Simple question

TGVan

I am right handed and have shot right handed my whole life. I have never been a great shot but I do well enough to qualify every year at work and pit meat on the table when the opportunity comes along. I recently discovered that I am left eye dominant. Is that going to effect my shooting style? Should I attempt to change what I have been doing for 30 plus years? It's kind of mind boggling to me.

morning, from ventures I have noticed that most people
have a nominate eye. being left or right handed as shooter.
with a shotgun a person shoots with both eyes open.
with a low powered scope running shots r taken with
both eyes open. I am left handed shooter. I am right eye
dominate. with the high quality of rifle scopes parallax
and focusing r done with scope adjustments.
if the problem bothers u put a patch or pair of one side
focus glasses. justme gbot tum

I am left handed but right eye dominant so I understand your dilemma. I started shooting rifles in 1967 left handed and although the experts will tell you to aim with your dominant eye and shoot with the appropriate hand I'm here to tell you that it is not impossible to become a decent shot while aiming with your non-dominant eye.

Right handed, left eye dominant. I learned to shoot with my left eye closed, but now shoot with both eyes open; I can see both the magnified view through the scope and the un-magnified view at the same time, which can be great, or utterly confusing if you aren't used to it. I can shoot left handed, but it never feels quite right.

I am right/right but sometimes practice left. My daughter is right/left and shoots way better lefty. My wife is left/right and shoots way better right.

I would suggest you spend time shooting left to see if you can change old habits and get more comfort. If after shoot several hundred rounds, even if it's .22, you will know if the transition will work for you. Good luck and enjoy the new found knowledge.

I am left dominant, right handed, and shoot left. Most of this came from shot gun and open sights. I can shoot right handed, often have to at comps, but shouldering left feels best. I shoot my bow right right.

I personally would just do what is most comfortable and consistent for you. The reason I say that is primarily that i shot comp in rifle, bow, shotgun, and pistol and did fine. Not top shot but I've been at the top plenty and I'm not particularly talented.

What Brent says.

I've shot both sides after various medical issues . With an M4 I'd encourage you to become proficient with both hands. With bolt guns, shoot for comfort.

I am right handed and have shot right handed my whole life. I have never been a great shot but I do well enough to qualify every year at work and pit meat on the table when the opportunity comes along. I recently discovered that I am left eye dominant. Is that going to effect my shooting style? Should I attempt to change what I have been doing for 30 plus years? It's kind of mind boggling to me.

I do not have a response but will follow this thread. I, like yourself, had a job for 29 years and always met the qualification standards. At about 27 years of employment I discovered that I was a left eye dominant right handed shooter. I am still employed in retirement and have to satisfy quarterly qualifications. Oddly enough if I close my left eye momentarily during target acquisition i am fine. It is to use your worlds mind boggling. On a side note, do you shoot photography. I did for decades, and sure enough I shot with my left eye. Fairly sure this is why i shoot firearms and am left eye dominant. Good luck.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.