22-250 1-9" or 6mm Norma BR 1-8"

barm

I am thinking of buying a Savage 12 LRPV, but I can't make up my mind between these two cartridges. For shooting groundhogs 500+, which would you choose and why?

I'd take the 6mm BR hands down.
You can shoot heavier, higher bc bullets and at that distance, you'd see much less wind drift.
Great brass is available and the case design is extremely efficient and accurate.

I'd second or third or whatever the 6mm! A great round for reaching out with minimal wind drift. (Compared to the 22-250)

I have the 22-250 1:12". I love the gun, but I'm goin' to get the 6NormaBR as soon as I get the cash. This sounds like the all-around varmint gun. I did a lot of research on it in the past few months, and if I had it to do again, I'd buy the 6BR. 22-250 factory ammo is gonna be cheaper, but... If you handload...

Here's a review for the 12LRPV: Savage model 12 long range precision

Check out 6mmbr.com also, here's the link for that: http://www.6mmbr.com/6mmbr.html

From the tone of the posts, buy the 6BR lol.

Good luck, and keep us posted.

Thank you for the recommendations. I'll go with the 6mm Norma BR 1-8".

You wont regret it. The 22-250 is a great cartridge, but if you want 500+ you're talking about 80 class bullets and at that point I'd go to the 6mm.

22-250 Brass isn't as good, case stretch and less barrel life. The AI version is great but now you have to form.

6br Lapua brass, Lapua brass, Lapua brass, cases last forever, no stretch, no case prep for the most part, load, shoot and smile.

I shot a 22-250 since the early 90's and just switched to a 6br two years ago Since the switch my 500+ kills on g-hogs had doubled. Since i've had it the 65-284 has not been used. The BR filled the gap and more. You will love it.

Rimfire,

Which 6mm bullets have you tried in the 6mm BR? How is the expansion at 500+ yards?

Rimfire,

Which 6mm bullets have you tried in the 6mm BR? How is the expansion at 500+ yards?

I started with the 105 Berger and they shot great and had good expansion. I never got them to fully settle in and It had some two grouping. I played with seating depth for a while. Even though they two grouped the groups were great, with many sub 2" groups at 500.

I gave the 107 SMK's a try and they consistently shot great and I've been using them since. To date the longest G-Hog was 725 yards. The Bergers expanded better but the smk's shoot better in my gun.

It has also been used to take a bunch of deer. I started culling them with head and neck shots so I cant say how well the perform with body shots. So far I've only taken a few body shots and so far it looks good. I took a buck head on in the chest at just over 500 yards and it only went about 30 yards. I'll be using it this summer for crop damage and testing results on body shots.

I started with the 105 Berger and they shot great and had good expansion. I never got them to fully settle in and It had some two grouping. I played with seating depth for a while. Even though they two grouped the groups were great, with many sub 2" groups at 500.

I gave the 107 SMK's a try and they consistently shot great and I've been using them since. To date the longest G-Hog was 725 yards. The Bergers expanded better but the smk's shoot better in my gun.

It has also been used to take a bunch of deer. I started culling them with head and neck shots so I cant say how well the perform with body shots. So far I've only taken a few body shots and so far it looks good. I took a buck head on in the chest at just over 500 yards and it only went about 30 yards. I'll be using it this summer for crop damage and testing results on body shots.

Just don't wound them please. I hate to see deer run and not be caught. I shot one in the guts one time and we lost that one. The worst shot I have ever made. Lesson on making sure your aiming at the spot on the deer. We chased it for a little bit, but lost the trail. I was using a 243 w/ 100grn core lokt bullets. The only deer I ever lost.

Tank

Just don't wound them please. I hate to see deer run and not be caught. I shot one in the guts one time and we lost that one. The worst shot I have ever made. Lesson on making sure your aiming at the spot on the deer. We chased it for a little bit, but lost the trail. I was using a 243 w/ 100grn core lokt bullets. The only deer I ever lost.

Tank

"Just dont wound them please" It's hard to kill em without a good wound. I didn't say I was gut shooting them so I don't understand how this pertains?

Anyway thanks for the advice and try not to gut shoot anymore I hate to see them mortaly wounded only to die later also.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.