Anyone using VX-5HD

It's probably true that you don't need a 20x or so on the top end for hunting. But there are other reasons that I prefer them on my hunting rifles.

1. I spend a considerable amount of time working up loads for various bullets in my hunting rigs. I shoot almost exclusively at 400yds to confirm group size and repeatability. It is much easier to get a solid hold and consistent sight picture on the target with a 20x-24x scope. You can always crank it down when hunting.

2. On many occasions I have spotted a game animal at some distance and had to get on them quickly before the shot opportunity vanished. Sizing up a rack often takes more than a quick glance with a 10x-12x scope. With the ability to just crank up the power ring I can get a good enough view of a potential trophy to make a decision before it's too late.

Just my 2 cents on why it makes sense to use a high magnification variable on a hunting rifle for some of us.

It's probably true that you don't need a 20x or so on the top end for hunting. But there are other reasons that I prefer them on my hunting rifles.

1. I spend a considerable amount of time working up loads for various bullets in my hunting rigs. I shoot almost exclusively at 400yds to confirm group size and repeatability. It is much easier to get a solid hold and consistent sight picture on the target with a 20x-24x scope. You can always crank it down when hunting.

2. On many occasions I have spotted a game animal at some distance and had to get on them quickly before the shot opportunity vanished. Sizing up a rack often takes more than a quick glance with a 10x-12x scope. With the ability to just crank up the power ring I can get a good enough view of a potential trophy to make a decision before it's too late.

Just my 2 cents on why it makes sense to use a high magnification variable on a hunting rifle for some of us.
Right on! If I'm not concerned about weight I'll do the same quasi spotting scope route.

Don't even have to turn them off! Just grab it and you got it! I still get the giggles about it! LOL
Hahaha, same way I feel!
I can't tell you how many times either myself or person using the other optics have forgotten to turn them off resulting in dead battery.

Hahaha, same way I feel!
I can't tell you how many times either myself or person using the other optics have forgotten to turn them off resulting in dead battery.
I love them. From the quick adjust ocular to the CDS locks. Much nicer than my older MKIV Scopes.