Shooting results !!!!!! (Today) Pics added!!

READ the operators manual for the correct usage of reticle focus, it's not for target focus! It's to bad your so stinking far away, you need some rock bandits or wolves to practice on gun)

It sure is a few miles to travel to you guys . 2 weeks of wolf killin and rock busting along with the beautiful MTN's yall have and I would probably pack up and move ! !

Thanks for the advice bigngreen , I will read my manual again....
Thanks for the link Broz ....

It is suppose to be in the 80's later this week , so I plan to try some shooting again.

I'm really looking forward to trying the target at 1000. once I see what my group does at this range (off the BI-pods and dense sand bag on the rear) I will try and fine tune my load . I will have to ask you fellas for some help because I really dont know any more tricks concerning reloading. So either I need more practice or my loading needs work or who kn ows maybe both:)

bigbuck

"Any ideas why?"

Yes! Something so small that most miss it!

At shot break....if your vision is concentrated on the target INSTEAD of the apex of the scope reticule....you WILL NOT shoot a tight group! Your HOLD must be established such that your position must be 'rock solid', the target is seen in your secondary vision, with primary vision upon the apex of the reticule!

Another very simple thing.

Buy a snap cap that fits your rifle.

Set up exactly as you were before and practice your relaxation and trigger squeeze.

If you see a wobble of your cross hairs on the target, your problem is in your trigger/control.

bigbuck

"Any ideas why?"

Yes! Something so small that most miss it!

At shot break....if your vision is concentrated on the target INSTEAD of the apex of the scope reticule....you WILL NOT shoot a tight group! Your HOLD must be established such that your position must be 'rock solid', the target is seen in your secondary vision, with primary vision upon the apex of the reticule!

I really thingk that the truck hood was the problem. After reading everyones input . The but stock was sticking out past the edge of the hood @ the 600 target . I was standing in a low spot that was next to the truck , so i idnt have much upper body behind the gun. That could have allowed the gun to drop down upon recoil. Just a thought .
I would say that I was no where near rock solid compared to shooting prone.

Doesn't matter how you shoot, whether your controlling recoil or letting it free recoil, as long as you have the same consistant hold every time. I done some testing Friday morning and had ideal conditions, like you I was shooting off a truck hood, I was shooting 1013yards, versapod up front, bag in the rear, after I got on target, I sent five, I could tell the hold was different with the first two than the last 3 because on the hood I could not get my level back to the right position without trying to torque the rifle, so I ended up with 2 an inch apart and the other three in a 2 1/2" cluster about 7" from the first two, ended up 9 7/8", it would have been under 5" if I was using the proper rest, also don't get to upset with your groups, I have shot with people that have been shooting 1000yrd IBS for over 10 years and watched them print 14-18" groups with rifles that are known shooters capable of 4" groups, the farther out you go the more you have to practice, but I think your doing pretty good considering.

Doesn't matter how you shoot, whether your controlling recoil or letting it free recoil, as long as you have the same consistant hold every time. I done some testing Friday morning and had ideal conditions, like you I was shooting off a truck hood, I was shooting 1013yards, versapod up front, bag in the rear, after I got on target, I sent five, I could tell the hold was different with the first two than the last 3 because on the hood I could not get my level back to the right position without trying to torque the rifle, so I ended up with 2 an inch apart and the other three in a 2 1/2" cluster about 7" from the first two, ended up 9 7/8", it would have been under 5" if I was using the proper rest, also don't get to upset with your groups, I have shot with people that have been shooting 1000yrd IBS for over 10 years and watched them print 14-18" groups with rifles that are known shooters capable of 4" groups, the farther out you go the more you have to practice, but I think your doing pretty good considering.

Thanks backwoods. just now found my thread , sorry for the late response. maybe some one could show me how I can track the thread ? If thats possible. I plan on giving it another try pretty soon. I have ordered the bubble level. we'll see how it goes at 1000gun)

You'll have to go to your settings in the user panel and sync your account to your email, if you have email on a smart phone it'll automatically pop up on your phone, if you have responded to a lot of threads it can be annoying sometimes.

Well you need to keep looking through your scope to see where you are after the shot. It's called follow through. If your crosshairs are way off target after your shot then you are holding the rifle incorrectly.

Not to be a smart ***, I actually want too know, but how the hell do you keep your crosshairs on the target when shooting large magnum calibers?? I sure never can not matter how I hold the gun
Today I shot the same MOA from 250 over the hood of my suv as I did at 100 from a wood bench, my new load wasn't what I expected/wanted, but I was consitant from bench to hood at least.

Not to be a smart ***, I actually want too know, but how the hell do you keep your crosshairs on the target when shooting large magnum calibers?? I sure never can not matter how I hold the gun
Today I shot the same MOA from 250 over the hood of my suv as I did at 100 from a wood bench, my new load wasn't what I expected/wanted, but I was consitant from bench to hood at least.
With the right rig, set up properly it's no problem at all.

It requires a really good muzzle brake, a heavier (relative to light sporters) rig, and the right form (shooter's form).

Even with my 300 Rum I have no problem seeing impacts at 100-200yds much less at long range.

The mass/weight of the shooter also comes into play because of that equal and opposite reaction to shifting mass.

A 90lbs kid or woman isn't going to be able to do it as well as a 200lbs guy shooting the same rig due to the latter.

I think if people would get off the shaky wood benches, truck hoods, soft back packs and get a good form going on prone they would be amazed at the results. But then small groups and spoting your own hits are not for everybody. :)

Jeff

I think if people would get off the shaky wood benches, truck hoods, soft back packs and get a good form going on prone they would be amazed at the results. But then small groups and spoting your own hits are not for everybody. :)

Jeff

I am just the new convert to try from going from the "truck hoods" to prone. All my life I have shot off of the truck hood. I am excited to see what happens when prone:)

The Defensive Edge Brake is the best break that I have ever shot. It really tames the RUM .........

RTK glad you decided to give us your thoughts but could you please not curse . There is a lot of good folks on this site and you usually dont see profanity in the threads. Thanks again and happy shooting..............

I don't have an answer to your question. However I do spot each hit from 200 yards to as far as I shoot.

At the June Montana shoot, bigngreen shot my 375 Allen Mag prone @ 1k stating that it "broke" really clean and that he could see the bullet's flight all the way to the target. Pretty much blew my itty bitty mind.:rolleyes:

He sure knows something that I don't!

I guess I have some practicing to do.:)

Jeff

No doubt and I am sure it wouldn't hurt. I am primarily a hunter but have found a lot of enjoyment over the years working up loads and punching holes in paper. I am now trying to increase my shooting abilities and proficiency at greater distances. Never really shot much prone due to hunting conditions, but will be trying it the next time I am at my club.
Nothing more frustrating than shooting .25-.5 moa groups one day and coming back a few day later and having flyers that double that. Thing is I don't see this when I shoot smaller calibers 223, 243, or 22-250AI over the hood or on a rickety wood bench, just with my 300wm

No doubt and I am sure it wouldn't hurt. I am primarily a hunter but have found a lot of enjoyment over the years working up loads and punching holes in paper. I am now trying to increase my shooting abilities and proficiency at greater distances. Never really shot much prone due to hunting conditions, but will be trying it the next time I am at my club.
Nothing more frustrating than shooting .25-.5 moa groups one day and coming back a few day later and having flyers that double that. Thing is I don't see this when I shoot smaller calibers 223, 243, or 22-250AI over the hood or on a rickety wood bench, just with my 300wm
Just put a decent muzzle brake on it and that problem will most likely fade away quickly.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts