Newbie 243 or 308

MattD

I've been shooting a 270 and a 243 for years and I like both calibers. My selection of guns is limited. Ruger Mark 2 in 270, Ruger old style tang saftey 243 heavy barrell which I bedded the action and floated the barrell w/ harris bipod,and a 243 remington Sportsman 78.All have leopold scopes.I would like to shoot longer ranges more accurately and after spending considerable time reading on this board and others have found that no one really recomends a 270 other than an Allen mag, and there is nothing much said at all about the 243.I'm considering tradeing of the 270 for a rem sendero 308 for a beginner long range gun but am up in the air on the rem 243.Would like a lighter gun for closer work (600 yds coyote), (300 yds mule deer) Plan to re-barrel the rem 788 for better accuracy. Like the 243,heard a lot about the 6.5-284, even considered the 308 for versitility.Any recomendations or advice would be greatly appreciated.Love the site, wife hates it cause she has to drag me away from the computer every night. I'm just getting started w/ reloading if that helps w/ the answers

Hello MattD,

I am by no means an expert but from what little I know I would go with the .308 .
I have a Sendero in 25-06 and wish everyday that I bought the .308 which by the way I will have it rebarell to that cartrige at the end of this year even though it still shoot poly good.
You mentioned that you reload but should you decide to go factory there's lots of good and cheap .308 rounds out there.
Hope this help.

I say go w/the .243 and don't look back. I've got a .243 in a Savage 12BVSS. I shoot the 105 Amaxs and have had excellent results. This combo will ballistically beat the pants off of the .308 downrange. Sure the .308 may carry a little more energy, but the drop and drift of the .243 will be dramatically less.

I think all your answers are good. The 243win is about perfect for coyote/deer/antelope out to 600yds, shooting the 105gr A-max or 107gr SMK. The 308win is a decent mid-range starter round, its really a 6-800yrd round as well. There isnt anything wrong with a 270win. It can do pretty much anything the .308 can. With 140gr BT's it is fine for 6-800yrd hunting. You can get all exotic with this but basicly it sounds like you got the idea.

Thanks for all the great advice. This is an excellent site full of helpfull and friendly people.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.