someone using your treestand

A couple large thorns off a locust tree in the seat of your stand will keep them out it's not exactly easy on their rear end. This might seem a little extreme to some but I had the sole hunting rights to a place for 5-6yrs and walked in to have some one in my stand. Had a little exchange of words and he left, next time I came into hunt there were cigarette buts everywhere and my stuff had been shifted around. The second time I caught him in it was a few wks later and I held him captive until the game warden could arrive, All you really need is a chain saw and that's what I had. Apparently this wasn't enough to discourage his trespassing so once a couple big thorns had been placed in my seat I waited a few days and went back. I blood trailed him from my stand back to the fence he'd been crossing and haven't heard from the guy since.

A couple large thorns off a locust tree in the seat of your stand will keep them out it's not exactly easy on their rear end. This might seem a little extreme to some but I had the sole hunting rights to a place for 5-6yrs and walked in to have some one in my stand. Had a little exchange of words and he left, next time I came into hunt there were cigarette buts everywhere and my stuff had been shifted around. The second time I caught him in it was a few wks later and I held him captive until the game warden could arrive, All you really need is a chain saw and that's what I had. Apparently this wasn't enough to discourage his trespassing so once a couple big thorns had been placed in my seat I waited a few days and went back. I blood trailed him from my stand back to the fence he'd been crossing and haven't heard from the guy since.

****, what an *******. My temper aint good and it gets the best of me. What did game warden do though ?

No tree stand for me, one, I don't like heights and 2, I've always been a ground hunter. To that end, I have a nice comfortable blind permanently built on my land that I use ocassionally as I mostly find a tree to farmer squat and lean against.

Seems as though my blind attracts trespassers/poachers and I have to work on it every year though it's locked up (with a good pad lock btw).

I've confronhted trespassers before, mostly during bow season. Don't say much, just make it plain I'm carrying a sidearm, usually my 44, you see, public land is at one end of my property and though it's plainly posted, people can't read or don't want to......

I like the public land at one end. The pressure pushes the animals into my ground...and the trespassers too.

I've never caught anyone in or around my blind or abusing it but if I did, I suspect that I'd be leaving the woods alone. No difference between killing an animal and killing an idiot other than you eat the animal and plant the idiot.

No tree stand for me, one, I don't like heights and 2, I've always been a ground hunter. To that end, I have a nice comfortable blind permanently built on my land that I use ocassionally as I mostly find a tree to farmer squat and lean against.

Seems as though my blind attracts trespassers/poachers and I have to work on it every year though it's locked up (with a good pad lock btw).

I've confronhted trespassers before, mostly during bow season. Don't say much, just make it plain I'm carrying a sidearm, usually my 44, you see, public land is at one end of my property and though it's plainly posted, people can't read or don't want to......

I like the public land at one end. The pressure pushes the animals into my ground...and the trespassers too.

I've never caught anyone in or around my blind or abusing it but if I did, I suspect that I'd be leaving the woods alone. No difference between killing an animal and killing an idiot other than you eat the animal and plant the idiot.

The same ******* took a **** two feet away from my tree stand.... this could get ugly, I am deeply tired of assholes everywhere.... lord help me

If it's private land, there is ALOT you can do. Here in TX, the laws being on the books doesn't mean they get enforced. Unless you keep them there until the warden arrives, they won't do anything. Typically to keep them, it is by force. This is much easier to do when not alone. When you approach them, first thing I do is tell them I am not alone. Then somebody fires a shot to verify. This puts them on edge, and they know they will get shot if they get stupid. Or, you back out slowly, call the warden and lead them to the trespasser.

If you know someone has been there, but you never cross them....All kinds of things to do.

I have heard if they are on foot, find where they cross and the trails they use. They look for cameras, but not razor wire in the bushes. If they come across on a four wheeler, razor wire across the trail 12 inches off the ground does a number on the four wheeler and the tires. I hear visiting tire shops during deer season is a great way to pass time. Razor wire 48" off the ground on a four wheeler trail does a number on the torso. I heard you don't have to visit the ER, in small towns you can read about it in the papers or hear the locals talk.

I have no experience with razor wire, it is only stories I have heard.

This was a double post, but I will use this space to answer the age old questions.

How do you find where they are coming from?

Well, what did we do before game cameras? Fishing line across the trails points in the direction the passer by is heading. This doesn't have to be boot high either. Fishing line across a trail at 5 ft animals don't go through.

How do you know if it's an animal? It won't start at your stand and end at the property line. Also, deer do not break spider webs 5 foot high across a game trail. Trust me when I say, this is a sure sign of a human, and they are easy to spot with a little fog or some morning dew. The spider webs have all the condensation on them.

Brush the sandy spots clear of footprints so you can check for boot direction.

Every phone has a camera now, leave a twig, safety belt, etc a certain way at your stand and take a picture of it. Compare when you return to see it is moved. This cannot be something that the wind or rain can move.

