Shooting results !!!!!! (Today) Pics added!!

He said his problem was vertical. The group on the first page is great horizontal but vertical isnt too good.
Well got up early this morning And headed out to the hunting club. We have several fields between 2 MTN'S . Problem is the farmers have planted field corn and its nearly 8 ft tall !. I made a target stand with a 4 x 4 sheet of plywood at the top making the total height 12 Ft 3'' . You guys are very lucky where you all live and shoot. Here in my neck of the woods its a Long Range Challenge just to find a place to practice, let alone hunt. Next challenge was to find some high ground for the truck .(yep we shoot right off the hood) only option at this time.

Here below is my honest results no fish stories in this thread:cool:

keep in mind it was extremely hot and shooting across corn has a wind advantage but the mirage was terrible! Looked like at times, a swift river.

If someone could direct me to the how to post pics info for this site I will try and post some . Thanks

600 Yards
Temp 71.2
R.H89.1
Baro Pressure 29.29
Elevation 589
Ballistics program called for 10. Moa up
To get spot on , I ended up with a total 9.3/4 MOA
Center to center of my 3 shot group was a huge 8 3/4 ''

Question it was vertical I havent had this kind of group pattern before .
Any Ideahs why ?

Next set up was 813 Yards
Temp 83.1
R.H 72.0
Baro pressure 29.25
Elevation 627
Ballistics program called for 17.25 up MOA
Actual dial was 15.3/4

Group measured 6 3/8'' center to center.

I read after folks and these groups seem rather large.
What do you guys think ? This is my first time to ever shoot a group at 813 yards...

Note the 813 group didnt print in a vertical line but was more of a triangular shape.

I will try to post some pics later .

Thanks for any help and or ideahs.

Bigbuck what is the average ES and SD of the load that you were shooting? That could be part of your verticle problem.

SD was 12.4 10 shot string. CDM 2 chronograph...

What I dont understand is the 2 different group paterns ?

The 800 yarder was smaller and looked better than the pic that I have posted.

Your right wildrose holding half way will let me settle in and not rush the shot so I can grasp more air !

Thanks korhil78 I will check out the redtac bag !

You need a level, under $30 from Midway USA.

Remember that a good LR combination of Rifle, ammo and shooter skill will be a 1/2 MOA group. So take that off of the group size and couple it with what we have talked about as far as good form, being solid and mirage, and you did quite well.

I admire your determination and willingness to learn. I always said Long Range Shooting is a commitment. Some never take the time and effort to perfect it. I have a feeling you are going to do fine. Just don't be too criticle and take your time. Each trip you most likely will improve. If you keep at it, take notes and diagnose the issues.

Jeff

SD was 12.4 10 shot string. CDM 2 chronograph...

Your right wildrose holding half way will let me settle in and not rush the shot so I can grasp more air !

Thanks korhil78 I will check out the redtac bag !
I really try not to even hold at half way unless the target is moving, I just tend to keep releasing even slower.

We tend to forget that we only utilize on average about 20-25% of the available oxygen in each breath so we can go much longer between breaths than we typically do with no ill effects.

One question... .?

Have you taken your scope and adjusted the focus on the rear objective such than you can read 1/2" writing clearly at 100yds?

If not, try to do so.

Being just slightly off on focus or parallax adjustment can make for some pretty big errors at long range.

It amazes me how often I've looked through someone's scope who was having trouble only to find they've never even adjusted the focus.

You need a level, under $30 from Midway USA.

Remember that a good LR combination of Rifle, ammo and shooter skill will be a 1/2 MOA group. So take that off of the group size and couple it with what we have talked about as far as good form, being solid and mirage, and you did quite well.

I admire your determination and willingness to learn. I always said Long Range Shooting is a commitment. Some never take the time and effort to perfect it. I have a feeling you are going to do fine. Just don't be too criticle and take your time. Each trip you most likely will improve. If you keep at it, take notes and diagnose the issues.

Jeff

Thanks for the encouragement. Next time out I am going to try and target validate. So many steps ,I have so much to learn. Each task causes me to respect all thats involved in making a Long range shot . I will get the level that you mentioned . does it mount on the NF rail or should I get the one that mounts on the scope ring cap ? I plan on getting a cosine indicator some day.

I really try not to even hold at half way unless the target is moving, I just tend to keep releasing even slower.

We tend to forget that we only utilize on average about 20-25% of the available oxygen in each breath so we can go much longer between breaths than we typically do with no ill effects.

One question... .?

Have you taken your scope and adjusted the focus on the rear objective such than you can read 1/2" writing clearly at 100yds?

If not, try to do so.

Being just slightly off on focus or parallax adjustment can make for some pretty big errors at long range.

It amazes me how often I've looked through someone's scope who was having trouble only to find they've never even adjusted the focus.

I havent had my NF scope too long . I have never adjusted the focus at all on the rear. seems like I read in the manual that I didnt need to in most cases . Am I wrong ? I will try it . How did you learn to write 1/2 '' writing at 100 yards to gauge the setting ?? pretty neat I might add.....

Thanks for the encouragement. Next time out I am going to try and target validate. So many steps ,I have so much to learn. Each task causes me to respect all thats involved in making a Long range shot . I will get the level that you mentioned . does it mount on the NF rail or should I get the one that mounts on the scope ring cap ? I plan on getting a cosine indicator some day.
USO makes a dandy that mounts to the scope rail as well as another that mounts to your scope tube.

http://www.6mmbr.com/catalog/item/1433308/905825.htm

Flatline OPS has a fairly new one out that has both a fold out level and angle cosine indicator.

New Scope-Mounted Level and ADI Mount from Flatline Ops « Daily Bulletin

I really think there's great advantages to the levels that do not require you to move your head breaking your cheek weld to view them.

Horus also makes one similar that I really like that mounts to the side of the scope.

HORUS VISION ASLI (Angle Slope Level Indicator): MSP Scope Mounts

I have also seen where some gus have carved out a groove in the stock just behind the rear tang and epoxied a level in.

I havent had my NF scope too long . I have never adjusted the focus at all on the rear. seems like I read in the manual that I didnt need to in most cases . Am I wrong ? I will try it . How did you learn to write 1/2 '' writing at 100 yards to gauge the setting ?? pretty neat I might add.....
I use a feed sack and count 100yds. Then set my parallax to 100yds, and then focus the rear objective.

Set your magnification to whatever level you need, but I'd avoid maxing out the magnification for this purpose.

Here ya go! There are plenty of nicer more expensive units but I have used many of these. I have seen two that the level came loose in the tube. But no biggie. If this happens just put a dab of clear silicone in the back of it and slide it back in and it is good forever. Can't beat it for the price.

B-SQUARE BUBBLE LEVEL FITS THE WEAVER RAIL | eBay

Jeff
I've looked at those myself as well. To be honest they are so much cheaper than the others it's made me question if they'd hold up, but then if they didn't you wouldn't be out much.. .gun)

READ the operators manual for the correct usage of reticle focus, it's not for target focus! It's to bad your so stinking far away, you need some rock bandits or wolves to practice on gun)

READ the operators manual for the correct usage of reticle focus, it's not for target focus! It's to bad your so stinking far away, you need some rock bandits or wolves to practice on gun)
On a quality scope when the reticle focus and parallax are both correct the target will be clean and crisp.

If the reticle focus is not correct it will not be.

If however the reticle gets fuzzy before you get that clean crisp edge on the target, then it tells you the parallax calibration is off. If the latter is the case then it's going to be very difficult to get it focused properly at LR which can then be part of the error.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.