Spooky WV crows

redsnow

I've been seeing 3 crows on my Dad's homeplace, rascals won't let a feller get a shot before sailing over the ridge, and outta sight. Not sure what was different today, guess they didn't see me? Anyway, they landed in a snag off 110 yards, picked off the first one, and a dumb one circled back around and landed, I guess checking on his buddy? And the 3rd one almost landed after the 2nd shot. Almost. Maybe in the morning? :)

IMG_8727.jpg

The 22-250 does a fine job. :)

I am pretty sure our crows here in WV are smarter than our turkeys. We do have a blast calling them in. Tom.

Yep, you've gotta be careful with the 22250 or you'll ruin the meat. :D

The crows around here are paranoid, stop a vehicle and they'll fly outta sight, but will stand on the shoulder of the road and let you drive by at 60mph. I've got a guy coming with his e-caller today, got some private land, should get a few? A few years ago I shot/recovered 20 in one day, I was alone, my best ever, that'd be hard to do here again. And that was within sight of 3 different counties, I'll post another pic if we do any good. gun)

They've learned to circumnavigate my property so I gotta shoot'em out of my neighbor's tree's. I must be saying "DANGER, DANGER or FLY AWAY" with my call in crow language without realizing it.

shooting crow is definitely a disease . Using a dead crow is pretty good bait too. They also definitely have some kind of Social Order among them that is there worst enemy. That is they have to fly back & "take a look", "protect", "Bark at" . They will come back on a scheduled time fore a few days and Bark and Mourn for there dead buddies too. They have to do it and can not help themselves. It is in there genetics and inner social group behavior.
I got two Stuffed crow that I use with good results to bring down crows that fly-by and take a look. Set the stuffed crow on the ground like dead or wounded, up near a tree for them to perch and bark but just in range for .22 cal. .
I also set a plastic owl next to the stuffed crow on the ground also and it will drive them crazy sometimes. The stuffed crow I have . I can take the wings off and lay the body parts in a bunch so it looks like the Owl has ripped them up a bit.
They also see and can distinguish between Passive and aggressive eye contact. So I try not to eye-ball them to hard when I see some and am moving in for a shot or two.
Also when I shoot crow. I don't just run out and let them ever see me pick-up or look at the dead ones. I wait till they all have moved-on and are way gone. I never let any of them if I can help it. Put a human connection to shooting and killing them. I try to hide and not be seen for the most part. They put ( 1+1 ) together pretty quick and will shy away and keep a good 200 yrd distance barrier between humans when they wise-up . They teach others as juveniles too 'by example' that they are the targets of the 2-legged .
Did I ever tell you that shooting crow is a disease ?

Yeah it is and I am afflicted and infected with it. I'd shoot them all day, every day, if I could. Something I can't understand; in NC (and similar in VA), you can only shoot them on Thur/Fri/Sat except during the months of Mar/Apr/May. What gives with that stupid law. What makes them so valuable on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. Idiotic. JohnnyK.

Yeah it is and I am afflicted and infected with it. I'd shoot them all day, every day, if I could. Something I can't understand; in NC (and similar in VA), you can only shoot them on Thur/Fri/Sat except during the months of Mar/Apr/May. What gives with that stupid law. What makes them so valuable on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. Idiotic. JohnnyK.
-
That is 'pretty weird' on the Thur/Fri/Sat shooting only ? , I dont reall get that ? .
I really can't understand why they are protecting those DumpsterDivers but, The months of, Mar/Apr/May . I can understand a littlebit. those months, around here anyway is when they are pairing-up and nesting and then hatching out a Juvenile .
The 'weird law' around here in my area is, that you have to shoot them with a shotgun just like all other state Game-Tag birds even though Crow are non-game bird . But in (real life reality) about 90% of all crows around here are popped with the .22 rimfire . my fovorite crow killer is a suppressed .22 with HP subsonic match . & ....THhhhhWwaaaaaaaaaaPop ! is about all you hear.
(me) I shoot crow 365 with the .22 . Crow around my area is 'BigTimeThick' because all the agriculture and I really think no one really gives a crap about dead crows . Just don't blatantly stupid, shoot them in front a game-fish & wildlife . ... ;) . but most people around here I know shoot the crap out of crows with the 1st choice to reach for, is the good old Twenty-Two .

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.