Savage Barrel Upgrade- .243 to .308

Dutch Jennings

I think this should fit into the "basics" subject and I searched to make sure I couldn't see any similar threads first, so please forgive if I'm wrong. I have an older Savage 110L J Series in .243 Win. that I'd like to re-barrel in .308 Win. I have located a Savage .308 take off barrel from a Savage Axis that I could refinish to match original better if it will work otherwise as far as fit. Since both are small shank Savage barrels should it work for me to make this swap if I buy this barrel? Thanks in advance for sharing on this subject!

watching ...

I starting piling in savage stuff from multiple sources to build one ... a savage 110 action, new machined barrel nut and recoil lug, a new take-off savage factory barrel in .22-250, and a used "should fit a savage no-name found" take-off barrel.

The action, nuts and barrels are all small shank, 20 tpi threads (measured with thread gauge), but the barrels turn into the action a half turn or so before they start to bind up. The factory nut and the after-market nut both turn onto both barrels about a half to 1 full turn before also starting to bind up.

In my younger day, I would have just applied bigger hammer/more torque and then regretted it. I'm looking for some help to figure out what's up.

Searching through all the online videos on swapping savage barrels, after breaking loose the barrel nut and action with a sharp rap on the wrenches, everything seems to easily spin apart.

Last edited:
Yes it will fit. There are a ton of videos on YouTube to help out but it's pretty dang easy to swap a Savage barrel with the right tools.

Savageshooters forum will have all you need and more to get it done. You're welcome to PM me if you can't figure it out.

watching ...

I starting piling in savage stuff from multiple sources to build one ... a savage 110 action, new machined barrel nut and recoil lug, a new take-off savage factory barrel in .22-250, and a used "should fit a savage no-name found" take-off barrel.

The action, nuts and barrels are all small shank, 20 tpi threads (measured with thread gauge), but the barrels turn into the action a half turn or so before they start to bind up. The factory nut and the after-market nut both turn onto both barrels about a half to 1 full turn before also starting to bind up.

In my younger day, I would have just applied bigger hammer/more torque and then regretted it. I'm looking for some help to figure out what's up.

Searching through all the online videos on swapping savage barrels, after breaking loose the barrel nut and action with a sharp rap on the wrenches, everything seems to easily spin apart.
Examine your threads carefully. Spins freely until you hit the guilty thread.

watching ...

The first time a barrel comes off a factory Savage action it will have some "grit" if you will. It feels like sand, no idea what it actually is. But once you clean up the threads on the barrel and inside the action threads it should spin easily especially with a little anti seize on threads. Don't use a lot of anti seize, a little goes a long way. Used too much once and regretted that lol.
I am not sure what the issue is with your action but you're smart not to force it. No point in messing stuff up further.

Thanks for the replies ... and apologies to Dutch Jennings if this ends up a thread hijack! Not my intent! I did see the factory grit in the receiver and cleaned it thoroughly with brake cleaner. I've got a machinist friend who's going to take a look at everything with me and hopefully educate me.

Most common response is "just take it to a gunsmith" and I know I could, but my goal is to learn the process, not just have a barrel and action put together.

Thanks for the tips, especially about Savageshooters, and the offer to help if I get stuck- will do. Yes, I've been most concerned about buying a barrel that won't thread on to this older rifle and lock up with the nut like it should etc. Sounds like I can go ahead with the purchase so thanks again!
Yes it will fit. There are a ton of videos on YouTube to help out but it's pretty dang easy to swap a Savage barrel with the right tools.

Savageshooters forum will have all you need and more to get it done. You're welcome to PM me if you can't figure it out.

Thanks for the replies ... and apologies to Dutch Jennings if this ends up a thread hijack! Not my intent! I did see the factory grit in the receiver and cleaned it thoroughly with brake cleaner. I've got a machinist friend who's going to take a look at everything with me and hopefully educate me.

Most common response is "just take it to a gunsmith" and I know I could, but my goal is to learn the process, not just have a barrel and action put together.

I started playing with Savages because of an outrageous gunsmith bill my dad received. (The Smith is now out of business) It made me decide I better give it a try, so I get wanting to do it yourself. After bolt guns I started playing with ARs so far no gunsmith costs on either and all shoot really well.
I may have someone put together my next one since it's all premium parts but who knows I might get brave lol.

I started playing with Savages because of an outrageous gunsmith bill my dad received. (The Smith is now out of business) It made me decide I better give it a try, so I get wanting to do it yourself. After bolt guns I started playing with ARs so far no gunsmith costs on either and all shoot really well.
I may have someone put together my next one since it's all premium parts but who knows I might get brave lol.
I try to do the same when I can. Learning how to fix things and be self-sufficient needs to become the American way again more than it has been in recent years. Especially heading into harder times, I look for things to swing back that way more and more. It's great to be able to come onto a forum like this and have other sportsmen here to keep us all learning as we go along.

I don't understand why you would swap from 243 to 308 it's like swapping a cheetah for a mountain loin.

I don't know about that specific model, but I do have newer 110 long actions. I've been told the threads of a small nut are the same thread size and pitch of a sendro? I'm currently building 2 110la and have the tools for doing the work (nut wrench, action wrench and headspace guages). I could lend you the necessary tools if needed?

I think this should fit into the "basics" subject and I searched to make sure I couldn't see any similar threads first, so please forgive if I'm wrong. I have an older Savage 110L J Series in .243 Win. that I'd like to re-barrel in .308 Win. I have located a Savage .308 take off barrel from a Savage Axis that I could refinish to match original better if it will work otherwise as far as fit. Since both are small shank Savage barrels should it work for me to make this swap if I buy this barrel? Thanks in advance for sharing on this subject!
Easy. All you need is a head space gauge the proper wrenchs to deal with the barrel nut. You can get a bighorn nut that uses a normal wrench vs the special savage.

I don't know about that specific model, but I do have newer 110 long actions. I've been told the threads of a small nut are the same thread size and pitch of a sendro? I'm currently building 2 110la and have the tools for doing the work (nut wrench, action wrench and headspace guages). I could lend you the necessary tools if needed?
Thanks much for the post and the offer. I have several Savage rifles and various barrels for them now so I am going to buy the tools and gauges I need to do it right. I don't reload as of yet, and I'm finding that 30-06 and .308 are much cheaper and more available so for now those are what I'll be shooting mostly. Thanks.