Steel targets

Forester

Any opinions or experience with steel targets made of AR400? I have some plates that are hinged at the top and made of 3/8" AR400. I mostly want to use them with a .308 and 204ruger for cheap practice.

Is the steel likely to hold up at 400+ yards?

Forester,
You'll probably only get small dents from the .204, but the .308 may punch on through. I'm not familar with AR400 steel so I can't say for sure. Giver' a whirl.
The Saturday before Easter I made a target with 3/8" diamond plate steel and shot it with my .300WinMag. The load was 180gn Ballistic Tip's running at 3090fps, the distance was 650 yds. I had lots of dents but no holes. I had my 18 yr old son and nephew hitting like pros at 650. You should have seen the grins!
Let us know what happens! JohnnyK.

AR400 and AR500 are "abrasion resistant" steel. @ 400yds They will both hold up to either of the two rounds you listed, they are very tough steel. AR500 is the tougher of the two and will last longer, but either will work. In all likelyhood, neither the 204 or 308 will even leave a dent @400yds.

Stuff like diamond plate and structural steel are generaly SA36, and fast bullets punch clean hole thru it like there ain't no tomorrow. I've hit my 1/2" SA36 targets as close as 450yds with my 270-300RUM with a 150gr bullet (mv @ 3500fps), and it leaves one hell of a crater but doesn't punch thru.

I have 2 gongs made of 3/8ths AR400 and have shot them with both calibers that you are wanting to use. The 204 will not even dent it at yardages as close as 100 and the 308 only put a small dent in it at 60 yards, not that i recommend shooting steel from that close. Hope this info helps

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.