Ultimate Hunting Vehicle?

94' Bronco, many a critter has met his end from these windows.
SAM_0530.jpg

@Good Thats a pretty detailed sounding build i like it. I've been looking myself for a hunting rig but I'm a 6hr drive from where I will be doing anything close to backcountry hunting. As a result I'm looking at something thats efficient on the highways as well as capable offroad, (not rock crawling though); can carry my dog and I, and a bear or moose. So...its going to be an ultimate compromise vehicle at this point.

@Good Thats a pretty detailed sounding build i like it. I've been looking myself for a hunting rig but I'm a 6hr drive from where I will be doing anything close to backcountry hunting. As a result I'm looking at something thats efficient on the highways as well as capable offroad, (not rock crawling though); can carry my dog and I, and a bear or moose. So...its going to be an ultimate compromise vehicle at this point.
Psssst. This thread is 10 years old lol

I can only comment on non-ideal vehicles for this as a man of experience. I have crammed a full size whitetail buck (and these are Saskatchewan deer, not warm weather lightweights :) ) into the trunk of a 2014 Chevy Cruze (which I also drove into the field with…no snow that November. To say that my wife was angry when she found out is an understatement. Livid!

Gotcha beat Calvin. I am from northern Montana just south of Regina. When I was in college I came home at Thanksgiving and my dad and I went out Thanksgiving morning. I shot a 4 point and a 5 point and put them both in the trunk of the 68 impala. Drove through about 4 inches of snow right up to each of them. We were home for Thanksgiving dinner by 1:00. Those were the good old days.

Gotcha beat Calvin. I am from northern Montana just south of Regina. When I was in college I came home at Thanksgiving and my dad and I went out Thanksgiving morning. I shot a 4 point and a 5 point and put them both in the trunk of the 68 impala. Drove through about 4 inches of snow right up to each of them. We were home for Thanksgiving dinner by 1:00. Those were the good old days.
Hahahahaha that's a mental picture right there!

I have also loaded deer into the hatch of a 99 Honda CR-V - dang it I miss that vehicle, most stone reliable thing I've ever owned, and it was a stick shift on top of that…gutless as can be but just a straight up no-nonsense dependable automobile…I'm not even old enough to say this yet (will be 30 in November) but I'll say it anyway: they don't make them like that anymore!

I have also loaded them into the hatch of a chevy traverse - my wife was once again "displeased" with what I'd done with the family vehicle.

now we have 4 young children and I have sworn on pain of death that I will not put dead things in the dodge minivan. But there's a loophole…I never agreed to anything about putting things ON TOP OF THE VAN!!!!

Calvin, Drove from Billings, MT to my home in Plentywood, MT to hunt with my dad. In a Mazda RX7 spotscar which you probably have no clue what that looks like. Just think of a small cockpit. Shot a small 4 point. Skinned it, quartered it, and put it in the back of the Mazda which really didn't have a back seat. Just laid a plastic tarp down in the back hatch and put the 4 quarters on it. Put the pedal to the metal and was home in 6 hours. If you want to bad enough you can just about make anything work. Don't tell my cousin because it was his car and I borrowed it it so I could get up and back in a timely manner. And I did.😂

I am in the process of building what I consider the ultimate hunting truck. What are your thoughts and opinions on the subject?

My thinking is something that can haul people when the family is down and my little one gets old enough, I can sleep in fairly comfy when needed, and something that can "wheel" with the best of them to get out of sticky situations when by myself which is most of the time.

I think ideally, maybe with a different bed and drivetrain, The Off Road Designs "Cousin Willard" is near perfect in terms of a hunting rig. It has enough cab space for comfort, while still being a truck. I used to think my '07 Jeep JK Unlimited was the hunter's choice until faced with putting a bloody animal in the back and I keep breaking front axleshafts...

Offroad Design - Fullsize 4x4 Performance

The truck I'm wanting to build is basically the same as Cousin Willard, but with Dodge badges. There's a crew cab Dodge locally I'm going to try to purchase. Currently, I'm building a '74 Ramcharger, an old beater '75 CJ5 for the rocks, and my JK, but soon hope to get the crew cab and start work.

My dream specs include:
pre '93 Dodge 4 door truck,
Mopar smallblock- 360 or so inches,
Standard transmission with granny gear, standard for push starting with dead battery and for towing trailers,
Kingpin D60 front axle with 4.56 to 5.13 gears and locker,
Corporate 14 rear with locker- may settle for D60/70 or similar rear for ground clearance,
H1 double beadlock wheels with runflats and 37" tires,
wheelbase shortened as much as possible, narrowed fore and aft and possibly boatsided- if the cab can still be sealed,
small custom bed for hauling critters and just big enough to haul ATV,
healthy winch on front, small ATV style winch in bed,
plush, comfy, and quiet interior with rubber floor, AC and good heater,
CB radio and a nice GPS,
onboard air, and onboard weldernator

What's your dream safari/hunting truck? What features would you like to see added to your choice of hunting rig?:D
I designed the Ultimate Hunting/fishing/Outdoor vehicle a few years ago, but the my Lottery ticket numbers didn't come in. If I let you see the design you would have dreams about it every night. Then if you couldn't afford it-be in a deep state of depression. I could not want to put you through that -so no view of the design.
I will try to find a picture of it with some specks if I can locate it on my recently fried laptop.

It is a hybrid combination between these two. Built with sate or the art materials Kevlar/titanium, aircraft aluminum, electronic, sat, locating systems solar, propane, diesel with all manual backups, totally self contained for two people, 1k mile range on fill up. Hopefully I can did up the plans and actual pictures of a completed vehicle. The cost five years ago started at $600K. Almost impossible to get stuck or break down with redundant systems. also qualified for as a "Prepper". Big enough to be comfortable and have all the things you need, but small enough to take on back woods logging roads.

Attachments

• Hunt truck.jpg
    Hunt truck.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 35
  • Earth Roamer.jpg
    Earth Roamer.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 30