Shooting results !!!!!! (Today) Pics added!!

Well you need to keep looking through your scope to see where you are after the shot. It's called follow through. If your crosshairs are way off target after your shot then you are holding the rifle incorrectly.

Okay I will try this as well . Whatever it takes ! Thanks

bunny ear bag. I was refering to the rear bag rest that is next to your windshield. I
prefer mine as hard as I can get it. I've noticed that a soft bag can contribute to vertical stinging. the reason i pay attention to wear my cross hairs settle after the shot is because if I set up my body position so that the cross hairs are close to point of aim my groups are much better.when shooting from a bipod, I want my cross hairs above the target and very little left or right after the shot.

Re: Shooting results !!!!!! (Today)

I understand the need for gettig up off the ground, but shooting across a truck hood in not a stable platform for these distances. Put a piece of 3/4 OSB or plywood in the back of the truck. Drop the tailgate and slide the plywood out the the end of the gate. Then go prone with a good bipod and solid sand bags on the rear.
Except in Pa. one heck of a fine shooting off of a vechicle at any part. Cant even leave a loaded gun resting against vechicle while eating lunch.
Mike

Except in Pa. one heck of a fine shooting off of a vechicle at any part. Cant even leave a loaded gun resting against vechicle while eating lunch.
Mike

Even on private land? Wow! Guess thats why I live in Montana. Thanks for the heads up though. In talking with a Game Warden here I was told it is legal as long as you are not shooting game. For shooting game you may use the truck as a rest but your feet need to be on the ground. Over the hood , box rail or between the door and cab is ok, as long as your feet are on the ground.

Big Buck where do you live?

Jeff

Even on private land? Wow! Guess thats why I live in Montana. Thanks for the heads up though. In talking with a Game Warden here I was told it is legal as long as you are not shooting game. For shooting game you may use the truck as a rest but your feet need to be on the ground. Over the hood , box rail or between the door and cab is ok, as long as your feet are on the ground.

Big Buck where do you live?

Jeff

Alabama . Guess yalls can call me a full blooded redneck :D.

The truck is my father inlaws (black) saburbin which didnt help my barrel any. Thats why I put the card board under the barrel on top of the hood. I was sweating so hard that my but stock looked like you had poured water on it .

Thanks guys for taking the time to help me out , with your advice and help I really appreciate it !

You actually shot sub MOA at 800 yds which is not bad at all. I have also learned a lot from that link that he posted.

next time I go to shoot I will try and remeber to get a pic of the 813 target.

Thanks for the encouragement its easy to beat your self up when you read folks are shooting 3 1/2 to 4'' groups @ 1000.

One of these days I will post a target like that but I can see it's going to take some time ''trigger time.''

Few big buck mainly we all come west. Lol Doesent matter private or public hunting or target can not shoot off or lean against a vechicle here in Maryland where i live, also in Pennsylvania where i own property and mainly hunt. Easy money fine for dnr. there can be no ammo in any part of the gun or attached magazine ( clip } . A muzzloader can have powder and ball but no cap or flash pan charged.
mike

BigBuck,

Broz uses a RedTac rear bag. He mentions it in a later posting on the thread in that link. After reading I got one an it works well. I wish it was a tad bit bigger but it does the job and is light which is important when packing it on a hunt.

Bigbuck what is the average ES and SD of the load that you were shooting? That could be part of your verticle problem.

I usually take a deep breath just before I steady the cross hairs on the target relax and let it out while the cross hairs are were they need to be then I try to let it be a surprise when the gun goes off.
Try to exhale very slowly and not let over half out. If you do and then you spend a few extra seconds trying to get exactly on your desired POI you will begin to go into debt and start pushing to hurry the shot which usually ends badly.

If you retain half a breath it pretty much eliminates that problem.

Not such a big deal shooting targets but on game it can be critical and of course even when target shooting I like to treat it the same as when hunting so that it all stays on automatic.

Good read!
You made mention of the most dense rear bag . What do you use and where can I get one ?

I will get a pod lock as well.

and to think that I told my wife I have bought everything I need ..LOL
I just use old used shot bags and fill them with vermiculite.

Much lighter than sand but works great.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.