1888336y

Hello everybody, I am 15 years old, and I have a love for shooting. I am in a dilemma of sorts because I want to get into the 1000 yard game and I only have $1200 to do it. Would it be at all possible to get a capable 1000 yard gun with good optics for this money? I happen to live in Ashe county NC, about 45 mins. away from hawks nest 1000 yard range.... hearing about this range really sparked my interest. I am an experienced shooter, up to 300 yards anyway, and I am not bothered by magnum calibers..... any suggestions? Adam H.

Welcome aboard.

Here's my quick tho't:
My answer would be Yes! You can get in the game for 1200 bucks and probably have some to spare, maybe.

Caliber/Cartridge selection will determine the rest of the expenses.

I don't think that a magnum is need for pure 1K competition.

I'm hoping that others will chime in with more specific advice as I'm thinking that something like a 243/6PPC/Dasher etc would be plenty sufficient. And wouldn't cost an arm and a leg to shoot.

Do you currently do any reloading???

If so then some of the expense is out of the way. If not, set aside @ least $300 for reloading gear. This will get you the bare minimum you need to get started.

Now go buy yourself a Savage. Something w/a heavy bbl. If your not afraid of the mags, go w/the 300 WSM. If you want something w/a little less punch, go w/a .243. Savage has a 9.25 twist bbl and you should be able to stabalize a 105 gr bullet for 1000 yd stuff. They make a 12FV that can be had for about $425.

As far as optics go, it's going to be tough. I would maybe look @ the Tasco Super Sniper. They are fixed power but I've heard they are very good for the money and track very well. Might also want to look @ the nikons.

I'm sure others will have some more advice for you. Just hang around here, read alot of old posts and you'll learn a lot. Don't rush your descision. Think it through and get the most out of that $1200.

I do reload, so all I would need to buy would be dies/brass/bullets.... I was thinking about the savage 12FVSS .300WSM, with a nikon buckmaster 4.5-14x40 or 6-18x40 scope both with side focus..... has anyone had any experience with these scopes or rifle???

Bigboy
You might want to go to some shoots and let the word out that you are a beginner looking for a starter rifle.

Lots of shooters have several guns and sell and buy guns.
plus you could see how it shoots before buying.
maybe someone has an accurate "stock" gun and are going to go custom,

Good luck and save some money for bullets!!

CAM

bigboy,
A Savage FV & a Mueller scope would make an affordable starter setup that will suprize people with it's capabilities.

Go here http://www.savageshooters.net/SavageForum/index.php & tell them your story. They can answer any questions you would have about Savage rifles.

Mueler Scopes are here http://www.muelleroptics.com/

If you want to accurize or upgrade the gun in any way http://www.savageshooters.net/sharpshooters/ specializes in tuning Savage rifles.

I have the Buckmaster 4.5 X 14 40. Look at the Muellers, they are much brighter.

Good luck with whatever you setup with.

DK

Thanks everybody for your help. I think I am going to go with a 12FV .243 and scrap the old stock, and set the barreled action into a SSS SVT stock. I will put a 10x42mm super sniper scope on top using ken farrell 20MOA base, and burris signature rings. I think I can do all of this for about $1200. And maybe a harris bipod. Most of my good long range shooting has been done off a bipod... I can get the 12FV in .243, .308, .22-250, and .223. I am thinking the .243, as I can use it on varmints using lighter bullets. Does this setup sound good?

Bigboy,

I think you're on the right track w/ the savage fv 12 but the 10x scope might be a little bit of a low on magnification.I have a 6x18 40mm nikon w/side focus and consider it a nice scope.I'll never own another scope w/o side focus ,i varmint hunt and the old fashion adjustable objective is just that -old fashion.
Midsouth had them for $275 a short time ago.
As far as the ken farrel bases i don't "think" you'll need them if you use the burris offset insert kit -$10.I use them and swear by them for getting and keeping your scope in the middle of the adjustment range.
The .243 is hard to beat w/the fast twist and heavy bc bullets.
Well best of luck to you -Mike

bigboy,

don't forget to check ebay for a good scope, there are a lot of them on there, and I have gotten some great deals on leupold mk4's on there. some of the models go for real close to retail, but some of the not as popular models can be had for a great discount.
figure out how much you want to spend, and don't bid on the auction until, literally, the last 30sec-1min enter your bid and see what happens...
good luck

I guess I'll toss in my .02.
The Savage is definately a plan.
Personally, I'd buy some pawn shop long action... Cracked stock and sporter weight .270 or what ever. All you need is the action.
Next I'd get an air gauged match barrel from any of the top companies. Douglas, Shilen, Lilja (I think that's how that last one's spelled) and get that installed on my action. You should be up to about $650 by now.
Buy a pillar bedded stock of some flavor. Try free floating the barrel first (which you can do at home with sand paper and a socket) if that doesn't work, try bedding the barrel.
Next you'll need brass, primers, bullets, powder, maybe a shell holder, dies.
Take what ever $ is left over and throw it at a scope... All of it! Ebay was a great suggestion, Nazchez's bargan cave or whatever they call it can have some great deals too. I picked up a 6 - 25 Sightron for $300 from them a few years back.
Take care,
Coyoter

Hey Ya'll. I found an insanely awesome deal! I'm not going to say just where yet hehe... Ok. The gun is a Savage model 10FP action with the 20 inch heavy barrel glass bedded into a Mcmillan hunter class benchrest stock and topped off with a Burris Black Diamond 8-32x44mm. It is chambered in .308. I went to all the discount store websites and added the total cost of all components. They came to $1486, + shipping. I am getting the gun for $690 delivered /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif well thank you all for your help, gunman

sounds like a great deal! just hope your not hunting brushy areas with that scope, other than that sounds good. ya can't go wrong with the old .308

have fun

I would suggest you really put EVERYTHING you WANT down on paper and see what you really have. In just skimming through your posts, I would not really recomend any of this. Hopefully you are not planning on spending all the money you have on a rifle? I know every time I buy a gun and then order slings,bipods,bullets,powder,rings,bases,ammo boxes, dies,bushing,and all the crappie accessories I spend big bucks. Its probably always double what I plan. If you reload then you already have rifles, and my suggestion would be to get out and really use what you have at your disposal.
Buying a 20" barreled rifle is a waste for LR. Also scrapping the barrel and stock right away are very expensive. I dont think any 15 YO kids are ready for a LR rig. There are alot of more important things unless you just have lots of extra cash burning a hole in your pocket.
GUN 1200 ( maybe)
Range finder ($$$)
Spotting scope ($$$)
GAS to go hunting ($$$)
ammo bullets are about 25 per 100 and powder is about the same per pound
If I add the cost of the spotter, rangefinder and rifle scope that I have they add up to well over the cost of your rifle. I would try to be realistic, take the largest caliber rifle you have and set your self goals, ie an animal at 100,200,300,400 out to 600. After you have completed this and one year passes, then if you want the same things, do it. Just my .02

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.