Single stage or turret

Metzger

Hi,

I am looking for my first reloading press. I shoot about 150-300 rounds of 308 a month. I can assume that I will enjoy this and eventually buy a Dillon in the next 3 years.

My question is for now should I get a lee turret press or single stage?

Also anyone know where I can find varget or imr4064?

Thank you.

You can use the Lee Classic Turret as a single stage press by removing the indexing rod. Easy to do, just pull it out with a slight twist. That being said, it is better to learn to reload with a standard single stage press because you are forced to go through all the steps ... repeatedly. Familiarization with your equipment and process steps is key to making quality ammo.

If you can afford it, get one of each, Classic Cast single stage and Classic Turret. FS Relading has the best prices on Lee equipment

There is always something to do with a dedicated single stage press.

I like my Lyman for a turret. Very nice not to change dies, just rotate the head.

If it were me, I'd get a turret and save for a 650. Oh yeah, did that.

The Classic Cast Breechlock is a good choice. Dies are quickly changed for different operations and caliber switches.

with that amount of 308 per month, go with the classic cast with the breech lock system. after a year or 2 of reloading you will have a better idea of how to go.
There are a lot of excellent choices for turrets and progressive out there. Me, I think that I would go with the locknload ap before a turret press

I love my Redding T-7 turret press for precision reloading.

There was Varget in Billings Montana yesterday I hear.

Jeff

I agree with Jeff so long as you load a quantity. I have one as well as a Rockchucker (modified with real grease fittings and prevailing torque attachment for precision and repeatable seating).

IMO, Dillons are overpriced for what you get and Lee is fine as a hobby loader but serious reloading requires serious tools. Lee ain't serious, just cheap.

Get the Redding and/or a Rockchucker. You won't buy another in your lifetime.

Varget and IMR, I have plenty in the powder chest but I haven't seen any available online for quite a while and Billings is quite a drive for me.....:D

I have plenty in the powder chest but I haven't seen any available online for quite a while and Billings is quite a drive for me.....:D

yeah, I thought of that when I posted it. But since the OP has not filled out his profile we don't know how far it is for him. So I just tossed it out there for him if he is close or for others near by.

Jeff

IMO, Dillons are overpriced for what you get and Lee is fine as a hobby loader but serious reloading requires serious tools. Lee ain't serious, just cheap.

Curious, have you owned any of the Lee Classic series presses? They are not cheap as in cheezy but they are very well made and inexpensive making them excellent value. I owned a Rockchucker and sold it in favor of the Lee Classic Cast. I also have two Redding Ultramags. The quality of the Lee Classic presses is every bit their equal.

Curious, have you owned any of the Lee Classic series presses? They are not cheap as in cheezy but they are very well made and inexpensive making them excellent value. I owned a Rockchucker and sold it in favor of the Lee Classic Cast. I also have two Redding Ultramags. The quality of the Lee Classic presses is every bit their equal.

Youi've lost all sense of reality...havent you?

I bought one for a friend for a Christmas present to get him started (along with a reloading manusl and pertinent die sets (not Lee but RCBS Gold Medal). I agree the cast press is nice. It's not a Rockchucker and it will never be a Redding or Forrester. I bought my Rockchuker 20 years ago at least and the Redding after Jeff raived about his. I always take Jeff's opinions on equipment as gospel, one reason I have a Bench Source annealer rather than another brand.

We will leave it at that.

Different people prefer different things. If there was one overall 'best' unit, no manufacturer would sell theirs. They do.

No I think it is the better press. Bigger ram, bigger opening, very precise machining, better ergonomics, no slop in the linkage and a very much superior primer disposal system.

Can you please list the superior attributes of a Rockchucker?

I own a rockchucker and agree that the lee classic cast is just as good. If I were choosing between the two of them now I'd buy the Lee because it's half the price.

That being said, a few years ago I bought a forster co-ax for the most part use it for everything now. I don't have any use for turret presses, too much opportunity to introduce slop into the system. If you want to load a bunch of ammo buy a Dillon, if you want to load precision ammo buy a good single stage. The turret presses are an attempt to do both and don't really do either well. I care a lot more about loading quality ammo than I do quantity so I lean towards a good single stage.

If the OP thinks he'll keep reloading then in my opinion it would be worthwhile to get a co-ax

So I went with the Lyman expert kit with turret. So far I am happy with it. I have deprimed, promed and sized 150 rounds. Powder gets in today and I will make my ladder loads with 190smks(that's all I could find) and imr4064 tonight.

It amazes me the Lyman scale is just as accurate as my $7 eBay scale.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.