Remington 700 308

2guns

I have finally saved and bought a 700 5r milspec in 308. Been wanting it for a bench gun for a few years and I really like the HS precision stock and fluted barrel. So far I have just loaded up some cheaper bullets and fired at home to clean after each round for break in. Topped it off with 4.5x14x56 Nightforce and can't wait to get it zeroed in and hit the range to try some longer shots. I was using a Tikka CTR in 260 and 500 yards was best I could do to stay under moa. We on,y have 800 yard range here so I'm really hoping this one with a 175 match King will fit the bill for me. Anyone had much experience with the 5 r rifling in the Remington's. I have a few other Remmys that are hunting rifles and are tack drivers but this will be my first Remington bench rifle.

I have owned a few 5R's since their introduction in 308 and one in 300WM. They are all superb shooters requiring very little effort to produce sub .5MOA. The 5R barrels hold their POI, clean quickly, and will hold accuracy for well past 100 rounds between cleaning. The only mods I have made were to replace the trigger and glass bed the recoil lug area.

Not too hard to duplicate/improve the factory Fed GM Match 168. Too bad I pulled the last shot on the 200 yard group.....load was 43gr IMR4895, Win LR primer, Fed GM brass, 168SMK.

Attachments

• IMG_1324.jpg
    IMG_1324.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 18
I had a Sendero in a 300 win mag but it wasn't a great shooter and didn't reload at the time. I also had a 338 RUM in a Sendero that was a tack driver that I bought for a western bear hunt but found out it was way too heavy to tote in the mountains. I was going to try and build from a 110 Savage I had but the milspec already had the barrel and a real good floated stock. Other than a trigger job down the line I hope this one fits the bill out of the box. $1299.00 seemed like a fortune but I figured new barrel, new stock and the rifle would probably cost the same or more.
I'm still a little concerned about break in. I've only ran 3 through it and scrubbed and cleaned thoroughly after each shot. Thought I might run 3-5 shots through it a few times and clean some more. Some say yes and some say the first three shots are most important for any burs in the barrel to go away. I've only been shooting longer ranges for the past year and really enjoy banging steel at 500 and beyond. I haven't competed any but hope to some dY but if I never do I'll always know I can. Was taught to shoot longer ranges with a Garand my Dad had. He was a sniper in Koea in the marine Corp so he taught me at a young age of how to breathe and how not to flinch. Was curious if you have the 11.2 twist I have with those 168 grain groups. My old savage was a 1-10 twist and 177 Amax was about as low as I could go. I have a few hundred 175 Sierra match kings and about 300 federal match brass once fired. Maybe a hundred lake city brass that I really like but it needs annealed before loading anymore. I've been using Varget around 42 grains for he 178 to 189 grain bullets. I've got h4895 but no imr to try. Varget is getting scarce here now so I stocked up on imr 4064 last yeR. Using BR-2 match primers. Those are really good groups you have. Attached is picture of it. Not good picture but best I could do.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.