Simple question

I'd like to suggest that if you have access to a left handed rifle that you give that one a try with both the left and the right eyes to determine which eye you shoot better with. I for one "cannot" shoot with both eyes open, I've tried it and just not going to happen for me!! My thoughts are that "dominant eye" determination is done by the autonomic nervous system of the body; meaning the body is "hardwired" and something that you have no control over how it works. With that said, you do have control over how the bolt of your rifle is moved and how you shoulder the rifle. Again try shooting the left handed rifle left handed and see which hand you shoot best with.

I am right handed and have shot right handed my whole life. I have never been a great shot but I do well enough to qualify every year at work and pit meat on the table when the opportunity comes along. I recently discovered that I am left eye dominant. Is that going to effect my shooting style? Should I attempt to change what I have been doing for 30 plus years? It's kind of mind boggling to me.

Sure will affect your shooting. It will make you a finer shooter.
With my scoped rifles I still use my right eye as it is being corrected by the scope. My left eye can see the target so all is well.
I noticed when shooting my pistols my accuracy had decreased, was okay for defense but not a chance of dead eye accuracy, no scopes on these puppies. I kept trying to change to stance, finger position, how I operated the trigger and so on. I was dreading that my age might be catching up.
Now I am training my left side to gain muscle memory and the correct habits. Luckily I am ambidextrous with a slight favoritism to my right side. I am also old enough where if you were left handed it was kept hidden.
And by the by my groups are heading back to a young man's group size.

I don't know where you live but I would like to move there. Every gun shop I walk in to I get blank stares when I ask for a left handed gun...

I'm in Iowa so you may want to re-think the moving thing. I don't buy at gun shops normally, but Savage, Remington, Weatherby, et al all offer a good selection of LH bolt rifles. Maybe in their experience there isn't enough demand to justify stocking them but they can order them or you can order one and have them receive it. There is a midwest based chain called Mills Fleet n Farm [with a store about 20 miles from me] that stocks tons of guns and awhile back they had a Savage Axis LH in .270 Win for about $300 on clearance. Thought about buying it but frankly I have more LH rifles than I really need. I can swing by there today and look.

Non-issue according to Ryan Cleckner. He is a former military sniper, sniper instructor & civilian shooting instructor. He is right handed but left eye dominate. What is more important are the habits you develop in your shooting. Cleckner said in his book that when he has a student that is having issues, he will have the student shoot from the other side. Since the student has not developed any bad habits on their "non-shooting side" their performance usually gets better quickly.

For rifles I couldn't care less. As already stated for new shooters you might as well start them off right. I have been shooting for 35 years one way I would not want to change if not necessary. Now for shotguns I feel completely different. You need to be shooting with your dominant eye looking straight down the barrel.

My wife is also right handed, left eye dominant. But even though she is right handed, she is much more comfortable shooting rifles and shotguns left handed. Handguns are a different animal. When using a scope with magnification and shooting with both eyes open, the eye behind the scope SHOULD take over. Since you have an ingrained shooting history, I would likely try to borrow a left handed model or buy an inexpensive one and see if you can make it work for you or even make you a better shot. No simple answers, just trial and error with LOTS of practice. I wish you success.

I can't shoot RH regardless so to dismount the gun and/or reach over to work a RH bolt is a royal PITA.

Spend $300-$400 and buy a leftie. You'll be glad that you did.

As I left hander with a left dominant eye, I don't think it's a big deal except for shotgun shooting where your shotgun must be mounted on the dominate eye side in order to shoot with both eyes open. As a hunter education instructor for Washington State F&W, I have noticed that about 10% of our students are cross dominate. Shooting a scoped rifle right handed is not a problem for me, but for open sights I have to close my left eye.

I am right handed and have shot right handed my whole life. I have never been a great shot but I do well enough to qualify every year at work and pit meat on the table when the opportunity comes along. I recently discovered that I am left eye dominant. Is that going to effect my shooting style? Should I attempt to change what I have been doing for 30 plus years? It's kind of mind boggling to me.

i am left handed and right eye dominant - taught myself how to shoot right handed after I scoped myself with a 270 when I was 14. My son is in your boat - right handed and left eye dominant - we verified this back when he was in the BB gun phase, so I just had him start shooting left handed. He is 12 now and is a dead eye with his 6.5 cm. I think I would switch to left handed and give it a go for a while...

Doesn't hurt to try....but 30 years....if it ain't broken why fix it!..... This advice from a left handed, left eye dominant shooter. The prescription in my glasses is much stronger for my left eye....but I can rest assure you...I never once thought about trying to teach myself to switch!

It is extremely important to have your dominant eye looking down the rib. You shoot a shotgun with both eyes open and if your off eye is dominant you will constantly miss left or right depending on which hand/dominant eye.

Last edited:
I think I might give a lefty rifle a try....later I think I have spent enough money on new toys for a little while. Thanks for the input everyone.
I may have missunderstood but, assuming you already have a standard/right handed rifle (or access to one), just shoot that as-is but hold it and aim as a lefty. No need to buy a left handed rifle just to see if it ends up working out for you. Having the bolt on the other side shouldn't have anything to do with how well you shoot and the stock should allow you to shoot from the left side without any issues.

I'm a lefty and grew up having to shoot right handed rifles this way without issue....other than a particular 30-06 that liked to smack me in the face due to the rake of the stock but...lol

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.