Put small twigs on the trail and take pictures to compare later. Animals may move the twigs, but can't snap them the way a boot can.

They track you when you enter the gate at the lease.....
Look for fishing string across the ends of your gate....If you put it there, it will tell you if anyone is, or has been in there. So if someone else puts it there, they can tell if you are in there to track you BEFORE entering your place while it is occupied. Replace the dang string so they think you are not there.

Brush the boot prints away from the gate area so they cannot tell if you are in there.

Instead of taking the same truck every time, take multiple vehicles. Then they do not know what to be on the lookout for on the roads. Also they won't know how many people are on the lease that they have to dodge.

The root of the problem is, we live in a society where no one respects the rights of others. If respectful, people would never think about trespass.

I pay the taxes and I own the land but people don't give a ****.

Thats the travesty in all of it.

My land isn't accessable from a road, quad maybe but it's a hike in. My salvation is my neighbor (Ted Nugenr's brother) is charged with being the caretaker, something he has no issue with. The Nugent's respect the land and the owners. In that respect, whether I'm there to hunt or pick mushrooms or just birdwatch, I know someone is there regularly watching.

I still have vandalism and people leaving trash behind in their travels but thats a part of our evolved attitude toward our fellow man.

Do I like it? No. I'd like to build a cabin on it and move there but the inaccessability eliminates that. Just for recreation, nothing more.

God isn't making any more land today or tomorrow. It's a finite commodiry so I haven't an issues with owning some and I accept the responsibilities of cleaning up after the human pigs.

Like I said earlier, if I caught a trespasser, the situation would determine the outcome.

****, what an *******. My temper aint good and it gets the best of me. What did game warden do though ?

Cited him for trespassing and gave him stern warning to not be on the property again. I had a ground blind go missing I was using for turkey in the same area and ended up with a nice feeder missing I could never prove it was him but, I'd gotten several pics on a trail cam of him in the area in question. I found a stand a little while after that just inside my property line and may or may not have taken a chain saw to the tree just to drive the point home. Figured he got about $300 worth of mine and a really sore @$$, we broke about even. I killed a really nice 9pt that year despite all the shenanigans. Ended up finding a couple of button bucks that'd been either terrible shot with a bow and died on my side of the fence, or shot with a 22. I killed one really nice doe only to find she was all infected and gang-green in her backstrap and had been suffering for no telling how long. The warden was called in for that one too and no evidence means nothing could really be done. He was caught spot lighting a few wks later and had his atv, a nice rifle and some other gear seized. I wish I'd have been in town for the state auction a few months later and could've bought his gear at a much discounted price. "A little too spiteful maybe???" :rolleyes:

Had 3 guys take my double bull blind down and toss it in the brush once. Set their own blind in place of mine. It was 3 on 1 and getting ugly. I have a varied enough back ground that I felt reasonably confident they were going to lose this fight but man, we were a long way from nowhere and losing was not optional. I backed down. From then on I slept in my blind until I decided this crap was not worth it.

I had a tree on a migration trail I had set up well for sitting. Came in one morning and there was a guy, I knew who was, sitting there. We got into it but this group was ruthless. So I told everyone I knew about the area and showed another guy and his group how to hunt the migration trail a mile up from there. Ruined the hunt for this bad crew and I laugh everytime I go by the area and see the new crew screwing the bad crew. Makes me happy.

Confucious say...'The bigger gun always wins. Why, when on my property I'm carrying a rifle and a big bore sidearm too and the sidearm ain't loaded with round nose pills either.

You don't go to a firefight with a Bic lighter.

Thought this was quite appropriate...lol Maybe it's a bit over kill but, who says overkill is a bad thing?

Attachments

• facebook_1293058067.jpg
    facebook_1293058067.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 76
Thought this was quite appropriate...lol Maybe it's a bit over kill but, who says overkill is a bad thing?

I laughed at the picture, I get folks venting, and I get folks defending private property. I worked with a guy that had friends and family closely involved in a well covered tree stand dispute, the ripples literally travel cross country. Be sure you're right, be sure it's worth it, be sure you win. Whatever you define a win to be.

Leave and call police/warden.

I'd just moved from the area when this happened:

MPR: Hunter kills six, wounds two after tree-stand dispute

"Hunter kills six, wounds two after tree-stand dispute"

Wisconsin officials are trying to understand why a hunter opened fire on others hunters Sunday, killing six people and seriously wounding two. Many of the victims were related - all from around Rice Lake, Wisconsin. The suspected shooter is a St. Paul resident who's had minor brushes with the law, but nothing apparently that would predict such a violent encounter.

