My first Crows

223 Al

Hi . This is my first thread on the forum. Today was a great day for me. I shot my first crow! I know, you pros have shot hundreds of them but give me time and i'll catch up. I bought my first varmint rifle a few months ago. A Savage modle 25 thumbhole in 223. Also started handloading my ammo. I love it. Why did i wait until i was 60 to start doing this.. Anyway a friend of mine staked a some road kill out in my cornfield at 200 yards. This morning the crows were all over it. I shot one and blew him apart with a 50 gr v-max bomb and the bullet also took of the wing of his buddy. The wounded crow took of across the field while a couple landed to see what the problem was and Pow i got another one at 250 yards. The wounded crow was still going strong. By now it was 385 yards out and on my second shot i got him. I'm really happy with that rifle. I have my field set up with marker flags out to 500 yards so that really helps in judging my distance. Can't wait to go out tomorrow morning to try it agan.
This is a great forum. With out the information i gained here i could not have made those shots. Thanks a lot!!!!!!

Why did i wait until i was 60 to start doing this
That was better than waiting until you were 61.:D

In one shot you kill a crow and set one up to act as a live decoy. Pretty good shooting. :)

Crows are smart and it won't take long for them to figure out that you got a new gun.gun)

Thanks guys for the reply. This morning I went out to shoot some more crows and guess what, there was a coyote at my roadkill. Yep a 50 gr. v-max into the chest and out behind the right front leg. Youre right, it sure left a mark!!! That was my first coyote. Now I can go to the coyote section of this forum and join in. Thanks again, Al

Anyway a friend of mine staked a some road kill out in my cornfield at 200 yards. This morning the crows were all over it.

That's a good Idea! I've never heard of anyone doimg it like this before. Now I just need to remember it.

Congats!!

That's pretty cool. I would have never thought that much shooting would produce a yote. Good on you! Wait till your 61 and give us a head count. I bet ya double it! ;)

I just read this thread, well done!

Just dont switch to a 40 grainer! You crow will evaporate before your eyes! LOL

Well done young man a crow has about a 2" kill zone Don't switch anything. Try throwing some egg shells out there they can see them from a long way away and work great for baiting.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.