Buying a new Vehicle

Sorry to hear about Jill's accident. Glad she is o.k.!!
I won't try to recommend a car. I think the imports are to be looked at. Seems you've had good luck with them.
Bob , it's hard to know what an import is these days. The Kia Sportage Len bought could be manufactured in West Point Georgia. Ford powerstrokes and Ram truck with a Cummins are built in Saltillo, Mexico and imported. Since I work on vehicles for a living I could not recommend a car either. I only see the ones that break down.

I would watch Craigslist, FB marketplace, Offer Up exc. like a hawk for your target vehicle/vehicles. Good deals pop up, you just have to have the cash and hand, and when the listing pops up, go asap! Good deals don't last long. You can feel out the owner at that point. If the title is not in their name or they haven't owned the vehicle for at least a couple years, I wouldn't entertain it. That 6-10K market is very competitive. I also would not buy a vehicle with a timing belt, that's just me. I just picked up a 2003 Suburban, 123K, 4wd, 5.3 V8, garaged kept, immaculate for $7500. Deals are out there! Just not from dealers

Last edited:
Toyotas are coming. If you can have a little patience.
They are trickling in to the dealers here in WY now.
It took a while but my wife finally got her Toyota a few weeks ago. Seems like all the dealers in surrounding towns got a few in at the same time as they all started calling us. She had her name on several lists.

it's hard to know what an import is these days. The Kia Sportage Len bought could be manufactured in West Point Georgia. Ford powerstrokes and Ram truck with a Cummins are built in Saltillo, Mexico and imported
Absolutely! When I purchased my Nissan Frontier a co worker said he never thought he would see me driving a import. I just laughed and told him it was assembled in the USA of domestic and imported parts like all the others.

So did you get the Trucoat? Jeez, because if ya didn't, you're gonna have oxidation problems, yaaa.
Yaaa got the Key Fobs they want $895 , but didn't pay them. Car was built in GA so no Trucoat.
I hope someday there will be a reconning for all the price gouging Dealerships taking advantage of people in need of a vehicle in these hard times.
We had to rent "Fargo" last night just to laugh it off.

Was it reasonable?
Mr. Lundegaard?
He was a little guy, kinda funny looking.
I'm cooperatin here, ya darn tootin.
It it was not true what is going on. This whole story that I will tell eventually no one would beleive. I finally got the Funds released for the insurance to pay for another vehicle. This is all through USAA, but several different Departments. Now the funds were released because they got my clear title "USAA Copart" this took since Saturday. One USAA dept Copart just sent the funds to the USAA Insurance. Now has to clear there. Finally got the Money sent to USAA Bank for direct deposit in my USAA Bank Account.
Just got off the phone with USAA Bank and even though the money is in my checking account it is "Pending" to make sure that it clears. This will take (3) working day min. It is USAA Insurance Money being paid to my USAA Bank Account and they have to wait to clear their own money from USAA Insurance. Can't make this up!

How those bandits get away with thievery and false warranty claims is downright unjust and used to be a crime. I will never buy a vehicle from a Toyota dealer because of the lies I had to listen to from them, from the top warranty phone # in the owner's manual to the local dealer, all liars, every one.
I think that will come back to bite them.
I buy at least one vehicle a year. Always had the same dealer. Well this past year they wanted above msrp. I just wasn't gonna buy. Then while helping my mom shoot for a car. I jokingly told them when asked if they could help me. I said sure sell me a gt500 at msrp and let me order it my way.
They said no problem.
A car they clearly can get another 30k over msrp. So my previous dealer has now not only missed out on my last two but one for my father m, mother, uncle, and they got a large account from a great friend of mine who also buys a lot of work trucks and needed to not get screwed.

It it was not true what is going on. This whole story that I will tell eventually no one would beleive. I finally got the Funds released for the insurance to pay for another vehicle. This is all through USAA, but several different Departments. Now the funds were released because they got my clear title "USAA Copart" this took since Saturday. One USAA dept Copart just sent the funds to the USAA Insurance. Now has to clear there. Finally got the Money sent to USAA Bank for direct deposit in my USAA Bank Account.
Just got off the phone with USAA Bank and even though the money is in my checking account it is "Pending" to make sure that it clears. This will take (3) working day min. It is USAA Insurance Money being paid to my USAA Bank Account and they have to wait to clear their own money from USAA Insurance. Can't make this up!
Truly the ability to think is becoming a thing of the past due to everything being done and relied upon what a computer displays.
My last experience with a Loan Officer at the bank over an unexplained excess interest charge on my first car payment took the Loan Officer two hours on his bank computer to do an amortization schedule for my loan and to find a partial answer. I wish I had more positive experiences but usually when doing any kind of business, I don't. Your USSA snafu is normal these days, I think.

It is not the USAA I started with in 1982. They are just another big corporation now. Their current CEO never served in the military (which is significant as original mission of USAA was to provide insurance to US military members).

It is not the USAA I started with in 1982. They are just another big corporation now. Their current CEO never served in the military (which is significant as original mission of USAA was to provide insurance to US military members).
Been a member for about 27 years and I have to say that 99% of the USAA Customer Service are the best. It is just the policies that made by management. Yes it was originally for insurance and offered to Officers in the Military. USAA had the BEST Insurance Coverages and Claim Services. They branched out into Banking and was still great service. I think that USAA started hiring Top Management from other Insurance Companies to be competitive (they didn't need to) and these other top management are trying to run USAA like other insurance companies instead of a Service for the Military Veterans.

Bob , it's hard to know what an import is these days. The Kia Sportage Len bought could be manufactured in West Point Georgia. Ford powerstrokes and Ram truck with a Cummins are built in Saltillo, Mexico and imported. Since I work on vehicles for a living I could not recommend a car either. I only see the ones that break down.
The thing is, it doesn't matter who's name is on the vehicle, where it Is made, they all break down! Cars are machines that are constantly wearing out. All manufacturers have good years and bad years and all the fan boys of one brand or another should realize that. I have Dodge, Chevy, Ford and Toyota vehicles setting in my driveway right now. They have all broke at one point or another.