700 ADL vs. BDL

Big_Tex22

If you had your choice when building a new custom, which of these two would you start with? Which is the most common as far as finding stocks to work with? Is either more inherently accurate as far as bedding ability, bottom metal choices, etc?

Big Tex22,

I always recommend the ADL to my customers that want extreme accuracy rifles. Nothing different with the receivers but the ADL stock design is MUCH stiffer then the BDL with its big open bottom for the floorplate.

Depending on what type of rifle you plan on building and at what ranges it will be used I would recommend the ADL for anything concerning extreme range or for heavy recoil as the much stiffer stock handles recoil better as well.

The BDL is certainly more popular and there are more aftermarket stock options for the BDL but there are plenty for the ADL as well so that is really not an issue. If your into Laminated wood stocks, Boyds makes some fine ADL as well as BDL stocks.

Perhaps the very best laminate stocks on the market are from Hollands Gunsmithing and they are ADL only so that tells you something about what Darryl Holland things is the most accurate design!!!

As far as composites go, McMillan is the best choice in my opinion but H-S Precision also offers several ADL models as well depensing on your specific rifle.

Of course all these makers offer BC stocks as well.

IT is my professional opinion that the ADL will on average outperform the BDL in accuracy. TO what degree will depend on the rifle design, ammo used and shooters ability.

Either design can easily be used to produce an extremely accurate rifle but if the main goal is accuracy in the extreme, I always lean toward an ADL.

Another advantage is that they are generally much cheaper to pick up a donor rifle in, even if your buying new.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

I also agree with Kirby. The ADL and BDL are the same 700 actions and the ADL is cheaper. SO if you are just gonna tear off the stock then you should go with the cheap one. Since both have the same action, that means that the stock choices are the same.

Good luck with your new custom.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.