savage bolt head trouble

mitchell

Hello gentlemen,

My issue is I'm trying to build an edge on a savage target action. The action previously was a 6mm br so the bolt face was .473 so not thinking I ordered a magnum bolt head. Turns out it was for a long action and the shaft on the bolt head was roughly ¼ inch longer than the .473 one. So I order one for a WSM and it was .10" longer than the .473 one I tried extending the firing pin out to make but the firing pin falls just short of clearing the hole. So can anybody tell me what bolt head I need or what if anything can be done to use any of the bolt heads I have already? I'm really stuck here and its driving me nuts this is the last thing I have to do and I'll have my edge up and running.

Thanks
Mitch

You need a WSM firing pin assembly. They are longer than the others.

You also need a new style push feed WSM bolt head. Or, you can shorten the tail of a long action magnum bolt head.

The older style were CRF and used a standing ejector that your target action does not have.

Just cut the back of the post off to the same lenght as the .473 head. It has to be precise to get the proper firing pin potrusion. I did mine on a lathe.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.