not use brass as go gauge, you are investing in new barrel, wrenches et al, Headspace gauge is just one more necessary tool to assure you have set headspace to SAAMI. Why skimp on probably the most important aspect to set your chamber right? Most come reasonably priced with both go and no go. Last a lifetime if you take care if them. I also set remage nut with torque wrench on the nut wrench. You know exactly every time what the barrel nut has been torqued to which is important for consistent barrel tuning. Some folks add witness mark on nut to barrel to insure it doesn't move. I have not needed to do that with consistent torque on nut.

Although action wrenches have slots for 700 recoil lugs, they may not be perfectly aligned/level with bottom of receiver so you need to be sure on that.

Consider Holland heavy version recoil lug as well. Take your time, measure "twice" theory applies here.

Recent Posts