Steel Targets

WV Sendero

How thick of steel do I need to use to make a hanging steel target? I will be shooting 300 & 338 RUM and 338 Edge @ 300 yards and out. Also what size does everyone typically use?

I tend to use targets slightly smaller than the size of the "kill zone" of the animals I hunt. Mostly squares and circles in the 12" & 10" range. Perhaps more important than size is the type of steel used. Mild steel will get beat up real quick. Those calibers will punch a hole i 3/8" steel even at 800 yds. Your best bet would be to order targets made from AR500 steel - the same steel used for armor plating by the military. There are sponsors on this site that sell them. Every now and then, a group buy is available on Snipershide, where they are a real bargain. Money well spent.

I've been told that the hardness or grade of steel is more important than the thickness. I've seen a 338 Edge shooting 300 SMK go clean through 1/2" steel plate at 400 yds, but I believe it to be fairly mild steel.?

That would be A36 steel. We run some Mil-A-46100 and some similar armor at work every now and then. I shot a plate at 100, 200, and 300 yds with 165 grain Barnes Bullet out of a 30.06 and there wasn't even a mark in the material. Draw back is that it sucks to machine.

I've got a 12"x12" piece of ar 500 3/8" thick and at 250 yds with my 300 rum shooting 210 smk's at 3175 fps it doesnt leave a mark. All it does is knock the paint off.

Go with the ar 500 and you won't be disappointed

Nathan

There is a group buy on ar500 targets over on 6mmbr.com, pretty good deals. All shapes and sizes.
link?

I have a man hole cover to shoot also but have never had the chance yet. After I bought it my dad said isnt that cast iron? I never even thought about it so have been a little afraid to shoot it into a million pieces.lol

The "gongs" at my local range are all mild steel I think. They are like an inch thick, but have divots from bullets all over, and a few holes all the way through. Even when painted they are hard to tell where you hit, but you can hear it.

Here is a pic of my mild steel 1/2" thick target. The fresh 3 shot group is from my .338 Lapua with the 300 gr Bergers at 1000 yards. The holes through the plate are from a 7mm/300 win with 180 Bergers at 840 yards..:rolleyes: Just to give an idea why you want AR500. I plan to buy new targets very soon.

Jeff

DSC02316Small.jpg

I don't know what mine is, a friend built it for me.

But it must be mild steel too, because it looks like swiss cheese!! Even my little 25-06 with 100 grn Barnes TSX goes 1/4" deep at 200 yds.

Looking to replace mine soon also.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.