Krieger Barrels

Krieger is all that I use in fact have several blanks in my safe as well at my Smith's shop. As stated above there is a good reason they have a waiting list. That said if you know where to look you can usually find one in a pinch esp in 6mm, 6.5, 30 or 338.

IIRC, bugholes (Southern Precision Rifles) is now stocking Krieger....:rolleyes:

YES!! I am also very tempted to try one of the Boots tubes! Just because!!! May do it for a sporter.

^^^ Must be a brother from another mother lol .... I just picked up an 8.4 twist Obermeyer (31" AMU) for a 6.5WSM build... Karl Feldkamp did some spiral fluting for me... ooh-la-la my friend... :D can't wait..

. A lot of the Old School guys still use Hart.

I would not be afraid of using a Krieger though. They shoot. Just my $.02 or less.

Old School! Careful there, :D I named my choices from what I have personally seen shoot the best on my rifles, or rifles I have shot myself. The Harts I have used all shot .2 and .3's @ 300 yrds with many groups fired durring testing and development. Those barrels are all 1/2 moa to 1000 as well. Hart made one slight mistake on one of my orders and fluted a tube to long and I could not use it for a 26" build. They got another tube to me super fast, acknowledged their mistake, and next day aired it. I chose to keep the first tube for a 28" build later and they greatly discounted the price. I never asked them to do any of this, they offered it with out request. Plus I have seen Shawn Carlock's rifles shoot and they are tac drivers. He uses Hart and I figure he has good reasons.

My sons and my 300 win both now wear Broughton 5C's. My sons shoots a bit tighter but is a much heavier contour. Both of these rifles are awesome shooters out to and even beyond 1000 yards.

My 338 LM has a Lilja, this rifle is also a great shooter and has now 1400 rounds through it. I am still amazed as it will print a 1/2 moa group pretty much on demand to well past 1400 yards.

My 6mm br has a Kreiger and it is a tac driver too and has also shot 1/2 moa at 1000.

I think one needs to consider that Broughton uses the 5 land rifling, Hart uses 6, Lilja makes 5 and 3 I think. and Kreiger has always used 4 but recently started making 5 as it was strongly requested. They told me it was not what they prefer but they felt a need for something like the 5C since everyone was wanting it. I dont understand why you need to change if you have tac driving barrels. But I think maybe differences in caliber or twist may demand a change. Thats my opinion anyway.

Like I have stated many times. I feel all of the great barrel makers we have named make great barrels. And any of them can make a dud. No one is perfect and in manufacturing of things as critical as a barrel the slightest slip or flaw even in mateial can produce a dud. In all the barrels I have bought I have only purchased one dud. It was a Kreiger that was used in my build of my full custon 300 win. It simply was a 1 1/2 moa barrel. I tried everything else first. Proper brake in was done, two NXS scopes were bolted on, bases and rings were re-installed, even an extre NF ring was added. Groups were shot with and wth out the brake, two types of brass both Lapua and RWS. 5 different powders, two bullets and a total of 100 rounds fired. The rifle was simply a 1 1/2 moa rifle. I know I shoot better than this! It was a new Defiance action in a McMillan stock that was built by a great rifle smith. I called Kreiger looking for advice or help. I was tired, beat up, disappointed and lost. I questioned the 4 land barrel or a possible problem with the tube. I got the short responce that it must be me or the rifle and 4 land is simply " what we do" It was clear they wanted off the phone, didn't have time or what ever. No offer to inspect the barrel if I returned it, no offer of any help for a replacement, no offer of anything to help, try , ... nothing. I hung up the phone and called Broughton and ordered a 5C since my sons rifle with one was such a shooter. It was installed and now this rifle drives tacs too.

Like I said, they all make great barrels and anyone can spit out a bad one. I know Kreigers shoot very well. It was how they handeled the problem that makes the barrels I now use look better to me.

Sorry for the long post. I wanted to tell the story in full. I don't hate Kreiger, maybe the guy I got on the phone that day was having other problems and my call timing was bad. What ever. Just wanted to state why I choose the tubes I do.

Hart, Broughton and Lilja

FWIW

Jeff

I just ordered a #5 7mm from Obermeyer myself. The only problem with Obermeyers stuff is the bore size is .002" smaller on almost all of his barrels. So if your using range rods to dial in the barrel they wont fit down the barrel. I talked to Dave Kiff about it and we concluded that a .277 range rod is what I'll need for mine with a .2738 pilot.

^^^ Must be a brother from another mother lol .... I just picked up an 8.4 twist Obermeyer (31" AMU) for a 6.5WSM build... Karl Feldkamp did some spiral fluting for me... ooh-la-la my friend... :D can't wait..

I have a 6.5 WSM as well---please let me know how it shoots!

Old School! Careful there, :D I named my choices from what I have personally seen shoot the best on my rifles, or rifles I have shot myself. The Harts I have used all shot .2 and .3's @ 300 yrds with many groups fired durring testing and development. Those barrels are all 1/2 moa to 1000 as well. Hart made one slight mistake on one of my orders and fluted a tube to long and I could not use it for a 26" build. They got another tube to me super fast, acknowledged their mistake, and next day aired it. I chose to keep the first tube for a 28" build later and they greatly discounted the price. I never asked them to do any of this, they offered it with out request. Plus I have seen Shawn Carlock's rifles shoot and they are tac drivers. He uses Hart and I figure he has good reasons.

My sons and my 300 win both now wear Broughton 5C's. My sons shoots a bit tighter but is a much heavier contour. Both of these rifles are awesome shooters out to and even beyond 1000 yards.

My 338 LM has a Lilja, this rifle is also a great shooter and has now 1400 rounds through it. I am still amazed as it will print a 1/2 moa group pretty much on demand to well past 1400 yards.

