Savage vs Remington 700

No question I am a Savage Fan Boy far greater than I ever was a fan of Remington. I bailed on Remington due to absolutely appalling customer service, and unwilling to fix a defective brand new 700 SPS in early 2000's. I am very intrigued to see for myself how the new ones are, just none have shown up where I could see it. I have original Axis to old 112. We run the Axis for ranch rifles in 223 and 22-250. The barrel and actions on ours are the exact same as the 110, and the half butted coating is a joke. Axis may be cheap and all of ours shoot lights out. I would suggest a 110 Storm.
Have a 110 Storm in .223. VERY happy with it, very accurate.

Hello all, I hope everyone is safe and well. I recently purchased a Axis II in 270win with the advice from the great people here and like it so far. What I'm looking to do is maybe take a step up in quality. I'm considering a Savage116 or a new production Rem700. I know Remington has had questionable QC over the last several years, but I would like to hear some experiences to see if maybe one is better than the other in terms of quality/accuracy, or if I should just pour money into upgrading my factory AxisII.

Thanks!
What style of shooting, maximum range, and intent purpose do you have for this new rifle? Is it for LR target shooting, PRS, or hunting?

In that case I would look at the 116 and figure out if it is a bottom bolt release or top bolt release. This will greatly impact your after market stock options depending on which one it is. For sheer options I'd go 700 but I've never not had good experiences with the three savages I've owned.
That's the one issue with Savages is the different configurations. Like centerfeed or staggerfeed magazines. Top bolt release (has the most aftermarket stock options) or bottom bolt release. Even action screw differences can come into play. If you go Savage LA then I'd get a centerfeed top bolt release. This is one of the reasons why I choose a new Remington (Remarms). Plus I've been to two of the factory armorer's course so I can work on them. I wouldn't have any issues working of a Savage either.

What style of shooting, maximum range, and intent purpose do you have for this new rifle? Is it for LR target shooting, PRS, or hunting?
Hunting primarily, but with the mindset of a precision shooter. I understand that there will deviation in POI between loads(more so with factory loads), but I feel if I miss my point of aim by too big of a margin, then it's unethical and ergo unacceptable. I've shot many of cheap firearms that couldn't hit water if you them out of a boat and have refused their brand(s) on my property as a result(even if it was lemon out of many). I here that a Boyd's stock will make the axis feel like another animal, but I'm wondering if I should get a better quality rifle for better/more consistent accuracy, longer barrel/parts life and overall build quality as it may end up getting beat around(not intentionally of course).

Edit: As far as distance/range, I keep it within the confines of the effectiveness of the round. I know people can hit paper with a .556 at 700+ yards, but I know it's not going to down anything at that distance...

Hunting primarily, but with the mindset of a precision shooter. I understand that there will deviation in POI between loads(more so with factory loads), but I feel if I miss my point of aim by too big of a margin, then it's unethical and ergo unacceptable. I've shot many of cheap firearms that couldn't hit water if you them out of a boat and have refused their brand(s) on my property as a result(even if it was lemon out of many). I here that a Boyd's stock will make the axis feel like another animal, but I'm wondering if I should get a better quality rifle for better/more consistent accuracy, longer barrel/parts life and overall build quality as it may end up getting beat around(not intentionally of course).

Edit: As far as distance/range, I keep it within the confines of the effectiveness of the round. I know people can hit paper with a .556 at 700+ yards, but I know it's not going to down anything at that distance...
Well it really depends on how well your existing Axis shoots, and how far you want to shoot it. I was shooting my AR15 loads out to 800 yards in 8 mph winds today. Heads shots on a steel ram at the 550 yards mark. But what matters is what you feel comfortable doing. I'd go pick up each of the rifles you spoke about and see which one feels better in your hands. If you choose a Savage just make sure to get a centerfeed, top bolt release and they have the barrel twist you want.

I recently had a dilemma of similar sorts, remington 700 or another savage. For me, both Savage and remington make darn good rifles. I cannot speak of the brand new Remingtons but i have multiple savages and older remingtons and they both shoot. My opinion was this: If keeping it factory, to me it is Ford VS chevy debate all day. If you are customizing yourself, there are many more remington parts readily available.

I am also crazy, so wound up with both.. But i can build on the remington more myself!

I recently had a dilemma of similar sorts, remington 700 or another savage. For me, both Savage and remington make darn good rifles. I cannot speak of the brand new Remingtons but i have multiple savages and older remingtons and they both shoot. My opinion was this: If keeping it factory, to me it is Ford VS chevy debate all day. If you are customizing yourself, there are many more remington parts readily available.

I am also crazy, so wound up with both.. But i can build on the remington more myself!
Very true statement. My concern lies with the quality of the new Rems. I had purchased a new 700sps 308 about 12 years ago from Academy Sports. I took it to the range and put about 50rds through it. Put it in the bag and went home. Went to clean a few days later and had several medium rust spots on the barrel. Combine that with multiple other issues with newer Rems, I didn't know if they had improved, degraded or stayed the same.