Steel Targets

I have 5 x 16mm Bizalloy plates like this

P5210008.jpg

I have four which were made from one of these big ones cut into quarters but have not shot them yet,

Steel is great for practise

Are there rules of thumb for size, and /or deflection? Do you feel they should be hung at an angle to deflect to the groung or does allowing the plate to swing keep the bullet from flying off?

Make most of my targets, stands and reactive use 500 bernal AR plate will
take a 338 edge at 100yds on out. Have shot a 300 win at 25 yards with
a 200gr smk no problems.

I wouldn't shoot steel any closer than 200yds. ,i have heard of riccochets and seen them on youtube -very dangerous.
Stop taking chances ..

300yds is the closest I will shoot them. As long as they are only held at the top they should be safe as far as ricochets go. If the plate was held in place rigid by all four corners you would get some back at ya.

I shoot the .223 out to 500yds with little 55gn hornady pills and they dont even budge the steel, it looks like they almost vaporise on the target, very impressive.

Can't wait to whack some with the Edge

Here is what I am currently using. The t-posts are nice because I can leave then set up at my different yardages and just slip my target holders off the top of them. That way people do not go through and shoot them all up when I am not there. I am currently using 1/4" wall mild steel square tubing which rings like a really good bell when hit. The 338 Lapua is the only thing that is teally damaging the tubing and it will only go through one wall.

Long_Range_Gongs_1.jpg

I will not shoot steel under 500 yards.

SES50

Thanks guys

I have shot my popers with 5.56 and 308 as close as 100yds but the 308 chews them up.

NOMAD I am interested in making my own I have a welder and plasma cuter. What type or rod do you use to weld 500 bernal plate steel?

SES50 great idea with the post and the frame system you are using I love that.

I was thinking of two targets one as a swinger and one free standing?

NOMAD I am interested in making my own I have a welder and plasma cuter. What type or rod do you use to weld 500 bernal plate steel?
You can use 7018's or 8018's but if hammer them enough the weld will eventually break. I have been making my targets out of AR500 plate very similar to Steve's with holes blown in the corners of the targets. Where Steve has the wire holding the plate I use old nylon binding straps with a carriage head bolts, nuts and washers to hold the plate on the a frame. Attaching the straps to the back side of plate makes the plate angle slightly and causes most of the bullet spray to be deflected downward. The nylon straps can take a lot of abuse, I haven't seen one break yet.

David

I manufacture targets for several clubs and shooting ranges. I use AR 400, 450, and 500 (Hardox, Algoma, and XAR from Krupp). If you are stick welding a quality low hydrogen rod will work and remember to preheat. You can get by with 7018, but there are specialty electrodes that put 7018 to shame if you don't mind spending a couple of bucks per stick.

I prefer to use .045 wire in a pulse welder with 80/20 mix.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.