My 6mm br has a Kreiger and it is a tac driver too and has also shot 1/2 moa at 1000.

I think one needs to consider that Broughton uses the 5 land rifling, Hart uses 6, Lilja makes 5 and 3 I think. and Kreiger has always used 4 but recently started making 5 as it was strongly requested. They told me it was not what they prefer but they felt a need for something like the 5C since everyone was wanting it. I dont understand why you need to change if you have tac driving barrels. But I think maybe differences in caliber or twist may demand a change. Thats my opinion anyway.

Like I have stated many times. I feel all of the great barrel makers we have named make great barrels. And any of them can make a dud. No one is perfect and in manufacturing of things as critical as a barrel the slightest slip or flaw even in mateial can produce a dud. In all the barrels I have bought I have only purchased one dud. It was a Kreiger that was used in my build of my full custon 300 win. It simply was a 1 1/2 moa barrel. I tried everything else first. Proper brake in was done, two NXS scopes were bolted on, bases and rings were re-installed, even an extre NF ring was added. Groups were shot with and wth out the brake, two types of brass both Lapua and RWS. 5 different powders, two bullets and a total of 100 rounds fired. The rifle was simply a 1 1/2 moa rifle. I know I shoot better than this! It was a new Defiance action in a McMillan stock that was built by a great rifle smith. I called Kreiger looking for advice or help. I was tired, beat up, disappointed and lost. I questioned the 4 land barrel or a possible problem with the tube. I got the short responce that it must be me or the rifle and 4 land is simply " what we do" It was clear they wanted off the phone, didn't have time or what ever. No offer to inspect the barrel if I returned it, no offer of any help for a replacement, no offer of anything to help, try , ... nothing. I hung up the phone and called Broughton and ordered a 5C since my sons rifle with one was such a shooter. It was installed and now this rifle drives tacs too.

Like I said, they all make great barrels and anyone can spit out a bad one. I know Kreigers shoot very well. It was how they handeled the problem that makes the barrels I now use look better to me.

Sorry for the long post. I wanted to tell the story in full. I don't hate Kreiger, maybe the guy I got on the phone that day was having other problems and my call timing was bad. What ever. Just wanted to state why I choose the tubes I do.

Hart, Broughton and Lilja

FWIW

Jeff

Jeff from reading your story above I would have looked at the tube with a scope then returned it to Krieger for examination. Not saying that you are not correct but after having many conversations with the makers in particular Krieger if there is a problem it is almost always attributable to the shooter or the Smith. There are a lot of bad things that can happen when indicating in a tube as well as when it is being chambered.

I just ordered a #5 7mm from Obermeyer myself. The only problem with Obermeyers stuff is the bore size is .002" smaller on almost all of his barrels. So if your using range rods to dial in the barrel they wont fit down the barrel. I talked to Dave Kiff about it and we concluded that a .277 range rod is what I'll need for mine with a .2738 pilot.

Well that will be my Smiths problem LOL! I will just tell him not to "jackass it" as he likes to say! I know of one person who shoots his stuff and he has for many years---he loves his.

I have a buddy that is in the process of researching a build right now and when he contacted Krieger he felt he was annoying them. He then looked at their website and found the following page.

PLEASE READ
read the last couple paragraphs.

It made his decission easy.

I have a buddy that is in the process of researching a build right now and when he contacted Krieger he felt he was annoying them. He then looked at their website and found the following page.

PLEASE READ

I agree Krieger is not in the hand holding buisness. Why should they be? They make rifled tubes no more no less and they are among the best at what they do.

Jeff from reading your story above I would have looked at the tube with a scope then returned it to Krieger for examination. Not saying that you are not correct but after having many conversations with the makers in particular Krieger if there is a problem it is almost always attributable to the shooter or the Smith. There are a lot of bad things that can happen when indicating in a tube as well as when it is being chambered.

I realize this, and so does the smith I used. We looked at this first too. It was also a brand new reamer and the chamber job looked great to me. Brass came out looking flawless and all was on center. There was some slight evidence of stringing too, and Cryo was considered. I hear what you are saying, but at that point I just wanted it fixed, and a new tube was the fix. The same smith did the re-barrel with the same reamer. He has built me many shooters and knows how anal I am. What ever it was, was fixed with a new tube. I am sure you have had a barrel you have culled before. This was one I culled. Again, maybe it was not the barrel, how could you prove it? The cheapest thing I did was cull the barrel. You would have to have heard the tone on the phone to understand fully. Like I said. I know Kreiger makes a good tube as do the MfG's I now use. Maybe I am "cutting off my nose to spite my face" in a sence. But I know the rifle shoots to my expectations now and I choose to work with people that will help when you have an issue, no matter who or what is the blame.

Thanks for you reply.

Jeff

PLEASE READ

Not sticking up for Krieger, but for any company that busy it is a good Policy, they are paid to make barrels, and will answer your barrel questions. If they spend all their time on the phone they arent building barrels or getting paid. I can understand attitude will ruin a sale though. I once called Hart because I was going to order a barrel with some fluting that they offered that I really liked, the lady on the phone was so rude I havent even been to their website since. there are too many companies that would love to have my business than one that is rude to me or seemingly annoyed. Thumbs down on whoever your buddy talked to for not handling the situation better

Boz: No offense intended on the Old School thing, Jeff! I'm pretty Old School myself. A lot of the earlier target competitors used the Hart's and won trophies with them so they just stick with what works. Nothing wrong with that. A new crowd and a new record using a Brand X barrel and everyone is knocking their door down. Thanks for the info on the Krieger issue. I can see where you're coming from. Many times it's not the quality of the product but the quality of the service that seperates companies...lightbulb The Krieger link backs that up. Their point could have been made with a little more tact. But, the barrels do still shoot. :D

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.