Snowy Vehicle Recovery

Guy M

Not directly related, but hunters often end up driving backroads in snowy/icy conditions. Thought this might be of some interest:

Got the word last night that a family had abandoned their Nissan Armada SUV on a snow covered dirt road over on Badger Mountain, about 25 miles from my place. They'd been out looking at property in it, and had descended to a place where the road was blocked. They'd planned a reasonable route, downhill all the way, but a large fallen tree across the road blocked them. When they tried to drive the SUV back up to where they'd started... It wasn't up to the task.

Ultimately the young couple walked out with their two kids. They noticed some large "dog" tracks along the way... The area is known to have wolf, coyote, mountain lion and bears... Not sure what they saw tracks of, but entirely possible it was some large, furry predator.

The parents hiked back in on Monday, carrying tire chains. They were only able to get one chain on the front, and did make some progress towards getting out, but not enough. Last night our local 4wd community learned of their predicament. This morning four people headed out in three Jeeps to get that Nissan out of there! The couple met us at the end of the pavement and hopped in our Jeeps. I aired down to 10 psi for traction.

We drove down, down, and down some more. I was getting worried about getting my own Jeep out! I would not have gone down there, in winter, except if necessary. I guess this was necessary. We reached the Nissan Armada, and I was relieved to see that it had a pair of front tow hooks from the factory! Yes! I went to work with shovel, and shoved some Max Trax boards in front of the rear tires.
7v1NKFAl.jpg

My son spooled out some synthetic winch line from his 1998 Cherokee. Warn 8000 winch.
d03ZsnMl.jpg

wM9vW4Yl.jpg

VXcrkLhl.jpg

We got the second chain on the other front tire! The young lady took over driving, she did a beautiful job of "feather-footing" the accelerator. Very gentle. Nice, with minimum wheelspin.

Josh winched. She drove. We worked with shovel and the Max Trax boards. Got the Nissan up that first big hill! Vehicles re-positioned. My Wrangler took over winch chores. Deliberately drove my Jeep into the ditch adjacent to the road, and got it well stuck, in order to be able to winch up the considerably larger and heavier Nissan. I have an inexpensive but powerful Engo 10k winch. It did a wonderful job of pulling that big Nissan up! She drove, I winched, and up it came! :)
zGh0AACl.jpg

Time to time we added a recovery strap, or two, to lengthen our reach with the winch.
lk1U4dXl.jpg

I didn't get a photo of this, was too busy driving, but also towed the Nissan for about a half-mile up a couple of less-steep hills. My Jeep was in low range, first gear with the rear diff locked.

After four hours of work, using so many tools, we got the Nissan back to pavement! Today we used:
shovel
tire chains
recovery straps
winches (2)
Max Trax boards

And even my 5-gallon fuel can! The Nissan's V8 had burned through a lot of fuel, leaving the vehicle nearly empty. My Jerry can full of gas was very welcome, allowing the powerful V8 to assist with the hill climbing. It would have been a LOT tougher if we'd had to winch and pull the Armada up those hills without it working too.

I think what impressed me the most was the cool, calm teamwork demonstrated today. The two folks with the Nissan admitted that they knew little about four-wheeling, and had made a mistake even venturing onto that road, in these conditions. However, they were quick learners, listened well, and helped us, help them. The rest of us applied decades of four-wheeling knowledge to get them out, without damaging their vehicle, or ours. I reminded everyone that we were going to talk-through every move, do it right, not injure anyone or break anything expensive.

It all worked. Four hours of pretty intense, but not rushed, work. Vehicle is out. Family is all home and well. New friends were made and old friends had another good day of four-wheeling together. I rather enjoy these "rescue" missions. Always a challenge.

Lots of lessons learned by the new folks with their Nissan. :) I'm glad it all worked out for them. And for us.

Regards, Guy

Many people mistakenly think because they have 4wd that they won't get stuck. Very very nice of you and the others helping those folks out, I'm sure those folks will remember your kindness for a very long time.
I heard a saying long time ago- 4wd is for when u get stuck in 2wd u can turn around and get out! Lol

These folks learned so much. I am really impressed with them. They were looking at property, and got in over their heads. Stock vehicle. Highway tires. No chains.

Not stupid. Good people, who just didn't know. They walked out (very fit people) and got the kids out on Sunday.

Hiked back in on Monday with the first set of tire chains they'd ever owned!

But, their solo effort didn't work, so Monday night they reached out for help. And we went to help. Today, they listened, watched, helped and learned. These folks had never seen a winch in use, didn't know the difference between a recovery strap and a tow strap, hadn't ever used tire chains, had never heard of traction boards... Didn't know a differential could have something called a "locker" and all that stuff... They learned So Much in this little adventure. And my goodness, always smiling and ready to help us, help them. Good people.

I'm glad we could help, and glad I met a terrific local young couple.

Guy

The strapping young 6-06 fellow said that the thing that surprised him the most was how we all "aired down" before venturing down to get his rig. He didn't know that was of any benefit. I went to 10 psi on my Jeep's 285/75/16 BFG tires. Got terrific traction that way! He hadn't ever thought about that, but decided it was a good thing to know about.

I'm really impressed with their priorities. Ya, they shouldn't have gone down in there, alone, in a stock vehicle. But... They put family first, got 'em all out, then got the vehicle out with some help. Not bad.

All this 4x4 stuff is learned over time, and in my case, after failing several times over the years. Glad to pass it on to others when I can.

Guy

These folks learned so much. I am really impressed with them. They were looking at property, and got in over their heads. Stock vehicle. Highway tires. No chains.

Not stupid. Good people, who just didn't know. They walked out (very fit people) and got the kids out on Sunday.

Hiked back in on Monday with the first set of tire chains they'd ever owned!

But, their solo effort didn't work, so Monday night they reached out for help. And we went to help. Today, they listened, watched, helped and learned. These folks had never seen a winch in use, didn't know the difference between a recovery strap and a tow strap, hadn't ever used tire chains, had never heard of traction boards... Didn't know a differential could have something called a "locker" and all that stuff... They learned So Much in this little adventure. And my goodness, always smiling and ready to help us, help them. Good people.

I'm glad we could help, and glad I met a terrific local young couple.

Guy
Kinda like alot of folks here. Us clueless folk get help and learn just by asking. Good folks.

The strapping young 6-06 fellow said that the thing that surprised him the most was how we all "aired down" before venturing down to get his rig. He didn't know that was of any benefit. I went to 10 psi on my Jeep's 285/75/16 BFG tires. Got terrific traction that way! He hadn't ever thought about that, but decided it was a good thing to know about.

I'm really impressed with their priorities. Ya, they shouldn't have gone down in there, alone, in a stock vehicle. But... They put family first, got 'em all out, then got the vehicle out with some help. Not bad.

All this 4x4 stuff is learned over time, and in my case, after failing several times over the years. Glad to pass it on to others when I can.

Guy
When I used to cat hunt we lowered pressure very often. Had an on board compressor were the a/c would have been. It's a very good trick.
Happy New Year, and good looking out