Anyone using VX-5HD

I agree with slowelk as I too am a FFP guy…look at the maven RS1 too I own 4 LRHS scopes and 2 Maven RS1s top quality not the quality of my new TT 315 hunter but the maven at $1080 right now…is almost 1/4 the price
I am going to disagree with Slowelk. FFP is useless on low power in low light or dark backgrounds. It is a long range hunting forum, but even though I spend a ton of money on gear to be able kill something out to 1200 yards, A lot of my animals are killed within 500 yards. I prefer SFP on all my hunting rifles.

My current long range big game rifle has a 4-24x52 Vx6hd with TMOA reticle. I love it - i have killed game out to 1045 yards with it.

I am curious how much real world hunting situation difference there is in the first & last 5 minutes of the day for these 2 Leupolds:

VX3HD 3.5-10x40 FireDot Twilight Hunter
$699.99
14.5 oz

VX5HD 2-10x42 FireDot Duplex
$1,099.99
18.9 oz

What does that extra $400 and 4.4 oz get me in those 10 minutes of hunting time?

The VX3HD and VX5HD I held side by side at EuroOptic in PA looked identical, but that was during daylight hours. The VX6HD looked better than those 2....

I am curious how much real world hunting situation difference there is in the first & last 5 minutes of the day for these 2 Leupolds:

$699.99
14.5 oz

$1,099.99
18.9 oz

What does that extra $400 and 4.4 oz get me in those 10 minutes of hunting time?

The VX3HD and VX5HD I held side by side at EuroOptic in PA looked identical, but that was during daylight hours. The VX6HD looked better than those 2....
I am really impressed with the FOV/sight picture size of the 2-10 VX5HD. Rumer had it the VX5 and VX6 models had the same glass. Can you define what you meant by "better"?

$699.99
14.5 oz

$1,099.99
18.9 oz

I have a few VX5HDs and one VX6HD. Identical clarity between them. Identical light at dusk and dawn. Big difference in price. 3-15x44 vs 4-24x52. VX5HD models are my preference.

$699.99
14.5 oz

$1,099.99
18.9 oz

I have a few VX5HDs and one VX6HD. Identical clarity between them. Identical light at dusk and dawn. Big difference in price. 3-15x44 vs 4-24x52. VX5HD models are my preference.
I have a noticed a significant difference at dusk and dawn between my 52mm obj VX6HD and my 44mm obj VX5HD.

I have a noticed a significant difference at dusk and dawn between my 52mm obj VX6HD and my 44mm obj VX5HD.
Deer season this fall in Nebraska, with an overcast sky, I could see deer clear enough at 75 yards 3 or 4 minutes before shooting light.....except for crosshairs.....with my VX3HD 2.5-8x36mm. It felt like it would be just fine if I had the FireDot those first few minutes.

The VX5HD and VX6HD with larger objective lenses and better class would probably really help if a deer was standing in the shadows at longer distances....but I haven't looked through one of those in the field in those light conditions....but I'd really like to know if they are worth the money?

....or maybe I'm better off not knowing.... :)

I am going to disagree with Slowelk. FFP is useless on low power in low light or dark backgrounds. It is a long range hunting forum, but even though I spend a ton of money on gear to be able kill something out to 1200 yards, A lot of my animals are killed within 500 yards. I prefer SFP on all my hunting rifles.

My current long range big game rifle has a 4-24x52 Vx6hd with TMOA reticle. I love it - i have killed game out to 1045 yards with it.
I said a well designed FFP reticle. I like the Bushnell lrhs original and lrhs2, and swfa 3-9. All have designs that pull your eye to the center.

I agree that a lot of FFP reticles are garbage for hunting on the low end, and flat out unusable without illumination. I have a Burris xtr 3 3.3-18 that is nearly useless in the timber below 5x.

I think if the American hunting/shooting market demanded more FFP, lightweight scopes there would be more choices. 3-5x (3-9, 3-15, 4.5-18, etc) FFP scopes can be very functional on the low end. That said, most Americans want a ton of magnification and 6-10x mag ranges, which doesn't allow for a lot of use ability on the low-end.

I use my scopes in their mid ranges a lot, primarily to maximize my field of view, and I want to be able to hold wind, and hold up to 2-3 mils of elevation if necessary. For that I need my reticle to subtend accurately.

Deer season this fall in Nebraska, with an overcast sky, I could see deer clear enough at 75 yards 3 or 4 minutes before shooting light.....except for crosshairs.....with my VX3HD 2.5-8x36mm. It felt like it would be just fine if I had the FireDot those first few minutes.

The VX5HD and VX6HD with larger objective lenses and better class would probably really help if a deer was standing in the shadows at longer distances....but I haven't looked through one of those in the field in those light conditions....but I'd really like to know if they are worth the money?

....or maybe I'm better off not knowing.... :)
I haven't looked through a VX3HD. I have a good friend who has 6 different VX6HDs and VX5HDs. He bought Kimber Mountain Ascent in 308 this last year and mounted a 4.5-14x40 VX3HD on it and hunted with it all fall. He just told me he was selling it and buying another VX5HD. He said it was worth a few ounces to have better glass and an overall better scope. I'll have to get some more details out of him. He was a sherriff forever and a sniper on their swat team, does f class comps and stuff.

Age makes a difference also. The older we get, the smaller the pupil dilates. Younger eyes do better than older eyes. Scopes being same company, same glass but different objectives can help or hurt depending on the age of eyes using the optic. For me, I cannot tell a difference in my two scopes having different objectives.

I haven't looked through a VX3HD. I have a good friend who has 6 different VX6HDs and VX5HDs. He bought Kimber Mountain Ascent in 308 this last year and mounted a 4.5-14x40 VX3HD on it and hunted with it all fall. He just told me he was selling it and buying another VX5HD. He said it was worth a few ounces to have better glass and an overall better scope. I'll have to get some more details out of him. He was a sherriff forever and a sniper on their swat team, does f class comps and stuff.
My understanding is that the glass in the VX3-HD is just as good as the VX5-HD out to a few hundred yards.

VX3HD wins on eye relief? VX5HD wins on FOV?

1641684081458.png

1641684126308.png

@BFDGUNS. I have heard the same thing. I have a vx6 3-18x50 and a vx5 3-15x44 i bought new in the last year. I can't tell one bit of difference.
I could have almost purchased three vx5 I just drank kool aid and got the vx6 first.

Last edited: