Shout out to Krieger

lee31

I built a 25-284 back in 2018 when BlackJack bullets came out with their 131 grain Ace. Well my rifle seemed finicky from the get go. One day it would shoot awesome and the next day not so much. I kept tweaking and changing loads to try to figure it out. I'd shoot 5 in one hole and then 5 around 1.25 inches.
Make multiple hits on a 10 inch gong at 1000 yards no then next time could hardly hit it. The rifle had just under 250 rounds through it. I never got it hot and never pushed it real hard. Found where pressure was during initial load development and then backed it down from there.
Well I took it back to my gunsmith to have him check it out. Also told him it was fouling pretty good. As it was taking a long time to clean it out. My smith called me back and told me he ran his bore scope through it and it wasn't to good. Chips outta bore half way down the barrel and the throat firecracked pretty good.
I called Krieger and they had me send it in. A week later they called and said they were replacing my barrel. I asked them if I could change my rifling from the standard 4 groove to a 5R and they said no problem. We should have you a new barrel in 6 weeks. Pretty good customer service in my book. Nice to see they stand behind their products.

Attachments

• 9C31BDB8-399B-45CB-8D81-7645A91D62C0.jpeg
    9C31BDB8-399B-45CB-8D81-7645A91D62C0.jpeg
    16.1 KB · Views: 165
  • 674E8652-4DD4-4F1E-99CC-C9B2B162F6FF.jpeg
    674E8652-4DD4-4F1E-99CC-C9B2B162F6FF.jpeg
    14.3 KB · Views: 146
  • 7779932B-7412-4401-8D74-AA06C6EA9E47.jpeg
    7779932B-7412-4401-8D74-AA06C6EA9E47.jpeg
    17.4 KB · Views: 151
  • B372A496-BBA9-4557-ACF5-F214EE940411.jpeg
    B372A496-BBA9-4557-ACF5-F214EE940411.jpeg
    14.3 KB · Views: 152
That is what brings repeat customers when there is a legitimate complaint.
For sure. I've only ran Brux barrels and thought I'd switch it up this time as my Smith is a big Krieger guy. I'm sure this doesn't happen very often. But I usually have bad luck so can't say I was surprised. I will most likely give them business again.

Very good customer service.

True but like all companies & quite a few I won't name firearms & accessories related industry these things should be picked up by a decent QA process.

If this one that was picked up by a end consumer then how many more hundreds or thousands came out of the plant the same way??

These things should end up in the scrap heap before the affect, not fitted to rifles!!

Great result from Krieger

Some of those pics look like there is wet fluff from cleaning the barrel

Seen it several times in my barrels, push another dry patch through & it disappears

Throat erosion is to be expected with a case like that

True but like all companies & quite a few I won't name firearms & accessories related industry these things should be picked up by a decent QA process.

If this one that was picked up by a end consumer then how many more hundreds or thousands came out of the plant the same way??

These things should end up in the scrap heap before the affect, not fitted to rifles!!
Theres one thing the gun barrel manufacturer doesnt have control over is the steel. Sure not all gun barrel 416 is the same but there could be a small section in the 16' or 20' foot piece they get that's bad and they dont know it untill it gets shot. I saw a barrel from a well know manufacturer that looked perfect after it was completely made and installed then after it had about 200 rounds through it started shooting like crap looked like it had little craters in the barrel that weren't there when it was new.
No it wasnt because solvent or something like that was left in the barrel.
Almost like there was micro air pockets in the steel like burst from the heat shooting it is my guess.

No. I know I'm out some money there. But my gunsmith is pretty good to me.

End of the day you had to waste money out of your pocket for their faulty product. They should reimburse you the money spent having to have the barrel chambered. I don't see anything special on what they did. Sounds like they're only going half way IMO on what they should actually do. I never had an issue with Brux Barrels or Bartlein. Thanks for letting us know. Good luck.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.