Savage vs Remington 700

archanfire

Hello all, I hope everyone is safe and well. I recently purchased a Axis II in 270win with the advice from the great people here and like it so far. What I'm looking to do is maybe take a step up in quality. I'm considering a Savage116 or a new production Rem700. I know Remington has had questionable QC over the last several years, but I would like to hear some experiences to see if maybe one is better than the other in terms of quality/accuracy, or if I should just pour money into upgrading my factory AxisII.

Thanks!

Last edited:
I have a new Remarms 700 ADL 7mm RM. My whole intention was to upgrade the stock to a KRG Bravo so the ADL made sense. I only have 30 rounds down the tube for load development, breaking in the barrel, and fire forming brass. It already shoots sub 0.5 moa with virgin brass. The action is smooth, factory trigger breaks at 3lbs 12 oz. I've shot Savages and may own one in the future. But I own three Rem 700's. They're both fine, I've always considered the Remington's to be finished a bit nicer than the 110's or 116's. The Axis is a grade below, but it's priced accordingly. These days you can install a barrel by yourself to either the Savage or Remington's. And the aftermarket support is pretty good to both with the edge going to Remington. You can make any of them better including the Axis. So you just have to decide which action you like better. There's no right or wrong answer here. Just which one you like better.
1702127462348.jpeg

I have a new Remarms 700 ADL 7mm RM. My whole intention was to upgrade the stock to a KRG Bravo so the ADL made sense. I only have 30 rounds down the tube for load development, breaking in the barrel, and fire forming brass. It already shoots sub 0.5 moa with virgin brass. The action is smooth, factory trigger breaks at 3lbs 12 oz. I've shot Savages and may own one in the future. But I own three Rem 700's. They're both fine, I've always considered the Remington's to be finished a bit nicer than the 110's or 116's. The Axis is a grade below, but it's priced accordingly. These days you can install a barrel by yourself to either the Savage or Remington's. And the aftermarket support is pretty good to both with the edge going to Remington. You can make any of them better including the Axis. So you just have to decide which action you like better. There's no right or wrong answer here. Just which one you like better. View attachment 519207
Very nice; Thanks for sharing your experience!

The new Remington rifles seem to be getting good reviews these days, at least the ones I`ve seen. I own, shoot and enjoy three Savage rifles, the most recent ( little over a year ) being a Model 12 LRPV in .223. An absolute beast of a gun! Mean that in a good way! It`s my primary range rifle and is capable ( I`m not always! ) of sub-MOA groups out to 500 yards, the longest distance at our club range.

I have several of both and for the most part they perform well. But my remingtons are all 20 + years old. The newer models I have handled are not finished as well as the older models. And the Axis 6.5 I picked up two years ago shoots superbly for a $239 gun. I will never snub my nose at a Savage again!!!

I have several of both and for the most part they perform well. But my remingtons are all 20 + years old. The newer models I have handled are not finished as well as the older models. And the Axis 6.5 I picked up two years ago shoots superbly for a $239 gun. I will never snub my nose at a Savage again!!!
I remember when Rem was getting bad publicity when building the leverguns from Marlin purchase. But the small sample size of one I have in 35 Rem. Is a beauty. Just as fine or if not finer than my Marlins.

I will echo a couple other opinions. Unless you just have to have a factory built gun, I would save and build it custom the way you want it. You will be happier in the long run IMO.

An origin or similar priced action
Barrel of your choice or recommendation of smith
Stock trigger and optic and you're ready to roll with the options you want and not factory set up.

Recent Posts