Sticking brass

Its a savage mod12, with 10000 or so rounds
Please elaborate on the timing subject. maybe a link
I like the flintlock part
Kind of embarrassing at talladega cmp

I'm not sure if you have YouTube but this is the quickest explanation for cam/bolt timing and primary extraction. I have a hunting partner who had the same issue with a rem700 in 308. He was shooting factory hornady match 168gr ammo and had to unload spent rounds by tapping on the bolt handle with a small deadblow hammer. His cam surfaces never touched when working the bolt.

Your rifle with 10k rounds thru it might be so broke in that the mating surfaces act like Bill and Hillary Clinton and only touch every once in awhile.

Hello good people, had a friend bring a rifle by doing the same thing, looked at brass ,no sign of pressure brass had a little scratches. I ran a cleaning plan and was a little nasty but after firing it did almost the same thing, almost being it started to move but not enough. So I tried what I tried on a shotgun a fellow had not shot in awhile. I put some medium steel wool and the front part of a cleaning rod . I never throw away anything I may use later. So put the end rod in a drill be careful you just want to smooth the chamber. Hope it helps. Y'all be safe .

I had this issue with my Savage 6.5 creedmoor. I took it to a gun smith and had him check it out, he said everything was good . What I found was , when resizing ( full length die ) the shoulder was longer then what the book called for . The shoulder was bottoming out in the chamber . When fired , it was so tight that I had to drive the brass out with a rod . Took it back to the gun smith sjj he owed him the issue . For $200 , he ran a match grade reamer in the chamber , or at least so he told me . I went to check the serial number on the barrel , that's when I found out all he did was back the barrel out half a turn and tighten the nut back down . No big deal , it worked fantastic after that

I agree with the load being too hot. It amazes me how people get away from basics and don't think that maybe they have a different primer then was used for testing, and we're assured that the lot of bullets and the lot of powder are different. I've said it plenty of times on here.....it all matters! Reloading manuals are a guideline....not gospel.

Last edited:
I agree with the load being too hot. It amazes me how people get away from basics and don't think that maybe they have a different primer then was used for testing, and we're assured that the lot of bullets and the lot of powder is different. I've said it plenty of times on here.....it all matters! Reloading manuals are a guideline....not gospel.
Till now the purpose of this gun was as high velocity as I could get. Not sure if you noticed but it had several 22-250 barrels on it and prairie dowgs can fly.
That habit kinda stayed with me

Thanks guys, checked and considered things that I did not before.

Heres what Im going to do. Small base and compare to fired and resized nosler and Peterson. Back off lands and powder charge. If all goes well reload several times 6 rounds, 3 neck size and 3 full body. Small base will be here the 20th​.

I have 50 peterson brass that I believe is ruined and its "fat" brass. Load was for 6.5 creedmoor, 42gr H4350, length to .002 lands. Full resize and it chambers fine. Fire it and that bolt will not open, pulls past extractor and drive out with rod. And that's with reduced load safely off lands. I cut one open and could see no sign of thinning. If it were the shoulder I could understand but it's the body webbing area. That load was so accurate. Any ideas?

Never experienced this with 22-250, I'm new to the 6.5
Wouldn't advise having a small amount of lubricant in the chamber which results in more dangerous back thrust on the bolt face. I would have the chamber recut by about 1 or 2 threads.

I had the same problem, trimmed my brass and everything went back to normal. Turned out the dementions of my chamber did not allow any extra leeway for the brass to grow even .002" over book length. Just because you don't think your that close when the brass is sized and you measure don't mean it ain't touching. Depends on your chamber.

Not sure about an official ladder but I normally start in the middle of what I derive from several sources powder charge. 140 gr bullets for instance Hodgdon max 40.2, nosler is 41 and sierra 42, sierra's 142 gr bullet maxs out at 42.3 go figure. Did not consult hornady because all that is available is PDF with 1 load for 6.5. you are correct it just happens to be 140 eld. Start 020 off lands and step in 003 until happy.

Think I ruined a bunch of prime brass
ELDMs hit pressure alot sooner than other bullets of the same weight. This don't make sense but I can run the ELDX hotter in my gun than the ELDM. Also ELDMs hit pressure way faster when they are .002 off the lands. I like at least .009" and tent to stick with numbers greater than .010" for safety sake when I'm using ELDMs.

ELDMs hit pressure alot sooner than other bullets of the same weight. This don't make sense but I can run the ELDX hotter in my gun than the ELDM. Also ELDMs hit pressure way faster when they are .002 off the lands. I like at least .009" and tent to stick with numbers greater than .010" for safety sake when I'm using ELDMs.
I also learned that ELD Ms OG is not consistent. Will not make that mistake again. Nosler RDF more expensive but more consistent.

I have 50 peterson brass that I believe is ruined and its "fat" brass. Load was for 6.5 creedmoor, 42gr H4350, length to .002 lands. Full resize and it chambers fine. Fire it and that bolt will not open, pulls past extractor and drive out with rod. And that's with reduced load safely off lands. I cut one open and could see no sign of thinning. If it were the shoulder I could understand but it's the body webbing area. That load was so accurate. Any ideas?

Never experienced this with 22-250, I'm new to the 6.5
I bought factory loaded 327 Federal mag Peterson ammo. All of them stick in the chamber of my Ruger SP101. I think something is wrong with their brass cases...period. Still have it if you wish to try it out.