Birchwood, Wis. — The shooting took place in a small township near the borders of four rural, wooded counties. During deer season the woods are crawling with people in blaze orange, and it's not unusual to hear of small disputes, over property lines or who owns what deer stand. But nothing has ever happened of this magnitude.
According to Sawyer County Sheriff Jim Meier, Chai Vang, 36, is accused of opening fire on a hunting party, killing six people and seriously wounding two others.
The dead include Robert Crotteau, 42; his son Joey, 20; Al Laski, 43; Mark Roidt, 28; and Jessica Willers, 27. Dennis Drew died of his wounds Monday night. Still hospitalized are Terry Willers, who was listed in critical condition, and Lauren Hesebeck, listed in fair condition.
Sheriff Meier say that the suspect was lost in the woods, and apparently wandered onto private property. There, he found and climbed into a deer stand. One of the property owners came by, spotted Vang in the stand and radioed back to his hunting party in a shack about a quarter of a mile away, asking who should be there.

The answer was nobody should be in the deer stand," Sheriff Meier said.
The first victim, Terry Willers, told the others on the radio, that he was going to confront the intruding hunter. He approached the intruder and asked him to leave, as Crotteau and the others in the cabin hopped on their all-terrain vehicles and headed to the scene.
"The suspect got down from the deer stand, walked 40 yards, fiddled with his rifle. He took the scope off his rifle, he turned and he opened fire on the group," Meier said.
There were two bursts of gunfire within about 15 minutes. Apparently three of the hunting party were shot initially. One was able to radio back to the others that they had been shot. The others soon were on their way, apparently unarmed, expecting to help their fellows. But the shooter opened fire on them too.
Meier says the weapon used was Chinese style SKS semi-automatic rifle. Its clip holds 20 rounds. When recovered, the clip and the chamber were empty. It's not clear whether any of the deer hunting party returned fire.
Chai Vang was taken into custody several hours later. He'd been identified by the ID number which Wisconsin deer hunters are required to wear on their backs.
Vang is reportedly a veteran of the U.S. military. He emigrated here from Laos. Sheriff Meier says Vang does appears to be mentally stable.
"From my dealings with him, he seems mentally capable of conducting his affairs. His criminal history is, I believe, there's a misdemeanor warrant for trespass out of a county in Minnesota, and he does have an entry in his file for an aggravated assault," he said.

Leave and call police/warden.

I'd just moved from the area when this happened:

MPR: Hunter kills six, wounds two after tree-stand dispute

"Hunter kills six, wounds two after tree-stand dispute"

Wisconsin officials are trying to understand why a hunter opened fire on others hunters Sunday, killing six people and seriously wounding two. Many of the victims were related - all from around Rice Lake, Wisconsin. The suspected shooter is a St. Paul resident who's had minor brushes with the law, but nothing apparently that would predict such a violent encounter.

Birchwood, Wis. — The shooting took place in a small township near the borders of four rural, wooded counties. During deer season the woods are crawling with people in blaze orange, and it's not unusual to hear of small disputes, over property lines or who owns what deer stand. But nothing has ever happened of this magnitude.
According to Sawyer County Sheriff Jim Meier, Chai Vang, 36, is accused of opening fire on a hunting party, killing six people and seriously wounding two others.
The dead include Robert Crotteau, 42; his son Joey, 20; Al Laski, 43; Mark Roidt, 28; and Jessica Willers, 27. Dennis Drew died of his wounds Monday night. Still hospitalized are Terry Willers, who was listed in critical condition, and Lauren Hesebeck, listed in fair condition.
Sheriff Meier say that the suspect was lost in the woods, and apparently wandered onto private property. There, he found and climbed into a deer stand. One of the property owners came by, spotted Vang in the stand and radioed back to his hunting party in a shack about a quarter of a mile away, asking who should be there.

The answer was nobody should be in the deer stand," Sheriff Meier said.
The first victim, Terry Willers, told the others on the radio, that he was going to confront the intruding hunter. He approached the intruder and asked him to leave, as Crotteau and the others in the cabin hopped on their all-terrain vehicles and headed to the scene.
"The suspect got down from the deer stand, walked 40 yards, fiddled with his rifle. He took the scope off his rifle, he turned and he opened fire on the group," Meier said.
There were two bursts of gunfire within about 15 minutes. Apparently three of the hunting party were shot initially. One was able to radio back to the others that they had been shot. The others soon were on their way, apparently unarmed, expecting to help their fellows. But the shooter opened fire on them too.
Meier says the weapon used was Chinese style SKS semi-automatic rifle. Its clip holds 20 rounds. When recovered, the clip and the chamber were empty. It's not clear whether any of the deer hunting party returned fire.
Chai Vang was taken into custody several hours later. He'd been identified by the ID number which Wisconsin deer hunters are required to wear on their backs.
Vang is reportedly a veteran of the U.S. military. He emigrated here from Laos. Sheriff Meier says Vang does appears to be mentally stable.
"From my dealings with him, he seems mentally capable of conducting his affairs. His criminal history is, I believe, there's a misdemeanor warrant for trespass out of a county in Minnesota, and he does have an entry in his file for an aggravated assault," he said.

Wow talk about nut jobs

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.