Krieger Barrels

model70fan

How come it seems nobody uses Krieger barrels. I have found them to be very good barrels. Im thinking of building a 6.6x 284 Norma and was wondering what you guys opions are.

I have sereval krigers on long range rifles, they shoot great. Just put one on my 338- 408 improved also. I think one reason is that it is a long wait if you order direct from kriger. There is a tons of krigers barrels used in 600 and 1000yd here in N.C. A local gun smith is a dealer for kriger also.

Have a new one at the smiths waiting for me to get my reamer to him in the next few days. The first pick brand for John King, my smith. I have a Lilja on my edge and will never own another. It shoots good but copper foul, look out.

Wildrose, so I take it you like the kreiger barrels too. Have you ever used Lilja, and if so, did ya like it?

My smith says that they are too tight. Mine seems like it gets tighter toward the end of the muzzle when I am running a patch through it.

There is a reason you see Krieger so many times here

Standings

15-20 years ago it was Hart and Shilen at the top of the equipment list. Now it's pretty much dominated by Broughton and Krieger with some others in much smaller numbers. If you were shooting competition and could pick any barrel what would you use? That's the same decision the competitors make.

A friend of mine built a .338 Edge for another guy that shoots benchrest with a 6mm Dasher. He just brought him the groups he shot with the gun this weekend. 2 were in the .0XX and 1 was in the .1XX for 5 shots. He said the gun has never shot a group out of the .2's and is the most accurate rifle he has ever owned. It has a Krieger 9.35 twist. The same friend that built the rifle had a .338 Edge of his own with the same barrel that shot about the same. It shot a 7/8" group at 800yds.

i have 6 kriegers and one hart. all shoot .5 or less. my brother had shilen; it shot bigger groups than the remington factory he took Off. his lilja shot .75 with the loads lt liked.

I'm running a Krieger on my 6-284 (which was built several years ago). It consistently produces 100yd groups in the .3's, which is about as good as I can hold. :D
Like I said, mine is a few years old. But quality is top notch. I don't know if it is the same now or not, but if it is, I would definitely buy another.

It seems that different circles have different barrel makers that are in vogue. A lot of the Old School guys still use Hart. The Tactical crowd seems to think Rock is the only brand to run. It's like blood lines in cutting horses--what's hot now may not be in a few years or even months.

I have a Krieger on a .243AI that shoots extremely well. My son has a Krieger on his rifle of the same caliber that shoots very well also. I ordered a Lilja for a lighter .243AI build. I'll see how it does. A couple of shilen barrels do well for us and a Douglas that had some tool marks towards the muzzle but shoots well now that it was shortened. Unless you are a true BR shooter, I think most iof the better barrel makers will make a product that will satisfy you. I would not be afraid of using a Krieger though. They shoot. Just my $.02 or less.

That friend of mine shot 6-8 world records w/ his, and started breaking in a new one last year. We where shooting at his 1000 set up and he shot a 2-3, 2 group.2 where 1/2- 3 where 1 1/2. Total of 5= 2 3/4 @ 1003 yrds 6mmdasher

Krieger is all that I use in fact have several blanks in my safe as well at my Smith's shop. As stated above there is a good reason they have a waiting list. That said if you know where to look you can usually find one in a pinch esp in 6mm, 6.5, 30 or 338.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.