First thing to upgrade?

aj427ci

Ok, so I just purchased a new post recall rem 700 sps 300win mag. This isnt my first 300 but first remington. I have a good scope and bases/ring so that is taken care of. This will be my primary hunting rifle and my long range learning rifle. I know there are alot of aftermarket "upgrades" for these rifles but what would some of you guys suggest to replace/upgrade first money doesnt grow on trees in this part of colorado so this rifle will take sometime to be built to match quality specs lol. Thanks for the advice in advance gun)

Is the factory Remington plastic stock worth messing with? Or just replace with a quality aftermarket?

Ok, so I just purchased a new post recall rem 700 sps 300win mag. This isnt my first 300 but first remington. I have a good scope and bases/ring so that is taken care of. This will be my primary hunting rifle and my long range learning rifle. I know there are alot of aftermarket "upgrades" for these rifles but what would some of you guys suggest to replace/upgrade first money doesnt grow on trees in this part of colorado so this rifle will take sometime to be built to match quality specs lol. Thanks for the advice in advance gun)
Have a good bedding job done on it, make sure it's floated fully and get a trigger job done or put in an aftermarket trigger and you'll be off to the races.

If you plan to shoot a lot add a good muzzle brake otherwise odds are you'll develop a flinch sooner rather than later.

Is the factory Remington plastic stock worth messing with? Or just replace with a quality aftermarket?

If it is the Tupperware stock Replace it. If it is a fiberglass composite it will be ok. Just bed it when you can.

J E CUSTOM

Agree, stock and trigger are the best bang for the buck. But not the Tupperware, replace it.

+1 on the trigger. $200 drop in and off to the races. Makes the best shooter interface upgrade for the money.

I get the stock upgrade but it is at least $400 - $500 and not a drop in. So the gun goes down for awhile. So the trigger is my first choice.

KB

I was in the same boat , new Remington. First thing I bought was a Jewell trigger, stock came next. My rifle shoots very well with the factory barrel so it will stay for a while but that will be the next upgrade.

Bob

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.