Savage VLP DBM 22-250 1:9

fxol

Hi Guys,

first post here, from Australia.

I'm looking for any info or experience you may have with this Rifle. I'm interested in what weight range of projectiles it will stabilise, particularly at the heavy end. I'm hoping up to 80 grns....?

I can't see too many factory rifles in 22-250 with a fast twist of 1:9 other than the Savage and the Ruger American at 1:10. I can get a Steyr SSG69 with a 1:9, but it is a big gun and heavier than the Savage which already has me concerned. I'd prefer a 22 or 24 inch barrel, as I want it as a walk around gun as well as a Varminter from a fixed position, but, for the right gun, I can live with the hefty weight. If you have know of any other factory rifles worth considering, please let me know.

Many thanks,

Frank.

Hi Guys,

first post here, from Australia.

I'm looking for any info or experience you may have with this Rifle. I'm interested in what weight range of projectiles it will stabilise, particularly at the heavy end. I'm hoping up to 80 grns....?

I can't see too many factory rifles in 22-250 with a fast twist of 1:9 other than the Savage and the Ruger American at 1:10. I can get a Steyr SSG69 with a 1:9, but it is a big gun and heavier than the Savage which already has me concerned. I'd prefer a 22 or 24 inch barrel, as I want it as a walk around gun as well as a Varminter from a fixed position, but, for the right gun, I can live with the hefty weight. If you have know of any other factory rifles worth considering, please let me know.

Many thanks,

Frank.

Welcome to LRH! A 1-9 in a .22-250 will stabilize a 75-77gr at max. The 80s are best when used out of a 1-7 or 1-8 twist. Try some 75gr Hornady

I don't own that particular savage, but I do own other savage rifles. Including a model 12 in 22-250. I'm willing to bet that rifle is more accurate than most shooters are capable of shooting it. If you are wanting to shoot bullets that heavy you may want to consider a 243.

Thanks both for the replies. I'm happy with 75 grns. I'm also sure it will be an accurate rifle, my dilemma now is will it be too heavy to lug around.

Theres a reason why most "hunting" rifles have light stocks and short skinny barrels. Heavier rifles are not always convenient. Especially if you expect to do some offhand shooting. I ran into that problem with my model 12. That 26'' heavy barrel is a real pain to make quick shots with. But I also have a model 10. It has a 24'' barrel and a different contour than the model 12. I use that rifle for everything. It's a lot handier than the model 12 and easier to swing.

Welcome, fxol; sure wish I was in sunny Australia right now!
Regarding your concern about weight: Might look at Savage's Predator Max I instead. This is the one with the Accustock and the fluted 24" barrel, which you can order through their custom shop with a faster twist. I've handled one and it's a manageable carry weight but still heavy enough for steady bench-type shooting. Pretty accurate from what I've seen/read. I actually just bought a "low end" Sako (A7) over that model Savage; kind of wish now I'd saved the extra $ and gone the other way....

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.